Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Buddy's on Broadway--Legendary Detroit Pizza Chain opening Downtown Location

Buddy's Pizza will open a restaurant in the former Angelina's Italian Bistro location in the the Madison Theater Building.
    "Buddy's Pizza is headed downtown.
    The popular Detroit-style pizza chain is expected to open in late summer or fall in the Madison building near Grand Circus Park."

Great news for my favorite pizza, but I'll still go to the original on McNichol and Conant.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 11.12.48 PM.jpg
Views: 2172
Size:  43.2 KB

https://www.freep.com/story/life/foo...it/2993211002/

My favorite as well. Great news for sure!

This is walking distance from my work as well as my gym. What an interesting test of will this is going to be.

They are going to clean up on Tigers/Lions gamedays. Looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    They are going to clean up on Tigers/Lions gamedays. Looking forward to this.
    They should do fine even on non-game days but they would be smart to have a take-out counter or side window where you can grab a slice, especially during the rush times.

Good spot for Buddy's Pizza. Be well aware that when the entertainment booms, that's when the people come.

The Madison marquee looks great! Appears that someone has knocked the rust off and re-painted it [[are there lights on it also?) And the inclusion of the Buddy's signage is quite appealing. Nice repurposing of a derelict relic from a bygone entertainment age.

I really hope they light the marquee back up! Doing so would really make the entry stand out on the currently less appealing east side of GCP.

I went by there today and that sign was not up. It might just be photoshop. Either way, I agree it would be cool to clean up the marquee and put it to good use.

You can tell its photoshopped by all the leaves on the trees haha

I think Buddy's will do well here, and Pizza Papalis will lose business.

I do not understand the Buddy's hype. When I have tried it, the crust has had all the flavor of Wonder Bread, the sauce tastes like overly-sweet ketchup, and the pepperoni had no bite at all - and practically no taste.

DetroitSoldier - At ease! And thanks for your reconnaissance mission to lower GCP. Upon further observation of the photo above I must admit that I jumped the shark with regards to the appearance of the Madison marquee. That's apparently the same old rusty metal that will likely soon be cited by the City for safety violations. It is my fondest wish that the M@dison management sets out to restore this historical signage. That Buddy's image would look great on the actual marquee, even if the People Mover does its best to detract from the entire streetscape.

Even though Buddy's is shooting for the summer the city may do what it does best buy throwing red tape in the developement of retail and restaurants 'sprolonging the opening date until probably 3 to 5 months or up to a year past the target opening date. Buddy's show learn a lesson from Planet Fitness; never announce that you are planning to open a shop in the most key part of the city at a certain time. You will find that plans will be changed and sometimes someone would go behind the scenes to make sure that you dont open at all

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Even though Buddy's is shooting for the summer the city may do what it does best buy throwing red tape in the developement of retail and restaurants 'sprolonging the opening date until probably 3 to 5 months or up to a year past the target opening date. Buddy's show learn a lesson from Planet Fitness; never announce that you are planning to open a shop in the most key part of the city at a certain time. You will find that plans will be changed and sometimes someone would go behind the scenes to make sure that you dont open at all
    With that being a Gilbert owned property... I'm sure that one word from Gilbert to mayor Duggan... will make sure that the stonewalling perp won't be around much longer.

I couldn’t imagine one restaurant taking the place of another would call for a massive re-wiring, plumbing, etc.

I'm all for having Buddy's downtown. It's unfortunate, though, to have lost Angelina's Italian Bistro. They're not like-kind restaurants; but, perhaps Buddy's is a better fit with the proximity of this location to the stadiums.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I couldn’t imagine one restaurant taking the place of another would call for a massive re-wiring, plumbing, etc.
    It is not uncommon for a full gutting, even if the old stuff is not very old. It's not like this is a small company taking over on a limited budget. Buddy's is now backed by a major investment firm. Demolition and rebuild with a 100% open space to build out from is almost guaranteed.

Its wasteful. But that's business.

Buddy's, Cloverleaf, and Loui's are all very similar. If you ever have a problem let them know. They always welcome feedback

Quote Originally Posted by lester wild View Post
    Buddy's, Cloverleaf, and Loui's are all very similar. If you ever have a problem let them know. They always welcome feedback
    I have had an old Green L*****n opened close to me.

My much loved pizza from 50 years ago was just a plain pizza. And a major disappointment.

Is it me, or does every pizza taste good to a kid? No matter what. I have a favorite located by me, but legendary pizza seems to be a myth.

And Detroit pizza is top of the list nationally.

And Little Caesars can be garbage wrapped in bacon, I'm there !!!
    Unless they promise to develop downtown Detroit. Wrapped in bacon.

Edit: baby pig videos.
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-27-19 at 12:42 PM.

Oh- and a chimp that is better on a smartphone than me.

https://twitter.com/jiveDurkey/statu...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

And this - love your animals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uypIj_BYzAw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYyWyHrGn_k

Sorry, I know this is a pizza thread, but you get you're turf where you can.
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-28-19 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Oh- and a chimp that is better on a smartphone than me.

https://twitter.com/jiveDurkey/statu...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
    this is great!

I agree, really miss Angelina.. I felt they had it right in so many ways, even loved the view from inside.. replaced by a buddys. . [[ I do enjoy them too but a different calibre. ). Oh well..

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    I agree, really miss Angelina.. I felt they had it right in so many ways, even loved the view from inside.. replaced by a buddys. . [[ I do enjoy them too but a different calibre. ). Oh well..
    Agree. Angelina was excellent. It's hard to sustain the level that restaurant maintained for as long as it did. Kudos to the owners. Never had a bad meal there.

The marquee is down. It looks like they might replace it with something or restore it, but it's gone for the moment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast