Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default H&M to open 25,000-square-foot downtown Detroit store this fall

"Trendy clothing retailer H&M will open its first Detroit location on Woodward Avenue this fall. Bedrock, the real estate arm of businessman Dan Gilbert's family of companies, announced Wednesday morning that H&M will open a 25,000-square-foot space on the west side of Woodard between John R and Park Avenue south of Grand Circus Park.

Bedrock said the H&M store will feature men's, women's and children's apparel in one location, and be the first downtown location to offer a full range of apparel in decades..."

https://www.freep.com/story/money/20...on/3078305002/

My sources tell me that the store will span three Albert Kahn-designed storefronts at 1505 – 1529 Woodward.

Last edited by Scottathew; March-06-19 at 11:15 AM.

If you go down to the storefronts you'll notice they've started to break down the walls to connect them and it already looks like a typical H&M floor plan.

At least it's an affordable brand this time with options for all[[ish) [[as H&M usually skews towards the 35 and younger crowd but good for young families!).

curious. I'm not offended but they really need all that space for "one" outlet? three ground-level floors?
    hopefully they'll have job announcements soon.

Bedrock rendering shows three buildings, but there's a gap. TopShop does this in a lot of other cities, splitting men's and women's. Name:  79c49a51-2a53-441e-a1b9-61e047420f85-1505_1515_1529_Woodward_HM_Streetview_v4.jpg
Views: 1563
Size:  55.3 KB

I suppose when they're finished we'll see what it looks like inside.
    on the upper floors, what are they? office space? apartments/lofts?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I suppose when they're finished we'll see what it looks like inside.
    on the upper floors, what are they? office space? apartments/lofts?
    The corner building [[Richmond Bros. clothing store) is already HQ to International Bancard and the Grinnell Bros. Building is/will be the Detroit LinkedIn office.

Calling H & M trendy is a stretch. In fact the store at Yonge & Bloor in Toronto is closing. The article in the Globe & Mail said called them a "fast fashion" store forced to give way to trendier stores on the strip. Mind you, this is Toronto's most expensive retail area. H & M did just announce 160 store closings this year so let's hope it's not a repeat of the Yoga Pants chain [[forgot the name, owned by LuLulemon) that went under right after opening.
    Last edited by 401don; March-06-19 at 02:04 PM.

That is a lot a space. H&M should be a department store that a clothier.
    Last edited by Danny; March-06-19 at 02:06 PM.

Dan Gilbert congrats of turning Gilberttown Detroit around.
    I was hoping for an Apple Store the H&M will do.
    Last edited by Danny; March-06-19 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    That is a lot a space. H&M should be a department store that a clothier.
    Huh?

If anything, that's somewhat small. The H&M in Atlanta is goimg to be nearly 40,000 sq. ft

Curious, will the store take up multiple levels as well? This is common in many other cities were large stores have 2, 3 or even 4 levels [[sometimes going into basement levels as well).

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Bedrock rendering shows three buildings, but there's a gap. TopShop does this in a lot of other cities, splitting men's and women's. Name:  79c49a51-2a53-441e-a1b9-61e047420f85-1505_1515_1529_Woodward_HM_Streetview_v4.jpg
Views: 1563
Size:  55.3 KB
    The gap is the office lobby for the connected Grinnell Bros Building and Fisher Arcade/Sanders Building. The upper floors of the two buildings are connected and have been for decades. LinkedIn will have their local office on one of the floors. It’s possible the store wraps around the back of the lobby. I don’t think they’re two separate stores.

The fact that H&M chose DT Detroit over the many suburban malls, including Somerset, speaks volumes. Good for them to take a risk and everyone else that helped facilitate it.

To be fair, almost every area mall except Somerset has an H&M.

Yeah, that was a weird comment.

H&M has simply focused its expansion efforts on urban cores as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Curious, will the store take up multiple levels as well? This is common in many other cities were large stores have 2, 3 or even 4 levels [[sometimes going into basement levels as well).
    Used to be common there too. Nearly every big store I can remember had multiple floors there, downtown, outer 'ring' shopping areas and malls.

Things are not as they were in the past, get over it, move forward.
    It's going to be, what it's going to be. Something Else.

My mistake. I only knew of Great Lakes Crossing.

Meddle... yes multifloor retail isn't what it used to be... Fyfe brothers actually had 14 floors of shoes, unusual as it seems today. Also I once worked at Baker's Shoe store, once located a block down from where H&M will be. It had 8 floors and although by 1980 only the ground level was still shoes... it was stange to go to the upper floors which were closed off, since they were virtually identical to the main floor in retail detail.

John Varvatos takes up 2 floors, although the 2nd floor is more of a mezzanine to the main floor. Some downtown retailers such as S.S. Kresge's had a basement as well as main level retail floor. The nice thing about the reuse of these old buildings is that smaller multi-level retailers add a bit of charm to these old places, a charm rarely found out in the burbs.
    Last edited by Gistok; March-06-19 at 08:09 PM.

Under Armour occupies the basement, ground floor and second floor of the former Kresge’s and our Nike store also occupies the basement of their location. There really aren’t many stores that would need 8 floors of space in any city anymore, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    My mistake. I only knew of Great Lakes Crossing.
    Always thought it was odd that they aren't in Somerset, but do have a store in [[shudder) Oakland Mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Meddle... yes multifloor retail isn't what it used to be... Fyfe brothers actually had 14 floors of shoes, unusual as it seems today. Also I once worked at Baker's Shoe store, once located a block down from where H&M will be. It had 8 floors and although by 1980 only the ground level was still shoes... it was stange to go to the upper floors which were closed off, since they were virtually identical to the main floor in retail detail.

John Varvatos takes up 2 floors, although the 2nd floor is more of a mezzanine to the main floor. Some downtown retailers such as S.S. Kresge's had a basement as well as main level retail floor. The nice thing about the reuse of these old buildings is that smaller multi-level retailers add a bit of charm to these old places, a charm rarely found out in the burbs.
    Fourteen floors of shoes? When were they in business? I would have gone broke in there.
    Last edited by Maof; March-06-19 at 09:34 PM.

The Free Press is pretty clear - in the opening paragraph, in fact - that this will include "men's, women's and children's apparel in one location." That's why it's 25,000 square feet across multiple storefronts.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Fourteen floors of shoes? When were they in business? I would have gone broke in there.
    Actually only 10 floors were ever used for shoes. Interesting article on Historic Detroit...

http://historicdetroit.org/building/fyfe-apartments/

It is one of the more attractive buildings in Detroit... and the view up Woodward from city center [[without buildings blocking it due to Grand Circus Park) is greatly enhanced by its presence. That will block part of the yet to be built 20 story TCF/Chemical Bank HQ. Not yet sure what that building will look on the GCP side.
    Last edited by Gistok; March-07-19 at 03:31 AM.

The smart thing for Dan Gilbert to do is to offer 2 hours free parking in the Z lot for anyone who shopped at one of the stores or dine downtown and have their receipt of purchase or dining. The bus services need to improve to bring more shoppers from the suburbsor parts of the city into the downtown areato shop, dine, or go to a game or event. I would love to see a City Kroger downtown that would be bileveled. I had heard that a bank will be opening next door to Under Armour temporarily until the Hudson site is cmpleted

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast