Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Sound Conservancy to buy the Bluebird Inn

Crains says that the Detroit Sound Conservancy will buy the storied Bluebird Inn at 5021 Tireman. City Council approved the sale recently. The building is on the dangerous buildings list, so they first need to improve the building enough to get off the list.

The Bluebird Inn was a hot spot for jazz. Top acts played there in the '50s and '60's, including Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Sonny Stitt and Cannonball Adderley. Miles Davis was featured in the house band for about six months.

The Conservancy hopes to raise enough money to refurbish the club into their headquarters, and even more money to bring live jazz there again. A few years ago, they acquired the stage from the Inn; they hope to reunite them soon.

How cool would it be to hear jazz in the same venue Bird and Trane played?

This is great news if it comes to pass. I truly thought the Bluebird was a goner, and it truly is an important site in the history of not only local music but music that was important and influential around the world.

Oh, and thank you for the Elvin Jones interview link. He was someone my parents knew back in those days, and I see a lot of familiar names and old places in his words.