Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Default 2019 Detroit Lions

Looks like they found one free agent who wasn’t a Patriot cast off.
    At least a position of desperate need that should keep them from taking a TE high in the draft. We hope.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2019/03/11/detroit-lions-reportedly-agree-deal-tight-end-jesse-james/3133712002/

After spending millions on ex pats, this team is doomed.

Quinn signed four players at positions of need. Each player brought in is more talented than the player he is replacing. The DE and TE were considered the best available in free agency at their positions, Flowers maybe the best in the whole class.

As far as the ex-Patriots, on the defensive side anyways, these are young guys that know the scheme and know Patricia. There won't be culture shock and there won't be time wasted getting them over the hump trying to figure out a new system. These guys can start contributing Day 1.

To my simple mind, that's the best you can ask for when it comes to free agency, so to the complainers out there, please, explain how these are bad signings?

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    After spending millions on ex pats, this team is doomed.
    Exactly, crystal-clear.

sirrealone makes great points.

The Patriots don't have a ton of cap space, and they build through the draft anyway. Their coach, QB and system allows them to just plug in seemingly random [[low salary) guys and maximize their potential. Paying free agents has never really been their MO.

Imagine if the Lions adopted this philosophy; fans and radio callers would be furious that the Lions "didn't do anything" in free agency. They filled their biggest needs, including TE, so they don't waste a first round pick on a TE again. Flowers is a lot of money, but he's fairly young and has proven he can play at a high level.

What happens on the field is what really matters, but I think the reactions to this have been overblown.

This team's offensive line was owned by two teams in their division. Until they address that problem, playing .500 ball will continue to be a struggle.

Recent poll of 15 NFL agents regarding the Lions:

Another factor [[re free agents), according to an anonymous agent, is the outside perception of Lions coach Matt Patricia.

"The fourth-worst destination, Detroit, has the added knock of a locker room that appears dysfunctional to players looking in from the outside," the agent said. “Especially with Matt ‘I think I’m Belichick but I haven’t done s---’ Patricia.”

I would call the free agent signings of Flowers and James ‘aggressive’.

It appears that Quinn/Patrica have pushed all the chips into the center of the table in a win more games next year with a no matter what attitude. That in itself is not a typical lions offseason. Usually they sell patience this time of year. Hopefully they are successful because another season of failure should result in both of them being terminated. One can only hope that ownership has delivered the “win or be fired” ultimatum to both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    I would call the free agent signings of Flowers and James ‘aggressive’.

It appears that Quinn/Patrica have pushed all the chips into the center of the table in a win more games next year with a no matter what attitude. That in itself is not a typical lions offseason. Usually they sell patience this time of year. Hopefully they are successful because another season of failure should result in both of them being terminated. One can only hope that ownership has delivered the “win or be fired” ultimatum to both of them.
    Totally agree, "it's _hit or get off the pot" for both of them this season

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Totally agree, "it's _hit or get off the pot" for both of them this season
    Those 2-jokers need to go sooner than later.....
    Attachment 37742

I don’t want to sound like a broken record but a successful season for the Lions in 2019 must include a playoff appearance and a win. Just making the playoffs isn’t good enough - one playoff win in 60 plus years is a remarkable record of futility.

Will not be buying tickets , haven't bought tickets last 40 years, and don't bother wasting my personal time watching the boob tube with them either.

Anyone mention the Lions suck - well they do - and everyone knows it.

The whole country pokes fun at the LIONS - because they suck so hard

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...3nc0bvqqsk.mp4
    Last edited by O3H; March-20-19 at 11:24 AM.

Name:  2qi2hf.jpg
Views: 3456
Size:  51.3 KB............

Lions pick ANOTHER TE in the first round. The season is already over before it begins. SOL.

Team will suck once again.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    They filled their biggest needs, including TE, so they don't waste a first round pick on a TE again.
    I got nothing. Looking forward to another season of eight sellout crowds watching this pathetic franchise go 7-9.

They should have taken DT Ed Oliver from Houston. He was still on the board, He went with the next pick to Buffalo. Or one of those 2 monster D lineman from Clemson, who went in the middle of the 1st round? I mean why take Hockenson, when you signed Jesse James? Unless they plan on running a two TE offense. I guess we'll find out.

Incompetency on a wasted pick at it's BEST!.....carry-on folks to another season BUST!

Get the bags out.

Attachment 38046

I like the pick.

First off, any concerns related to past picks such as Ebron, or 3 TEs in 10 years are silly. By that standard, we should have never drafted Calvin Johnson.

We carried 3 TEs last year whose skill sets were useless and predictable. A versatile TE that can block and catch needs to be accounted for on every play. Anything that makes a defense hesitate in the modern NFL is a good thing. If the goal is to emulate New England's offensive philosophy, a versatile and capable Tight End is a necessary tool. Look at our own defense...we're basically incapable of covering one. With one player we helped both the running and passing game.

This also exposes Quinn's ultimate philosophy of cheating the salary cap on the defensive side of the ball just like New England does. They also feature a lot of two TE sets when running the ball, which I bet we're going to try to do also.

Regardless of anyone's opinion of Stafford, any QB would struggle with last year's offensive line play and lack of tools in the passing game. This pick has the potential to address both areas of concern. He may not be Gronkowski, but he's a definite upgrade from the 3 staple foots with hands of stone we endured last year.

I would have MUCH preferred Dwayne Haskins, light a fire under Staffords ass. Hopefully put an end to the Matt Stafford era.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I would have MUCH preferred Dwayne Haskins, light a fire under Staffords ass. Hopefully put an end to the Matt Stafford era.
    Exactly -- many thanks!

I appreciate your insight and optimism, Bong-Man. Hockenson looks talented for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    They should have taken DT Ed Oliver from Houston... I mean why take Hockenson, when you signed Jesse James? Unless they plan on running a two TE offense. I guess we'll find out.
    1) Oliver is TINY for a DT, and I saw him get moved around a lot by OL guys.
    2) he has short arms that hamper his ability to tackle
    3) he jumps to early too often.
    4) Hoc is a genuinely elite prospect, the last one left on the board by 8 - and everyone behind the Lions would have taken him.
    5) I bet you would have been livid if the Lions had "allowed" Green Bay to get him

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    1) Oliver is TINY for a DT, and I saw him get moved around a lot by OL guys.
    2) he has short arms that hamper his ability to tackle
    3) he jumps to early too often.
    4) Hoc is a genuinely elite prospect, the last one left on the board by 8 - and everyone behind the Lions would have taken him.
    5) I bet you would have been livid if the Lions had "allowed" Green Bay to get him
    Your opinion, you're entitled to it. Oliver was high on a lot of teams board. I would have taken the best defensive player available. A TE's value isn't worthy of being a top 10 pick, If he turns out to be the second coming of Gronk, then I digress. Josh Allen would have been the pick, if he wasn't taken ahead of the Lions. Jacksonville got another demon that has to be dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    That being said I feel terrible about Stafford’s wife. I hope she has a speedy and complete recovery. She seems like a really nice lady.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast