Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rep. Omars Comments - Impact? Where Do We Go From Here...?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-anti-semitism

Ilhan Omar’s tweet revealed core truths about anti-Semitism in America

Omar’s tweet was bad. But the Republican reaction was profoundly hypocritical.

From article:

After the Muslim Congress member tweeted Sunday night that American political leaders’ support for Israel is “all about the Benjamins,” a political firestorm broke out over the question of whether the tweet was anti-Semitic. Omar apologized on Monday under pressure from the House Democratic leadership, who issued a unified statement condemning her comments. On Tuesday, President Trump called on her to resign her seat in Congress.

There’s an air of farce about all of this. Her tweet really was troubling, but the reaction to it has devolved into a partisan fight by bad-faith actors that obscures the reality of how anti-Semitism works in the United States....

....The fact that Omar apologized under pressure, and that Trump and McCarthy have never faced real consequences for their use of anti-Semitic tropes, tells you everything you need know about the politics of anti-Semitism in modern America.

This is not to minimize Omar’s offense: Her tweet was ignorant at best, and she was right to apologize.

If we’re trying to understand anti-Semitism in American politics, though, we need to be clear-eyed about where all the problems are — and what’s being done to address them.

There are two core truths about this incident. First, Omar’s statement was unacceptable. Second, Republicans going after her — including the president — should spend less time on Democrats and more time dealing with the far worse anti-Semitism problem on the right.

Why Omar’s comments deserved pushback

In the day and a half since Omar’s initial comments, a number of left-wing writers have emerged to defend her. They argue that Omar was attempting to point out the financial clout of the pro-Israel lobby — the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, or AIPAC — and not to make generalizations about Jews. The pushback against Omar, they say, is part of a broader campaign to smear a young Muslim congresswoman and silence criticism of Israel.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-12-19 at 06:46 PM.

If the reference is to money, I fully agree. It's all about the money. The existence of the state of Israel has been a thorn in the side of the region since the UN plopped it there in the 50s. That never should have happened.

On the broader scale, it's not an exception. Almost everything in Congress is about the money, paid political lobbyists and payola. It's how this country works today.

No doubt Republicans will milk this for all its worth but "All about the Benjamins" takes in a little more than just Israeli policy. First, Democrats tried to water down this incident by equating Omar's specific anti-Jewish quote with generalized Islamophobia. Phase two is to point at Republicans as if they put those words in her mouth. The Democratic Party's obfuscation of their muddle is in full swing.
    Last edited by oladub; March-12-19 at 02:04 PM.

Push comes to shove just throw in the,it’s all about the money and or oil.

Israel has nukes,money and can kick ass and hold their own when confronted,they do not really need us.

To even bring them up outside of the scope of they are an ally like so many others that we support shows an agenda or just being anti Jewish.

But then when one considers the source,what did we really expect to happen?

She is Muslim and really is not going to support or agree with anything amercian related anyways,even more so anything to do with Christianity or Judaism,she just proved it.
    Last edited by Richard; March-12-19 at 03:50 PM.

We don’t need muslim omars to accept our refuge and then tell us how we should behave when they can’t successfully run the shithole countries they all want to escape from.
    Last edited by coracle; March-13-19 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    We don’t need muslim omars to accept our refuge and then tell us how we should behave when they can’t successfuly run the shithole countries they all want to escape from.
    You mean like Cassius Clay who became known by a different name?

We don’t need muslim omars to accept our refuge and then tell us how we should behave when they can’t successfuly run the shithole countries they all want to escape from.

....racist

How is it racist,try moving to Spain and tell them they need to change the system around to suit your personal needs and beliefs.

People escape to America, then bitch about it and try and change it into what they left,how come they just did not stay where they were at and make change there?

As screwed up as our system is,it has seemed to work for the last 200 plus years and people still seem to be in a rush to come here,so why change it?

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    ....racist
    “muslim” is a follower of the religion of Islam; not a “race”. I’m not sure why you immediately think in terms of race as soon as someone questions another’s intent, unless you have a problem yourself.

We don’t need muslim omars to accept our refuge and then tell us how we should behave when they can’t successfully run the shithole countries they all want to escape from.
    Are you referring to Israel?

Omar is from Minnesota, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Are you referring to Israel?

Omar is from Minnesota, BTW.
    i
    Omar was born in Mogadishu. She represents a MN district populated largely by Somalis initially brought in by Bill Clinton after his fiasco in Somalia and subsequent chain migration.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    i
    Omar was born in Mogadishu. She represents a MN district populated largely by Somalis initially brought in by Bill Clinton after his fiasco in Somalia and subsequent chain migration.
    This is all nonsense.

Omar lives in Minnesota. Your fabrications about her district sounds like it was cribbed from Breitbart or Infowars.

In reality, Minnesota's 5th congressional district is an affluent, mostly white district, roughly 70% white, and with relatively few blacks, to say nothing of a district populated largely by Somalis brought in by Bill Clinton?!
    Last edited by Bham1982; March-13-19 at 12:10 PM.

This is all nonsense.

Omar lives in Minnesota. Your fabrications about her district sounds like it was cribbed from Breitbart or Infowars.
    But in post 11 you wrote that "Omar is from Minnesota". Omar was born in Mogadishu. She didn't come to the US until she was 14 and didn't become a citizen until she was 17. The Somali Cedar Riverside [[google images) neighborhood in Minneapolis is as close to Mogadishu as one can find in this country though if that's what you meant. The Wikipedia article also included a paragraph about the history of Somalis coming to the Twin Cities in the 1980's when Clinton was President. My two links, 'fabrications' to you, were from Wikipedia and NPR.

In reality, Minnesota's 5th congressional district is an affluent, mostly white district, roughly 70% white, and with relatively few blacks, to say nothing of a district populated largely by Somalis brought in by Bill Clinton?!
    I can't help Democrats. If they wanted to elect someone to represent Palestinians, that is up to them. She should be asked if she refutes Sharia Law as an indication of who she represents. St. Louis Park is part of her district. Its relatively high percentage of Jewish residents should be asking to get their money back if they voted for her.

The NPR article I linked to provided the associations between Minnesota's Somali population and terrorist links.

^^^ I'm surprised NPR reported/ archived that... thought that be the fodder of the right-winger news media, solely...... like Breitbart or Infowars
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-14-19 at 07:54 AM.

https://theintercept.com/2019/02/12/...-destroyed-it/

What makes this
    whole row over Omar’s remarks so utterly bizarre is that so many leading Democrats, loudly and rightly, decry the pernicious and undeniable impact of special interests, lobbyists, and donations on a whole host of issues — from the role of Big Pharma and Big Finance; to
    influence-peddling by Saudi Arabia
    ; to the “grip” that the NRA has on the debate over gun control, to
    Democratic senator Richard Blumenthal. But any mention of AIPAC and lobbying in favor of Israel? “
    Anti-Semitism!

They are all in it as thick as thieves

Soros contrubited over $500 million into Kamala Harris campaign and over $21 million to support the progressive left.

^^^ Oh NO! You mentioned the dreaded Soros name. You're in the dog house now!!

^ AND I misspelt a word,that aut to get em going real good now.

You see they took out the boss.

Evidently the Judge Jennine Pirro show has been canned by Fox because she actually had the audacity to ask of the hijab wearing omar “Is her adherence to this Islamic doctrine indicative of her adherence to Shariah law, which in itself is antithetical to the United States Constitution?”

So Pirro’s comments re muslims had consequences for her, but the hijab wearing omar’s comments re Jews are excused because she’s muslim and we don’t want to offend a muslim.
    Last edited by coracle; March-17-19 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ^ AND I misspelt a word,that aut to get em going real good now.

You see they took out the boss.
    Nah, what got me wasn't your standard issue misspelling but the 500 million dollar figure. Another bullshit post.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Nah, what got me wasn't your standard issue misspelling but the 500 million dollar figure. Another bullshit post.
    Yea,a little common sense would have recognized I had mixed the numbers up,do you have anything of substance to add or just another BS post as usual?

https://www.opensecrets.org/members-...915&cycle=2018

I read a reference to an unconfirmed report on lucianne.com that omar may have “married” her brother to get him a visa [[not the credit card one).

I guess because she denies it, it’s never been resolved because our fake “news” hasn’t got the ball’s to question a muslim in case it offends them [[the muslim; that is; not the fake news). You have to be a Christian, republican, male, normal, white or Trump to get their shitty attention; or just not CAIR.

I read a reference to an unconfirmed report on lucianne.com that omar may have “married” her brother to get him a visa [[not the credit card one).

I guess because she denies it, it’s never been resolved because our fake “news” hasn’t got the ball’s to question a muslim in case it offends them [[the muslim; that is; not the fake news). You have to be a Christian, republican, male, normal, white or Trump to get their shitty attention; or just not CAIR.
    It is against Islamic law to marry your sibling. If in fact she did, I doubt very much she would have received any support from any of the Islamic community. Also if she disrespected her own religious community by doing so, that would make any points towards her allegiance to Sharia Law totally moot....kind of like having Donald Trump sign your family bible after divorcing twice, paying off high-class hookers, and publicly lusting after his own daughter. Wouldn't that be an absurd reality ? Both books have instructions to sacrifice your brother or your son if God commands...but marrying your mother, daughter, or sister, just isn't allowed. Also, this was all discussed previously on an episode of Fox Fear News featuring the now bow-tieless Tucker Carlson. It had no legs.

History suggests that blindly following invisible beings and the instructions of 5,000 year old books, no matter their ilk, are surely a recipe for success, especially when it comes to global politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Yea,a little common sense would have recognized I had mixed the numbers up,do you have anything of substance to add or just another BS post as usual?

https://www.opensecrets.org/members-...915&cycle=2018
    Nice link to opensecrets.org. It's a reliable source of political campaign contributor information.

An even better link would have been to the actual data showing the contributors to Kamala Harris's election campaign. You can get the top 100.

Here it is:

https://www.opensecrets.org/members-...ecs=100&type=I

George Soros is nowhere there.

He didn't contribute even $11,650 [[the amount she received from #100). In fact your link raises the question: did he contribute any at all?

"Mixed the numbers up"? No, as is so often the case you're dead wrong.

You're a fool, or you're trying to play us as one.

Are you the victim of propaganda, or the originator of it?
    Last edited by bust; March-24-19 at 02:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast