Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Began the season 9-62 against teams with a winning record.....

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Ironically, him hitting 40,000 yards in the fastest time ever goes hand in hand with the team not having success. Many of his yards came because of how often they were losing, so either they were passing in hopes of catching up or the other team was so far ahead that they'd let him get some yards during garbage time to avoid their own players getting hurt.

I'll buy that. Dan Marino who put up big numbers as well, was looked at in the same light, but at least he reached a conference final, I believe. Stafford hasn't won a playoff game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I'll buy that. Dan Marino who put up big numbers as well, was looked at in the same light, but at least he reached a conference final, I believe. Stafford hasn't won a playoff game.
    yep, but - just like this debacle against the Vikings - he hardly cost them the games. This defense is HORRIBLE.

You left off probably their greatest receiver, Calvin Johnson. It's ironic to me Stafford is setting all these passing marks, [[fastest ever to reach 40,000 passing yards) yet hasn't won 1 playoff game in 10 years. He puts up "empty stats" but it's not all on him obviously...
    The thing that bugs me most about Stafford is that he can't seem to put two good halves together, like the actually great qbs do. He either starts off like a house on fire, throwing the ball accurately downfield, leading long drives, and building up a lead, only to slip badly during the second half and stall out drive after drive while the other team wears the defense out. Or he plays indifferently or badly for 2 or 3 quarters, giving the other team a big lead, only to lead a 'stirring comeback' in the 4th quarter; a comeback that very often falls just short at the most crucial moments.

All of this, of course, builds up his stats and give the illusion that he is a potentially great quarterback. There have been many flashes of brilliance over the years, especially when he had better receivers like Calvin Johnson, but there has never been any real consistency at all. He is actually on the high side of mediocre. Good enough to keep his job, defeat bad or average teams, get big contracts, and build up gaudy-looking numbers, but not good enough or consistent enough to actually beat good teams.

In the meantime, the offense stagnates and the Lions can't get a consistent running attack because they keep drafting and signing these big pass protecting lugs on the OL with no speed. And so defenses find that they can sell out on the pass and eventually tee off on Stafford with blitzes and stunts, because the Lions pose no other real threat than Matt dropping back and gunning.

Very true. Stafford can sometimes throw on a dime, but other times he'll overthrow or underthrow a wide open target. He's a better than average QB but he's not elite.

Kerryon will be back end of the season, just in time for the Lions playoff run.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Good to know that he'll have no problem being able to walk to the fridge pain free to grab a beer. While watching the playoffs on TV.

Don't know what you guys think, but he's been a major disappointment to me. I get that he's was injured last year and now, but still.. Also, what was the reason for the Lions trading one of their better safeties in Diggs, after signing him to a new deal, and naming him a defensive captain. Just to sign a safety [[Marcus Gilchrist) who was cut by the Raiders? I guess Quinn is trying to mirror Belichick. Belichick is the master of shrewd, he just traded for Mohamed Sanu, and effectively, cut Josh Gordon after he suffered a knee injury.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-24-19 at 10:22 AM.

I don't know whether Kerryon is a disappointment or not. The Lions' poor run blocking means he will always be taking extra hits just to get a few yards and pretty much ensures that he's either going to be playing hurt or be out with an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I don't know whether Kerryon is a disappointment or not. The Lions' poor run blocking means he will always be taking extra hits just to get a few yards and pretty much ensures that he's either going to be playing hurt or be out with an injury.
    That is what I have observed as well. The O line has regressed this year, and Kerryon has to dodge the first tackler behind the line of scrimmage. It definitely sucks he is injured, the Lions need to go out and get a replacement if they plan on staying competitive.

Good points, Didn't give a thought to the O-Line. I digress.

The thing that bugs me most about Stafford is that he can't seem to put two good halves together, like the actually great qbs do. He either starts off like a house on fire, throwing the ball accurately downfield, leading long drives, and building up a lead, only to slip badly during the second half and stall out drive after drive while the other team wears the defense out. Or he plays indifferently or badly for 2 or 3 quarters, giving the other team a big lead, only to lead a 'stirring comeback' in the 4th quarter; a comeback that very often falls just short at the most crucial moments.

All of this, of course, builds up his stats and give the illusion that he is a potentially great quarterback. There have been many flashes of brilliance over the years, especially when he had better receivers like Calvin Johnson, but there has never been any real consistency at all. He is actually on the high side of mediocre. Good enough to keep his job, defeat bad or average teams, get big contracts, and build up gaudy-looking numbers, but not good enough or consistent enough to actually beat good teams.

In the meantime, the offense stagnates and the Lions can't get a consistent running attack because they keep drafting and signing these big pass protecting lugs on the OL with no speed. And so defenses find that they can sell out on the pass and eventually tee off on Stafford with blitzes and stunts, because the Lions pose no other real threat than Matt dropping back and gunning.
    I think all of the above is totally on the money regarding Stafford.

Close call Lions 31-26 3-3-1

7 down 9 to go.

I think all of the above is totally on the money regarding Stafford.
    Darn it, Lowell, when ya gonna put a "like" button on DY?

It would send a very bad message if they did not try to make a move for a running back. While I don't believe they are a playoff team, and I don't want to bet the future on a failed attempt at a wild card, I would happily give up a 4th rounder for Penny or Mixon.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Close call Lions 31-26 3-3-1

7 down 9 to go.
    I should have put money on this game. You know once they're out of it and the pressure is off it's a guaranteed win.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    It would send a very bad message if they did not try to make a move for a running back. While I don't believe they are a playoff team, and I don't want to bet the future on a failed attempt at a wild card, I would happily give up a 4th rounder for Penny or Mixon.
    Mixon just needs a change of scenery, I bet he would thrive in the Lions offense. Even though our O line isn't stellar they are a major upgrade compared to Cincinnati.

At least they're still in the picture for a wild card spot and we're not talking about tanking for draft picks. I can't see the Vikings or Green Bay faltering enough for the Lions to catch them. Time for them win some games on the road, put up or shut up now. Oakland and Chicago aren't that great, Lions should be able to beat them, and the Lions have a way better QB then those teams - right?

No moves at the deadline, this team is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    No moves at the deadline, this team is a joke.
    Agreed. Since they fancy themselves as contenders, they should have pulled the trigger on a running back. I'm sure Melvin Gordon or Joe Mixon were available. Heard they wanted too much for Slay, so he'll be a disgruntled employee until the end of the season, when he can bounce. SOL....

Agreed. Since they fancy themselves as contenders, they should have pulled the trigger on a running back. I'm sure Melvin Gordon or Joe Mixon were available. Heard they wanted too much for Slay, so he'll be a disgruntled employee until the end of the season, when he can bounce. SOL....
    Incorrect. Slay is under contract through next year. They can still trade him this offseason should they so choose.

They also can franchise him and get another year that way .

I'm still trying to figure out how trading the best CB we've had in a generation makes us a better team.

We've beaten and lost to who we're supposed to so far this season, and even the worst skeptics [[that's me) would have to admit that every game has been very entertaining to watch. They've also proven they're not a playoff team. The NFL hasn't changed that much. If you can't run or stop the run, there isn't much good that's going to happen to you.

The trading of Diggs hurt team morale because he conquered himself. He was an over-achiever, and his teammates witnessed him work hard and improve his game. He earned his role and place on the team. He had a slow start this year, but so did all of his defensive teammates. Point being, I don't think one guy on that defense thinks any different than Slay about that trade...he just had the nerve and capital to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    He had a slow start this year, but so did all of his defensive teammates.
    Therein lies the problem. A slow start over seven games is something that can be overcome in other professional sports [[baseball, hockey, basketball), but the same slow start in the NFL means that basically half the season is in the books. Bottom line, teams or units on a team cannot afford such slow starts. Teams that win figure out a way not to have them.

Who knows? Maybe the trade of Diggs was a way to try to send a message to the other men on that defense telling them that a seven game 'slow start' is simply not acceptable, and that the players will be held accountable.

I remember when Bobby Ross would rant and rave [["I don't coach that stuff!") after games when the players failed to execute anything that they had learned during practice that week. All the screaming and hollering did nothing to get those players to step it up. There's only so many times a coach can repeat the same thing over and over before he has to try a different way to get his message through.

Bears, Packers, Vikings all lose. Stafford throws for 400 yards and the Lions lose. Lions could have made up some ground and made it more interesting. Pretty much over now for them to slip into a wild card spot.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast