Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Prediction: Chrysler will cease to exist as a brand within 5 years

Right now, Chrysler is down to two vehicles. The very long-in-the-tooth 300 has remained fundamentally unchanged other than minor tweaks for 15 years without even a rumor of a new version, and hasn't sold 70,000 units since 2012 - hovering in the low 50s. Then there is the Pacifica - a consistent seller, and fairly new.

Together, Chrysler sold under 200,000 vehicles last year. I have heard of nothing in the development pipeline to indicate any new product. There is minimal advertising, and I don't think new management is as enamored of the Chrysler brand as Sergio was.

Create a Pacifica brand...not just a nameplate of a vehicle.

I think it's a fair prediction - they can roll the models into other brands somehow or phaseout. One thing I think you are ignoring is the partnership with Waymo [[Google's self-driving company), which uses Pacifica vans. They announced an expansion in Michigan w/ up to 400 jobs, so I think the demand for the familiar vehicle platform may be there for some time:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/22/1...-manufacturing

Chrysler brand includes Dodge Charger, Challenger, Durango, Journey, Carivan,Ram, Jeep Wrangler, Grand Charokee, Charokee, Compass, Renegade, Gladiator, just to name a few. I don’t think they are going anywhere.

I would be surprised if Chrysler is around 10 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Chrysler brand includes Dodge Charger, Challenger, Durango, Journey, Carivan,Ram, Jeep Wrangler, Grand Charokee, Charokee, Compass, Renegade, Gladiator, just to name a few. I don’t think they are going anywhere.
    That is the Chrysler Corporation, not the brand.

I don't think that's an unreasonable prediction. Maybe not five years, but within the next decade or so.

I'm still hoping for a law against suvs and the return of the Imperial.

^^^ Back in the 80's I once had a slant-six engine, black top-blue Dodge Dart [[1975)! It was fun!

I'd be surprised if FCA as a whole makes it out of the 2020s, while Ford and GM will both be shells of their former selves.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-03-19 at 05:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Back in the 80's I once had a slant-six engine, black top-blue Dodge Dart [[1975)! It was fun!
    1970 duster slant 6 factory lime green, in high school.

1973 Dodge Coronet wagon, with 400 V-8, refitted with new differential, 4 speed stick, and 4 barrel carb. Pulled out back seats, put more weight over rear wheels, and, damn...

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see Chrysler nameplate slip out of use over the next few years, and, sadly, to see the whole Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge line fade away.

Dodge is being propped up by municipal/fleet sales of the Charger ... for now. And the RAM trucks.

That fleet line has waffled from Chevy to Ford, Plymouth [[Fury), Dodge [[Monaco), Chevy [[Impala), Dodge [[Diplomat), Ford [[Crown Vic) and now to the Charger, so who knows how long it will last. Ford lost the sedan sales but still gets some of the SUV style sales shared a bit with Chevy and GMC.

There will be a demand for cars and trucks 10-20 years from now but there's no guarantee any of the Big Three will be around to meet that demand. Foreign auto makers could run the Big Three out of business any time they want but they don’t because the optics would be bad. As the political clout of the Big Three and the UAW decreases, that could change.

If they made a Charger, 2 door, retro styling, hidden headlights [[Bullitt) they would have a huge hit on their hands.

I'd prefer a different kind of vehicle.

The Pacer and small wagons like the Vega and Pinto could be interesting in updated slightly larger versions that didn't explode or rust in months. The AMC Eagle tried too.

I still drive a 95 Taurus wagon and I just haven't found much comparable. The newer Taurus wagons were too small for my use but work well for others.

I'm not really sure why the newer Dodge Magnum wagon type car didn't do better.

I just don't care for the mom-mobile SUVs that are everywhere. They're fancy Bronco IIs or Jimmies to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I'd be surprised if FCA as a whole makes it out of the 2020s, while Ford and GM will both be shells of their former selves.
    I have few worries about Ford & GM. Both are focused on viability, and they are doing well there. They are still the undisputed leaders in the most profitable US segments. Ford is making huge investments in the mobility game, as is GM. Hopefully they learned their lessons.

There are only two companies that are focused on "world domination" - VW and Toyota. Both are heavily vested in development of hydrogen fuel cells. Whether that pans out for the long haul will be a major determinant in who survives.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I have few worries about Ford & GM. Both are focused on viability, and they are doing well there. They are still the undisputed leaders in the most profitable US segments. Ford is making huge investments in the mobility game, as is GM. Hopefully they learned their lessons.
    GM is making cuts so aggressive that it will leave itself vulnerable to either a hostile takeover [[possibly by a Chinese automaker or a Silicon Valley tech company) or a painful split ala HP. It's great and all for those fat bonuses and profits in the short term, but not for the long term health of the company [[nor the city of Detroit when that day comes). They'll be caught with their pants down when the markets inevitably shift again with very little scale or capital to compete. Of course leadership [[who shall remain nameless) doesn't give a fuck, because they'll be retired by that point when the SHTF.

No major company in the history of the US has ever cut its way to success. But if you think GM will be the exception, then you're more optimistic than I am.

Ford, they're jusy plain directionless. The guy Bill Ford picked to run the company now is clearly out of his element, as highlighted in the report done by the Free Press about him.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...fs/2859058002/
    Last edited by 313WX; March-03-19 at 11:29 AM.

The suits and the shareholders are focused on one thing, money for them. If that means cutting employees or product lines or closing facilities to boost performance bonuses, so be it.

Too many worker drones never get that realization and continue to play along.

That Chrysler slant six was one of the best engines they ever made. It was damn near indestructible. The car would be rusted out to the floor boards, but that slant six would keep on running. I had a 68 Dart that had one, it ran forever...

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    1973 Dodge Coronet wagon, with 400 V-8, refitted with new differential, 4 speed stick, and 4 barrel carb. Pulled out back seats, put more weight over rear wheels, and, damn...

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see Chrysler nameplate slip out of use over the next few years, and, sadly, to see the whole Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge line fade away.
    Plymouth has been gone since the 1999/2000 model year.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; March-03-19 at 02:20 PM.

My Dodge Dart got crushed in an accident [[some dolt hit me from the rear). I sold it for parts [[engine)... here's a bit of info on that Chrysler [[Mopar) powerhouse:

https://macsmotorcitygarage.com/lean...slant-6-story/

Zacha and 401don, I had a dependable stick, slant 6, olive green late 60's Dart. It was one of the two best econoboxes I ever owned. It was dependable with lots of space. But Chrysler outdid itself with its 1955 Imperial; say "road car".

I had a Valiant too but that was a heap. I pulled a wheel off once without removing the nuts. The steering wheel pulled off once too. A brake failure had me dodging barrels in a construction zone. It's 225 slant six never gave me any problems though. Thanks for the article Zacha.