Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Who using an Air Fryer? Loving it or NOT?

So folks, I am hearing the air fryer is the next best thing to the microwave, or sliced bread! Hah! You can now revise those otherwise drab left over french fries etc. are yuck when re-heated in a m-wave. Can really fry and cook certain foods you'd otherwise have to deep fry in oil [[which I hate for the mess).

The models I've seen have a big foot-print on the counter. Not feeling that per se. What do you think? What do you use your air fryer for the most - for best results? Winter's soon with more at home cooking... thoughts/ ideas?
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-22-20 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    So folks, I am hearing the air fryer is the next best thing to the microwave, or sliced bread! Hah! You can now revise those otherwise drab left over french fries etc. are yuck when re-heated in a m-wave. Can really fry and cook certain foods you'd otherwise have to deep fry in oil [[which I hate for the mess).

The models I've seen have a big foot-print on the counter. Not feeling that per se. What do you think? What do you use your air fryer for the most - for best results? Winter's soon with more at home cooking... thoughts/ ideas?
    I used to use a hair dryer, but with my age and all the fallout, I no longer need one. Besides, they give you split ends. Next thing you know my eyesight will be failing too...
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; November-22-20 at 12:31 PM.

I use a convection/toaster oven. Same principle and it sits on top of my microwave, small footprint.

I won one at a church raffle. Have used it a few times. Works fine but it takes up sooo much counter space considering it isn’t an everyday appliance.

If you’re interested you should visit your local Salvation Army store.

You’ll find them next to the bred machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I used to use a hair dryer...
    LOL! You've got jokes. Air frying - not hair. Though I do go for multi-purpose use for the things I purchase. So who knows ......
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-22-20 at 08:59 PM.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I don't care for more plug-ins. I use a small stove top little coffee perk to avoid all the cords and plugs.

How's about that [[the resale option). These items may still be a bit gimmicky so used may work! Bread makers were often cast-off after a few uses. I've tried to stay on using my juicer though a cumbersome process.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Works fine but it takes up sooo much counter space considering it isn’t an everyday appliance...
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-23-20 at 11:17 AM.

It is one of those things you have to revolve your life around,they end up in the closet next to the fire pits and treadmills,and those big popcorn machines with the wheels that seems like a good idea at the time.

I second the use of convection,cooks a lot faster and tender although Crisco would disagree.

Thats the problem of wanting a healthy diet,you have to really center your life around it and be really devoted to it.
    Last edited by Richard; November-23-20 at 02:38 PM.

lol I bought one last month and i am LOVING it. It makes prep, cooking and clean up so much easier and faster.

What do you use it the most for DS? I'd like to make fried onions with less oil.

I made egg rolls, a small chicken, buffalo cauliflower.

The egg rolls that worked best were Ruben egg rolls.

Egg roll wrappers
    Corn beef
    Swiss
    Well-drained sauerkraut. If you don’t drain it well the egg roll gets too soggy.

Essentially a knock-off of Detroit’s Asian Corn beef famous egg rolls.

^^^ Hit me in the PM the next time you make those rolls so I can do a drive-by pickup G! LOL!

I'm getting hungry [[as usual)!
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-24-20 at 08:30 AM.

Bump

^^^ Hit me in the PM the next time you make those rolls so I can do a drive-by pickup G! LOL!

I'm getting hungry [[as usual)!
    If we ever have another picnic I will bring a wheelbarrow full.

We have the basket type. It was a gift. Used it two maybe three times. Now it doesn't see the light of day. Calling it an Air Fryer is a misnomer. It is a 1500 watt element with a fan and timer. Small batch's work best spread apart.

Commercial ones are 3500 watt but $9000,better off finding a convection oven and be able to actually use it as a microwave and convection daily.

One thing to note with countertop appliances is a majority of them are manufactured under the same ownership that just puts a different brand name on them.

You may get a 1 year factory warranty but after that if it breaks,you throw them away and buy another because they offer no replacement parts by design and they build into them a limited use system,so they design them to fail after X amount of time,so you do throw them out and buy another.

Makes no difference if one pays $100 or $800.

I think if somebody was trying to cook “healthy” for one or two at a time a steamer is really the way to go.

here is one for $35,cheap enough to try out and see if that is the route to go,then upgrade if used a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/BELLA-Stackab...315235&sr=8-16

Or one can change the oil they fry with,Avocado oil actually raises the good level of cholesterol while lowering the level of the bad and has vitamin E in it.

There is a taste curve but there are healthy cooking oil alternatives.
    Last edited by Richard; November-25-20 at 09:59 AM.

I bought a small one, 1.5 qt basket, at Target a few years ago for $30. I use it to cook/reheat things that would normally be fried. I haven't gotten wild enough to use it for cooking chicken, steaks, etc, but it serves its purpose for me.

^ Yeah, if I get one it'd be the smaller one. Still not sure if they'll stand the test of time or go into the lower cabinet or garage like those bread-makers. Hah!

What do you use it the most for DS? I'd like to make fried onions with less oil.

SInce i primarily eat fish I tend to just air fry fish with it, but ive also made spaghetti and some other things. The one I have is multi functional, not only does it air fry, but i can pressure cook, slow cook, bake, Sautee and a whole host of other things.

AIR FRYER. maybe my experience was random, but my 1st eats from an air fryer was a friend of mine made me some Chicken Wings in his, ...I know the commercials say it makes the skin crispy but it was like chewing on pebble rocks

I did not like the way it cooked the skin. So I have steered clear of them ever since

My son has the Ninja 5-in-1. He's cooks everything in it... from meat to fish and vegetables and always looks like it came off the grill. I suppose it's good for young guy living on his own. Quick and easy meals. I just don't need another "small" appliance sitting on my counter. It's loud too.
    Last edited by Maof; January-24-21 at 10:45 AM.

Have the Cuisinart; thing is HUGE. First attempt was frozen tater tots. Turned out great. But, tried frozen Welsh Rabbit in the toaster oven part and it cooked it so fast that it melted the container. I found later that you have to bake 40° lower than the box calls for