Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Farmers Restaurant/Eastern Market

Here's an article in Eater Detroit regarding the closing of the restaurant. I understand the owner wants to retire. But, within the last year, Sanford Nelson and his billionaire father, have bought up properties within the market and have raised rent 150% on some of the loft properties. Some will say change is good but on the other hand, will the current tenants be able to stay with such an increase? I'd hate to see these real estate companies come in and change the atmosphere of the market and the current tenants high tail it out of there because they can't afford it.

https://detroit.eater.com/2019/3/6/1...-market-closed

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Here's an article in Eater Detroit regarding the closing of the restaurant. I understand the owner wants to retire. But, within the last year, Sanford Nelson and his billionaire father, have bought up properties within the market and have raised rent 150% on some of the loft properties. Some will say change is good but on the other hand, will the current tenants be able to stay with such an increase? I'd hate to see these real estate companies come in and change the atmosphere of the market and the current tenants high tail it out of there because they can't afford it.

https://detroit.eater.com/2019/3/6/1...-market-closed

I [[still) remember as a small child, going with my parents to Eastern, [[and Western) markets, because it allowed them to stretch a buck and make ends meet. Today's privatized Eastern Mark-Up is turning into a boutique fruit and vegetable emporium, catering to the 6 figure millenial crowd. Honestly, you can get the same quality staples and produce elsewhere around town for less. A lot of what's sold there is purchased in bulk, then put in cute little wooden baskets.

It's unclear if this place was priced out by evil gentrifiers or the owners simply retired. Both could be true, honestly.

Yep, I don't need a boutique red onion or parsley bunch. I do better at the E. Dearborn and Hamtramck markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    .... Today's privatized Eastern Mark-Up is turning into a boutique fruit and vegetable emporium, catering to the 6 figure millennial crowd. Honestly, you can get the same quality staples and produce elsewhere around town for less. A lot of what's sold there is purchased in bulk, then put in cute little wooden baskets.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-08-19 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Yep, I don't need a boutique red onion or parsley bunch. I do better at the E. Dearborn and Hamtramck markets.

Al Haramain...

How much "produce" aka product from industry comes from

DETROIT PRODUCE TERMINAL
    7201 West Fort Street
    Detroit, Michigan 48209
    Phone:313-841-8700 Fax:313-841-8702
    Arthur McHardy, Market Manager

and how it is then transferred into ORGANIC and HAND FARMED baskets
    at a 200% markup to make people feed fuzzy and warm inside their soul ?

http://www.terminalmarkets.com/ Buyer Beware
    Last edited by O3H; March-08-19 at 01:57 PM.

]A lot of what's sold there is purchased in bulk, then put in cute little wooden baskets.
    This has been the "dirty secret" about EM for years now. There are very few actual farmers who sell there any more. You can literally watch vendors restocking from the same boxes you see in grocery stores. Unfortunate, but a sign of the times I suppose. There aren't as many farmers in the world as there used to be, but there's just something about buying direct at a Farmers' Market that can't be beat.

Sad about the Farmers Restaurant though. It was a remaining part of the old "real" Eastern Market and a nice unpretentious place for a good inexpensive hearty breakfast. I went there quite often and will really miss their hash plate and the presence of the no-nonsense but kindly waitstaff.

Heck, I still miss Gus' restaurant in Western Market. Now, that's going back about sixty years.

Be careful of these rich developers buying up these buildings in the Eastern Market. They might try to change the dynamics of Eastern Market and next thing you know the whole market will be relocated somewhere in another part of Michigan

Detroiter's Discuss and Act Towards Better Food Access....

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/...yakini/580819/

Malik Yakini Wants To Improve Food Access In Motor City

https://explorepartsunknown.com/detr...in-motor-city/

Yep, I need to go there this weekend!

Al Haramain...

Yep, I need to go there this weekend!

Yep, me too, I'm out of some necessary staples. I understand they opened a full size market on Conant. Haven't been there, maybe I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Heck, I still miss Gus' restaurant in Western Market. Now, that's going back about sixty years.
    Now that's old school.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    It's unclear if this place was priced out by evil gentrifiers or the owners simply retired. Both could be true, honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Be careful of these rich developers buying up these buildings in the Eastern Market. They might try to change the dynamics of Eastern Market and next thing you know the whole market will be relocated somewhere in another part of Michigan
    Shouldn't we be promoting, encouraging, welcoming and celebrating investment regardless of where it comes from? Gentrification is not a bad word. Gettofication certainly is and we've had enough of that.

I went to eastern market in the early 70's as a kid with my parents.
    I have fond memories of those early morning excursions.

What I despise is being taken for a fool, a sucker and a mark.
    Don't attempt to re-label, re-package and re-distribute product ,
    while attempting to disguise it as something else other than greed.
    There are solid, reputable , vendors among the shysters. Buyer beware.

Quote Originally Posted by djtomt View Post
    This has been the "dirty secret" about EM for years now. There are very few actual farmers who sell there any more. You can literally watch vendors restocking from the same boxes you see in grocery stores. Unfortunate, but a sign of the times I suppose. There aren't as many farmers in the world as there used to be, but there's just something about buying direct at a Farmers' Market that can't be beat.
    I have to challenge your assertion that there are "very few" actual farmers who sell there anymore. There are still a plethora of actual farmers and local producers at Eastern Market. In my 22 years of shopping in Eastern Market, I wouldn't say that there are fewer local producers and actual farmers today than there were 15 or 20 years ago.

As for the vendors who sell produce grown outside of Michigan, I don't see why that is a problem or an issue. Eastern Market is not just a farmer's market, it is also a place for wholesale food suppliers.

For as long as I can remember, vendors in Eastern Market have sold lemons, limes, oranges, and other types of produce that are clearly not grown in Michigan. This isn't something new, nor is it a "dirty secret."

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Shouldn't we be promoting, encouraging, welcoming and celebrating investment regardless of where it comes from? Gentrification is not a bad word. Gettofication certainly is and we've had enough of that.
    There's nothing wrong with investment, let's encourage it. Here's the fear:

If, as seems to be the case, someone is buying up many buildings in EM, that will lead to increased rents, with raised prices and much different stores.

At one time, EM was the only functioning area in a sea of dysfunction. It has kept that spirit as things started getting better. But higher rents and boutique-ization could lose that spirit, and turn it into just another high-end shopping district. Worse, if it's done poorly, the boutiques fail, all those stores around the farmers' market shut down, and EM no longer functions.

So, if the investment is done well, great. If it's poorly done, that would be sad. We've seen a lot of the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    The "gentrifiers" have brought an awareness to many downtown areas but as archfan said, many will and have been priced out of the area. Here's an example. My daughters high school teacher lived in a loft in the market well before it became hip. She left last year because of the spike in rent.

Here's a more detailed article about the process. Take a gander of Nelson in a fedora and cuban cigar. Just might tell ya where it's heading.

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...dlords_move_in
    Last edited by Maof; March-10-19 at 08:09 AM.

Excellent article. Yep, it's all getting ultra pricey and folks who were there during the long haul forced out.

I don't have an interest in EM at this point. Maybe Flower Day, otherwise it's all too hyped.

Excellent article. Yep, it's all getting ultra pricey and folks who were there during the long haul forced out.

I don't have an interest in EM at this point. Maybe Flower Day, otherwise it's all too hyped.
    I think flower day is overpriced.
    Last edited by Maof; March-10-19 at 10:36 AM.

It is. I'm just weak for so many options in one place......!

It is. I'm just weak for so many options in one place......!
    If it's not too much of a hike for you, I like the farmers market in Mt. Clemens. It's small but prices are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    The "gentrifiers" have brought an awareness to many downtown areas but as archfan said, many will and have been priced out of the area. Here's an example. My daughters high school teacher lived in a loft in the market well before it became hip. She left last year because of the spike in rent.

Here's a more detailed article about the process. Take a gander of Nelson in a fedora and cuban cigar. Just might tell ya where it's heading.

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...dlords_move_in
    I understand the sensitivity of the subject and the disruption it is causing current tenants, but i would like to approach this problem without emotion.

First and foremost, I don't care how Nelson looks or how he's dressed, especially on the day the pic was taken.

What we have here is a situation of pure market economics.

Nelson has assembled a group of investors, targeted an area, dropped a considerable amount of private money in hopes of capitalizing on the opportunity. The purchase was made equitably and voluntarily. In return, this group expects;

1. protection/appreciation of their investment through maintenance
    2. a return on their investment through rental income

Both "mandates" will require them to raise rents accordingly and presumably, without stifling the market [[what they're asking for is close to market rate). So far, this is no different to what anyone else would do given the opportunity.

The question now remains, what to do with the current tenants? Personally, I would have given the tenants a little more notice similar to what Broder and Sachse did with The Albert before they renovated the dilapidating Griswold into market rate units....and very successfully I should add. Not knowing Nelsons financial situation, I can't assume he and his group had this luxury. Apart from that, it's back to securing my interests and those of my investors that have entrusted me.

Unless you're feeding off Section 8 housing, then it is not the responsibility of private investors to subsidize the living standards of those with lower incomes. It would also be irresponsible of investors to keep up-and-coming areas under-maintained or even derelict [[Ilitch's Midtown) since it directly affects those purposefully revitalizing and investing in neighboring areas. In this case, Brush Park and Lafayette.

If EM cannot bear higher rents, then the investors will soon feel the pain and it will likely revert back to the prior situation organically. If it can, then I would only assume the entire area will benefit exponentially in terms of services, shopping options and housing.

For those being "pushed out", it becomes a matter of travel distance and not homelessness. Detroit, unlike just about any other city I've ever experienced, has the benefit of very cheap RE within miles of relatively unaffordable RE. This applies to the artist as well. Opportunity begets opportunity.

I should also add that Detroit, through property taxes, is a huge winner in this deal. Additionally, with millage being what it is, it's hard to imagine rents would not have gone up significantly regardless of any improvements or maintenance on Nelsons behalf. The sale alone cast that die.
    Last edited by SammyS; March-10-19 at 02:57 PM.

Please elaborate
    "benefit of very cheap RE within miles of relatively unaffordable RE."

You mean real estate, did you type all that to just to abbreviate ?

The cost of veggies goes up because someone can't park a truck,
    pull up and throw some stuff in a paper bag for cash ?

Last edited by O3H; March-10-19 at 06:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast