Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What's going on in North End?

I've been seeing a ton of rehabs around North End over the last year.

Today I stumbled across new construction. Quite a bit of it actually.
    Name:  IMG_20190228_140538.jpg
Views: 1767
Size:  105.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20190228_140754.jpg
Views: 1703
Size:  100.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20190228_140823.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  145.9 KB

There's about 6 new homes going up on Mt. Vernon east of Woodward.

I can't find anything online about it.

The apartment building on the corner also looks like it's being rehabbed.

I also have past them. Very interesting. They would qualify as infill housing.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2019/2/18...sale-north-end
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; February-28-19 at 09:23 PM.

A lot is going on in the North End. This was my families old neighborhood - in fact, Mt. Vernon is one of the streets - and we're tickled every time we go back by to visit. A lot of stuff from New Center is spilling across and up Woodward in this area, and quite a few young people are moving in. A lot of hipster seem to use John R as a fairly major bike route through the area I've noticed.

The neighborhood is taking off really quickly, it's not surprising since it's a very beautiful place. I'm looking into real estate there myself.

Highland Park will be next in about five years.

Besides what's already been mentioned, the formerly abandoned Quaker Apartments at 30 E. Philadelphia is also under renovation right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    Highland Park will be next in about five years.
    I do hope so. Will depend on governance, I think. In Detroit Duggan seems to have cleaned up the bureaucracy enough. HP? Less sure. But of course beaten down areas are opportunities.

These homes are for sale on Zillow currently, one can be seen HERE. I noticed driving up Woodward the other day there are at least 2 apartment buildings in that area with new windows being put in.

It would be fantastic if North End, Virginia Park, and Boston Edison could become the de-facto place to live for young people ready to move out of their downtown apartment and purchase a house... Extending the Q Line would greatly increase interest in these areas.

Since New Center and Midtown is developed and gentified, North end is next on the list. New housing and rehab of the old family flats that hood folks dumped and left will be gentified into super condos where white peopl--I mean millennials will buy.

I've noticed that. Going to be a grand apartment option when complete!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...96157825_zpid/

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    Besides what's already been mentioned, the formerly abandoned Quaker Apartments at 30 E. Philadelphia is also under renovation right now.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    These homes are for sale on Zillow currently, one can be seen HERE. I noticed driving up Woodward the other day there are at least 2 apartment buildings in that area with new windows being put in.

It would be fantastic if North End, Virginia Park, and Boston Edison could become the de-facto place to live for young people ready to move out of their downtown apartment and purchase a house... Extending the Q Line would greatly increase interest in these areas.
    I agree 100%, and would include LaSalle Gardens in that group. Something needs to be done with Highland Park

Speaking of the North End, last month Shinola posted this picture on Instagram of an excavator on the empty lot next to the 'We Kahn Do It' building in Milwaukee Junction. Anyone know what is happening here, and if it's Shinola related?

Name:  IMG_7683.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  100.9 KB
    Last edited by Zozo; March-04-19 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    I recall seeing that this building had been sold some time ago, and am glad to see that its being rehabbed. So many of these fine Detroit apartment buildings have been lost. I wonder what the parking options might be at this location.

Quite a bit of activity in a compact area of the North End!