Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where to get news ?

If it's NOT on the internet is it still news ?
    Circulation is way, way down with the newspapers.

• Detroit Free Press – 245,326.
      Detroit News – 146,962.
      Grand Rapids Press – 97,822.
      The Oakland Press – 64,276.
      The Macomb Daily – 49,402.
      Lansing State Journal – 44,722.
      The Flint Journal – 42,218.
      Kalamazoo Gazette – 40,524.

http://www.abyznewslinks.com/unitemi.htm

Gosh, what happened to the circulation of the paper I used to deliver? [[The Detroit Times.) LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Gosh, what happened to the circulation of the paper I used to deliver? [[The Detroit Times.) LOL

The Times have changed.

I doubt Warren will see another Newspaper

Recent passing of the founder and publisher of the Warren Weekly
    and a whole host of other weekly metro newspapers under
    Gilbert Demers owner/publisher of C & G publications
    Gil and his wife Charlotte, - started C & G [[Gilbert & Charlotte )
    approximately 40 years ago or so.

BUT - I read that on Facebook -- and no I don't have a link
    Last edited by O3H; March-12-19 at 05:35 PM.

The very first electronic news I ever received was before 1980 over a 300 baud acoustic modem. The service and phone call were absolutely free. [[I felt so guilty.) It was so cool to get the news any time you wanted instead of having to wait for the nightly news. It was like having your own personal ticker tape.

It was from Dow Jones so it must have been an experimental precursor to the Dow Jones News/Retrieval service.

I still prefer reading a hardcopy newspaper today. Go figure.

Dad was a Detroit News electrician tasked with cleaning out parts of the Times plant. I still have two brass desk lamps, and there were several other mementos when his basement was finally cleared out. I never delivered it but I used lots of scratch paper from there. Now I suppose we have to explain scratch paper.

To those that invest in local newspapers and have a subscription, we journalists thank you. It helps us do our jobs to the best of our abilities.

It's stressful, difficult, sometimes we're fed up with it, but we love what we do. Keep investing, if you want to know what's going on, contact us, ask us questions, we're there to keep you informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    The Times have changed.
    Dad level: 1,000,000

Not gonna lie, I liked that joke.

I still prefer reading a hardcopy newspaper today. Go figure.
    A $2 weekday newspaper? My sticker shock was $1.50 ago.
    Last edited by Bigb23; March-12-19 at 09:35 PM.

Keep investing, if you want to know what's going on, contact us, ask us questions, we're there to keep you informed.
    Don't misunderstand me, I'm all up for you guy's. I'm so sick and tired of Fake news and witch hunts, witch news, fake witches, And witch collusion.
    Last edited by Bigb23; March-12-19 at 10:21 PM.

Some seek out "news" from various sources and read deliberately
    - others expect it spoon fed to them in snippets for zero thought/analysis

When was the last time someone said they
    read the 5 page article in _________ magazine ?

THIS is the substance of most of what is read in the USA
    Top 10 U.S. Magazines by Circulation

An intelligent citizen as a good steward in their community, WOW.
    Attempting to have a real meaningful educated conversation is tough !!!
    CIVICS = the study of the duties of citizenship.

No wonder so many get duped by politicians , doublespeak, and propaganda
    Last edited by O3H; March-12-19 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    ...I still prefer reading a hardcopy newspaper today. Go figure.
    One benefit of hardcopy is that you get a tactile sense of the beginning and the end of the news.

I believe hardcopy has a greater trust relationship between the editor and the reader.

If I accidentally click on whitespace online, it abruptly takes me off the page I'm currently reading.

I now buy a $2 hardcopy paper and read it over several days until I've completed it at my own pace. Amortized, it costs less than $2/day.
    Last edited by Jimaz; March-12-19 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Yeah, for like 8 total pages. The Sunday edition might be 30 pages now instead of over an inch thick. The total paper now is less pages than the Classifieds section alone used to be.

You can read the Sunday Macomb Daily in about 10 minutes. I still buy the Sunday Freep just for the crossword puzzles. Cutting coupons used to pay for the paper, now they are available elsewhere.

What amazes me today is that most of the International stories featured on the Internet or cable news networks used to be buried on page 13 of your weekly Sunday paper 30 years ago, and most people could have cared less about any of them. Now everyone has a misinformed opinion about them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    You can read the Sunday Macomb Daily in about 10 minutes. I still buy the Sunday Freep just for the crossword puzzles. Cutting coupons used to pay for the paper, now they are available elsewhere.

What amazes me today is that most of the International stories featured on the Internet or cable news networks used to be buried on page 13 of your weekly Sunday paper 30 years ago, and most people could have cared less about any of them. Now everyone has a misinformed opinion about them all.

The internet has a different reporting system, "clicks". As long as people keep clicking on the Kardasians, the managers figure that's what people want. The papers used circulation, coupons, and name dropping. [[mention the Times, and get 5% off) It's a different world.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    To those that invest in local newspapers and have a subscription, we journalists thank you. It helps us do our jobs to the best of our abilities.

It's stressful, difficult, sometimes we're fed up with it, but we love what we do. Keep investing, if you want to know what's going on, contact us, ask us questions, we're there to keep you informed.
    I agree and wherever you are in journalism, I hope you can hang in there. Your role is essential to our democracy and society. Your work is heroic, if underpaid and tenuous.

For my part, if I use something regularly and appreciate it, I subscribe. I have subscribed to Crain's for 25 years, donated to WDET and WUOM public radios for decades, sub to WIRED, and have digital subs to the NY Times [paying a buck more a month more for the crossword puzzle access] and the Detroit Free Press. Additionally I throw in spot donations to the Guardian and Wikipedia.

Regarding the Free Press, it is very inexpensive, $29 a years. What a deal! With that I get a digital version of the paper that looks exactly like the print version. I love the big print layout, even though I have to scroll around a bit, on my laptop of iPad or phone.

Finally thanks those of you who have donated to or subscribed to this site and get to view this site ad free. :-)

I have a [Royal Oak] Daily Tribune from, I believe the early 60s, the amount of international news on the front page is remarkable.

Very true.

I used to listen to the CBC to hear international news that the American papers put on page 13.

Do you think this means that we are becoming more engaged? Could more informed follow?

I, for one, think that there is hope for a more informed citizenry through better communications. Sure, Twitter is a censor's dream. But as people figure that out, they may also figure out where they need to go for uncensored news.

We can hope.

Since we live in the World, not on an island called Detroit,
    news can come in foreign languages as well, adding perspective.

Don't speak a foreign language, go learn one.
    Otherwise Try BabelFish - translate entire webpages

https://www.babelfish.com/about-us/

Also : Google Translate extension for Chrome

See the USA as others see us - about 200 countries exist on the planet

Immigrant newspapers add a unique view on Detroit as well.

https://www.cmich.edu/library/clarke...ewspapers.aspx

One thing that astounded me was the 2009 decision of Booth Newspapers to stop daily publication of most of their newspapers like the Bay City Times, Saginaw News, Flint Journal, Ann Arbor News and Jackson Citizen-Patroit. That absolutely floored me when they decided to go to primarily web content with M-Live, to me a poor substitute.

While I'm at it, What ever happened to the Parker Publications string of suburban weeklys like the Highland Parker, Ferndale Gazette-Times and others. At one time they published 6 or 7 local newspapers.

The Detroit Free Press is shockingly bad. I support print journalism as a proud ink-stained wretch, but I won't touch one of those things again except for the Sports section. The killer for me was back when I had a subscription, the entire international section on one particular day consisted of exactly one article [[ripped from the AP) - about Michael Jackson.

New York Times subscriptions are at a 13-year high. Their writing is impeccable, for the most part. Their domestic coverage is a little slanted for my taste [[even being left of center) but I truly believe they're doing their best. They post corrections; they post opposing views.

Ann Arbor News is good, too, for a small paper.

I mean, 15 years ago the death of print was seen as inevitable but we've seen it can survive and sometimes thrive if it has a digital arm and doesn't SUCK as bad as the Free Press.

The Detroit papers have just fallen too far in terms of quality.

Multiple sources, differing views , allows people to actually Think.
    One news source is considered propaganda

Is this the link that isn't there?
    https://www.candgnews.com/news/remem...-demers-112356
    Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    I doubt Warren will see another Newspaper

Recent passing of the founder and publisher of the Warren Weekly
    and a whole host of other weekly metro newspapers under
    Gilbert Demers owner/publisher of C & G publications
    Gil and his wife Charlotte, - started C & G [[Gilbert & Charlotte )
    approximately 40 years ago or so.

BUT - I read that on Facebook -- and no I don't have a link

Being a genealogist of sorts, I'm always looking up stories about ancestors in the newspapers of the various towns they lived in. Back about 1900, the papers were full of tidbits of parties and events [[not to mention vitals!) that took pages and pages. Alas, the genealogists of the next century will not have that benefit.

Information has been devalued and mixed with opinion [[hehe) way too much throughout all the media. I'm waiting for the Detroit News to cut me off online. Make me pay, its the only way.

What happened to the future of dropping dimes into the pockets of journalists everytime you viewed an article online? WIRED had a great piece on this recently. The pay button is missing from online articles and would be an easy way to contribute.

Online news has really separated us though. The FREEP or News will run a major story, but the headline will disappear in 2 hours. Next up is some b.s. about the Tigers, Lions or some violent crime. There are no major headlines, just a carousel of clickbait and I think it hurts our focus and morality.

I get the NYTimes, WSJ [[crazy expensive), Washington Post and throw in some dollars for Wikipedia, Guardian here and there. The News still runs good stories but the Freep has fallen behind. I should just pay the News and support these hard working journalists.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast