Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    The marquee is down. It looks like they might replace it with something or restore it, but it's gone for the moment.
    Hopefully it’s being restored. It was in much rougher condition than the rest of the building.

So the marquee is in fact being saved. One side is up and I assume the other side will be up shortly. I don't think it's exactly the same as before, but looks good nonetheless.
    Name:  buddy.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  78.4 KB

You won't find a single original marquee on any current or former theatre in downtown. The buildings they hang from are all between 90-100 years old. Many are on their 3rd or 4th marquee.

Will be interesting to see if MADISON is returned to the former theatre entrance marquee. Maybe rather than changeable old marquee lettering, they are going to have a digital imagine marquee like the Fox now has.

Come on Buddy Buddy, bring that pizza to Gilbert Town Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    You won't find a single original marquee on any current or former theatre in downtown. The buildings they hang from are all between 90-100 years old. Many are on their 3rd or 4th marquee.

Will be interesting to see if MADISON is returned to the former theatre entrance marquee. Maybe rather than changeable old marquee lettering, they are going to have a digital imagine marquee like the Fox now has.
    Confirmed that the entire marquee is restored, with Madison along the top. I can get a picture later

This morning as I walked down Woodward, a trailer with a MADISON sign on board was headed towards Grand Circus Park. I would assume that means it is going on the marquee. Ill try to capture a photo tomorrow if it has been assembled.

Name:  IMG-20190627-WA0000.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  133.8 KB

Sorry for the poor quality. I just snapped this while walking by earlier.

Name:  993A1C3A-8CF4-4A10-BAEC-101D43D2FF49.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  99.6 KB
    another view

Quote Originally Posted by Van Dyke Brown View Post
    Name:  993A1C3A-8CF4-4A10-BAEC-101D43D2FF49.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  99.6 KB
    another view
    Dang that looks really good. If only the Filmore didnt get replaced with such an ugly one.

Name:  JPEG image.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  72.9 KB

Madison Marquee

Thanks for the pic, it looks very nice ! The only, and I mean only thing I didn’t like about Angelina’s is how they covered up the sign with what looked like some paper type sign with their name on it, I always thought it looked cheap and temporary for a restaurant that was very good. I really do miss that place.

I wonder if Buddy’s is behind this or if it’s Bedrock. I’m surprised to see the Madison name restored if it was just Buddy’s, I’m thinking Bedrock ponied up the money for this

No I'm sure it was Bedrock... which still owns the Madison Building and is just leasing the restaurant space to Buddy's.

The Madison Building itself doubled in size when the theatre portion was razed in the early 2000s. Prior to that the back half of the current building was part of the theatre space, and the office block was quite shallow and small. I was in the building prior to the theatre demolition, and was surprised how little office space there was. On the outside they did a good job of seamlessly melding the old front half of the building with the newer back half.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    The marquee is down. It looks like they might replace it with something or restore it, but it's gone for the moment.

With the People Mover EL train in in front of the Madison Building, why do that building need a marquis?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2