Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    When was the last time someone said they
    read the 5 page article in _________ magazine ?

THIS is the substance of most of what is read in the USA
    Top 10 U.S. Magazines by Circulation

Game Informer Magazine is a private magazine, put out by Game Stop to their rewards program members. You get it automatically when you join whether you want it or not. I'm hard pressed to view this a a true subscription/circulation rate for people who may actually be reading anything in this publication. I receive it as a Game Stop rewards member, but never read it. It isn't anything I would purchase from a store. It goes in my recycle bag every month. I speculate the AARP Bulletin is the same, a private magazine going to AARP members.

I used to get the Lapeer County Press back during the depths of the recent recession. Pretty bad to see five to ten pages of legal foreclosures every week on farms and homes in a rural county. That and the divorce notices. Sad times.
    Last edited by Bigb23; March-14-19 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Being a genealogist of sorts, I'm always looking up stories about ancestors in the newspapers of the various towns they lived in. Back about 1900, the papers were full of tidbits of parties and events [[not to mention vitals!) that took pages and pages. Alas, the genealogists of the next century will not have that benefit.
    True, but they will have 9 million selfies of their ancestor, and know what they had for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Yeah, for like 8 total pages. The Sunday edition might be 30 pages now instead of over an inch thick. The total paper now is less pages than the Classifieds section alone used to be.
    There was nothing quite like the satisfying thunk of the Sunday morning paper hitting the storm door and landing on the door mat. Then there was the pleasure of wading though the paper with multiple comics, many features, and extensive news [[local, national, international, sports, financial). Now, the newspaper is only a thin gruel.

How many remember the phrase :
    "Don't disturb you father he's reading the newspaper" ?
    or something pretty close to that affect.

Now, in today's world, few set aside 30 minutes ,
    to actually read entire articles, in depth, from beginning to end.

Items like twitter, facebook, instagram, etc. are all about Brevity.
    Scan, on to the next, next, next,next without much deep thought.

Thinking is a skill, that can be honed, but there has to be a will to use it.

Edward de Bono : ""Little attention is paid to the skill of thinking. There is a belief that information and intelligence are enough. Intelligence is like the horsepower of a car but thinking is the skill with which the car is driven. There are some highly intelligent people who are poor thinkers and some less intelligent people, who are better at thinking.""

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2