Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

I've seen enough.

I'm not even going to bother watching the Thansgiving Day game, simply because I know the results!

The Lions have embarrassed this city for so many years in football. It seems that the owners don't seem to care anymore because all the "loyal to the end" fans just keep on coming. They keep on watching them, and the Fords keep on getting pay to do exactly what they are doing now.

We can't take the name off of Ford Field, since Martha Ford refuses to sell it. However, if we speak with our money, she will sell the team if she can't get any more money from a losing team.

60 years and counting..of mediocrity is too long and too much for our city to bear.

Let's stop feeding the weak Lions.

Keep the Lions. Sell the City. To Ontario, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Keep the Lions. Sell the City. To Ontario, hopefully.
    I'll do you better. Annex completely from the US. Hail King Duggan

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Mike McCarthy is out there. No guarantee he would take the job with this sad sack franchise, but I would sure try and get him before some other team does.

100% I would take McCarthy if he would take the job, how old is he now? Rodgers drove him out and honestly I don't know if it was the best decision, despite the Packers having a good season so far.

Same ole' Lions took the lead and then scalped by the Redskins 19-16

3-7-1 Bad ole putty tats!! Losing games since 1991. Patricia will be out soon. Eleven down five to go. No hunt no playoffs.

Those two Boston Bozos need to go back home, today.

Name:  Laurel-and-Hardy.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  38.5 KB

[QUOTE=DeLemur;582694]Yeah I wonder what he's been doing physically. Guy could play before though.
    /QUOTE]

Well, his last year wasn't all that glorious. Some QBs have success until someone learns how to defend them and the word gets around quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    We wore our white away uniforms at home for the first time in 49 years. Why ?....and who made that decision ?
    A lot of teams do when hosting the Cowboys. The cowboys like to wear white and it the home team wears white, the Cowboys have to wear blue [[which they do not like). Just part of the psychological warfare game.

Totally speechless

I miss Matt Millen.

Considering the present position of the Lions, Tigers, Red Wings, and.....what's the name of that NBA team again?........you folks just have to stop going to games. When the money flow stops, things will take a turn. I'm serious......why T.F. are you still attending games?????

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Considering the present position of the Lions, Tigers, Red Wings, and.....what's the name of that NBA team again?........you folks just have to stop going to games. When the money flow stops, things will take a turn. I'm serious......why T.F. are you still attending games?????
    Same reason you watch on tv, which by the way, they make far more money from than attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncledave54 View Post
    I miss Matt Millen.

Didn't even think that was possible.

Only one thing hasn't changed in 60 years... Ownership... Stop blaming the players and coaches.

49ers were 4 and 12 last year, now there one of the best teams in the league. The Lions turning it around like that? Forget it.

No need for Stafford to come back now. Keep him out and let him heal. Give the kid some chance to get his stuff together.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    A lot of teams do when hosting the Cowboys. The cowboys like to wear white and it the home team wears white, the Cowboys have to wear blue [[which they do not like). Just part of the psychological warfare game.
    I understand the Cowboys lack of love for their dark uniforms. I'm wondering who in the Lions' organization was stupid enough to buy into such garbage. You didn't see New England worried about which uniform the other team wore yesterday. They're proud of their own.

No need for Stafford to come back now. Keep him out and let him heal. Give the kid some chance to get his stuff together.
    I've got a better idea....why come back at all ? He's already played longer than Barry & Calvin. He can still zing a short pass, but he's already lost a tad on his long ball. He's signed two big contracts. His fate is to become Phillip Rivers...why bother ?

The London Lions has a nice ring to it. I've even got the logo ready...
    Name:  lion.png
Views: 710
Size:  120.8 KB

While I was looking for political info at Five Thirty Eight I ran across
    this analysis of various football defensive lines:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ats-not-there/

From this info it appears that Matt Patricia brought the Lions
    defensive strength corresponding with the Patriots though this hasn't been sufficient to achieve the playoffs so far.

I literally fell asleep watching yesterday's game.

After that lost, I at least confirmed that the fans faith in the Lions remains misplaced.

You think that people would wise up and teach the owners what happens when you are losing for too long.

Unfortunately, you can't cure ignorance. You can't stop people from going to these games. Until people want to win, the Detroit Lions are staying the way they are.

I'm done showing sympathy for them. The season is over. I'll find out about the remaining games through the paper, this way I won't have to see the continuous embarrassment that we get out of the Lions every year.

Fire Quinn today. 4 years is long enough to get a team on a playoff track in this league and the Lions are clearly not on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    I literally fell asleep watching yesterday's game.

After that lost, I at least confirmed that the fans faith in the Lions remains misplaced.

You think that people would wise up and teach the owners what happens when you are losing for too long.

Unfortunately, you can't cure ignorance. You can't stop people from going to these games. Until people want to win, the Detroit Lions are staying the way they are.

I'm done showing sympathy for them. The season is over. I'll find out about the remaining games through the paper, this way I won't have to see the continuous embarrassment that we get out of the Lions every year.
    Totally agree. Watch Thursday's game be a sellout. If people would stop going to see this crappy team, maybe they'd do something. Bottom line for them is putting fannies in the seats. The sorry ass Bears have won 2 straight, and they are licking their chops to see the Lions are next on the schedule. Both Quinn and Patricia should be shown the door, after the season, and Quinn had the nerve to say to Caldwell, 9-7 won't cut it. Caldwell was a much better coach, than this clown, injuries or not.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-25-19 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncledave54 View Post
    I miss Matt Millen.
    You're probably the only one, that misses 0-16 Millen.

I'm done with them until they fire Patricia. He's the most boneheaded coach they've had since Marty 'Take the Wind' Mornhinweg.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    I'm done with them until they fire Patricia. He's the most boneheaded coach they've had since Marty 'Take the Wind' Mornhinweg.
    Time to hire an experienced successful head coach. We're finding out hiring coaches with no previous experience whether in the Nfl or baseball, with guys like Ausmus and Kapler, is risky. There are exceptions, and every good coach got his 1st job somewhere, but teams like the Lions can't afford to take that chance any more.

They've tried that too. Bobby Ross. Steve Mariucci. Jim Caldwell. All had been very successful, at least two of them even made it to or won the Super Bowl as head coaches.

I think finding a successful head coach involves luck, and let's face it the Lions just don't ever have any of that come their way. There's always something missing or just the wrong person for the situation. Couple of examples:

Bobby Ross - I think he could have been successful except that he lost Barry Sanders right off the bat. Barry was used to receiving special privileges and Ross was having none of it.

Jim Schwartz - Out of all the coaches that they've had since the post-Fontes carousel began, Schwartz is the guy I think was actually a darn good coach. He could make the team play better than the sum of their parts. He could identify and plan around mismatches. He could adjust game plans at halftimes. Most Lions coaches are baffled by these things. But his 'puzzle' was incomplete. He lacked self-discipline and the team caught onto that and became undisciplined.

Jim Caldwell - Had the opposite problem. He was brought in specifically to be level-headed and even-keeled, which he was. To a fault. He needed to get upset every once in a while. Maybe even once. I mean, he built a reputation for standing there stoically, which was definitely a sign of discipline. But wouldn't that have made it even more impactful had he just once [[maybe when the PI call was picked up in the Cowboys game) thrown his clipboard down? He brought calm but unfortunately to the point of complacency.

Those are the three coaches that I think had actual opportunity to succeed but were just short of being able to do so. Marty was an idiot. Mariucci seemed to take the job as a favor to Millen [[and for the paycheck), but his disinterest was evident from the get-go. Patricia suffers from thinking he's as smart as Bellichek without having proven a single thing . Those three never had a chance. Marinelli? Who knows? The teams he coached were so absent in talent that I really have no idea if he was a good coach or not. He seems happy to be back under the radar kicking butt as a defensive coordinator, so good for him.

So honestly, they just need to move on and hope that at some point a coach gels. That they have the right connection with the players on the roster. That the right coaches pick up the phone and the wrong ones miss the call when he's assembling his staff. I know there's a lot more to it, but for once I just want them to find the right guy in the right place at the right time.

Just one in my lifetime. That's all.
    Last edited by sirrealone; November-25-19 at 03:20 PM.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast