Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit: State of the City 2019

Tonight Mayor Duggan gave a very spirited presentation at East English Village Prep. What were your thoughts? Pros and Cons?

The thing that struck me more than anything else was the almost complete lack of references to downtown/midtown matters. Those areas were referenced as far as programs, but discussion of development and investment was focused almost exclusively on the neighborhoods. As a resident, this was very refreshing. I remember the mid-2000's when half of a State of the City address was spent talking about the Compuware Building.

I thought his speech was very upbeat and inclusive. He's definitely trying. It's hard to find fault with anything he said, but I imagine some will manage to. Very good speech!

The speech by the Mayor was very good I thought. Essentially what he was saying, is “no excuses”! He laid a “path” for all these folks to make their lives better, i.e. numerous skilled/vocational training in the hopper; Breighthapt, Randolph Vocational Center and the big announcement by the Carpenters Trade yesterday for the $30m training center.

He talked about the Detroit Promise again; which from what I recall still lots of young Detroiters aren’t taking advantage of. He again dispelled the myth that nothing is going on in the neighborhoods with numerous examples of improvements taking place. The best part of the presentation/speech was when he touted examples of African American Real Estate folks doing numerous of other projects as well......that was great to provide the evidence!

He talked about the un-employment numbers continuing to go down again and talked about the Grow Young Talent....i forget the correct name, but the program to get Detroit’s youth involved in summer jobs with some of our best employers in the summer....good stuff indeed!

Plus he referenced the issue with folks with the restricted licenses or had them taken away for whatever infractions they had; $120m in fees wiped away.....Duggan should get more credit for this as he pushed the legislature to agree. This helped out numerous residents of the city.

I know the theme was “No barriers” but I think he was actually saying “no excuses” and was directing it squarely in the eyes of his detractors, i.e. the “loonies” that call into 910 am, the complainers/whiners like Bankole Thompson who has an “agenda” against Duggan ever since the Mayor didn’t show up for his “Poverty” Town Hall Meeting during the last election.

As my father told me growing up if you follow these 3 things you will have a fairly good life ahead:

1. Graduate from high school.
    2. Do not have any children before you’re 25 and/or do not get married before you’re 25.
    3. After College.....get a full-time job or a skill...

If most people did the above......and stop having babies they cannot take care of get a high school degree, skilled training if they don’t go to college; they will stay out of poverty. Essentials, just take invidious and personal responsibility you will be fine! More opportunities open up!

As an aside... the school Duggan gave his speech from [[East English Prepatory Academy) was the site of former Jared W. Finney High School and Cannon Recreation Center... Cadieux and E. Warren Ave. The older buildings were both demolished in 2011.

I think the part-time jobs for high school kids is key. The sooner you can prove to young people that there really is opportunity for them the better. It has a huge effect on their mindset believing that hard work actually will have a payoff. Even getting grade 7 & 8 kids playing sports and volunteering for community cleanups, etc. will have a similar effect.

YAY Duggan. I like how He used the visual aids for his address. Can Coleman A Young or King Kwame do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    YAY Duggan. I like how He used the visual aids for his address. Can Coleman A Young or King Kwame do that?

Probably neither one. One's passed away and the other's in prison.