Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shinola watches 'saving Detroit,' says Oscar winner...

Nice for the positive reference to the D. But, examining the full import of that statement ala 'Saving'? I find that to be a bit lofty.

Where's the tangible investment and narrative relative to the continuing inequality, poverty and suffering outside of the downtown/ midtown. Thoughts, ideas, comments??

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...my/2976505002/

Social media blasts Shinola's Oscar shout-out

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ut/2978056002/
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-25-19 at 01:49 PM.

Sounds like someone who means well, but has no idea what they're talking about [[I.E knows nothing about Detroit and has never spent time in Detroit)

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Sounds like someone who means well, but has no idea what they're talking about [[I.E knows nothing about Detroit and has never spent time in Detroit)
    Exactly. This story has already reached hysterical proportions of outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Exactly. This story has already reached hysterical proportions of outrage.
    Yeah, this story just isn't worth a lot of discussion. I see why people comment and are triggered by it, but don't give it legs. There are much bigger topics of concern.

Hollywood elite is usually tone-deaf and delusional, can't say I'm surprised.

Better if he had of said “contributing to Detroit’s recovery” by hey, any national attention should be welcomed. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Better if he had of said “contributing to Detroit’s recovery” by hey, any national attention should be welcomed. Why not?
    Fair point. Winceable moment for sure. Having thick skin when the intention was good is the right move on this.

The guy had a limited amount of time on stage to thank others. If in the process he took 3 seconds to mention Detroit and Shinola, then I'm fine with it. Detroit does need some saving... this wasn't intended as a slap at Detroit... Some people need to make a meal out of a morsel somewhere else. I applaud him for taking some valuable time out to acknowledge the city. I even applaud the Texan who started Shinola in Detroit.

Now with the Shinola Hotel coming online... the watch craze [[regardless of where the 'innards' are made) as well as as "labeling" Shinola to Detroit is a plus, and although the guy didn't have the stage time to say more, he spoke well. And yes... a significant chunk of Detroit's 139 sq. mi. do indeed need saving.
    Last edited by Gistok; February-25-19 at 10:18 PM.

I agree with that. Less lofty.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post

In reality, it's Detroit that's saving Shinola. Shinola has [[brilliantly) used Detroit as a marketing tool, when Detroit has little to do with the brand.

Shinola is really a Dallas brand. It's founders are from Texas. It's an offshoot of the Fossil watch chain [[which is in every mall).

But people really believe that when you buy one of their watches, you're helping "save" Detroit, rather than contributing to a big, mass-market Dallas watch company.
    Last edited by Bham1982; February-26-19 at 07:40 AM.

^^^ A 'feel good' moment in every purchase! OK.

Well at least they are employing some Detroiter's.

That's tangible.

Wearing a Shinola is almost a secret code for people "in the know" that Detroit is "cool" again.

He made an off the cuff remark, probably because they either used Shinola products in the movie or he knows the guy who owns it, as a bump for the product. The result is probably people going "what the hell is Shinola and why is it in Detroit?" and looking it up on the web. Good for Shinola; good for the city.

I do prefer to shop Detroit businesses as I can. And feel 'good' about it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Wearing a Shinola is almost a secret code for people "in the know" that Detroit is "cool" again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    ...Detroit has little to do with the brand.
    Another one of your exaggerations and outright lies. Shinola’s headquarters, two flagship retail locations, most of its workers [[including executives), first hotel, and its entire marketing strategy [[which you just admitted) are all in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    Another one of your exaggerations and outright lies. Shinola’s headquarters, two flagship retail locations, most of its workers [[including executives), first hotel, and its entire marketing strategy [[which you just admitted) are all in Detroit.
    Pretty much all wrong, yet again. Kinda amazing how you're always so incredibly misinformed.

-Shinola is an arm of Fossil, based in Plano, TX.

-Shinola has retail locations all over the planet. They have more locations in Manhattan than in Detroit.

-None of its executives are based in Detroit. Not one.

-Shinola doesn't have a "hotel". Bedrock has the hotel, and Shinola is the licensee. Hotel nameplates are usually unrelated to ownership. When you stay at a [[say) Hilton, Hilton rarely owns the structure; they are usually licensee and/or provide services.

More on Shinola... gaffs and politics:

An Artist Takes Issue with a Brand’s Appropriation of Black Detroit

https://hyperallergic.com/412343/an-...black-detroit/

https://www.metrotimes.com/the-scene...marketing-game

Course they could always leave, leaving us to ourselves.... *sarc* !

Pretty much all wrong, yet again. Kinda amazing how you're always so incredibly misinformed.

-Shinola has retail locations all over the planet. They have more locations in Manhattan than in Detroit.

-Shinola doesn't have a "hotel". Bedrock has the hotel, and Shinola is the licensee. Hotel nameplates are usually unrelated to ownership. When you stay at a [[say) Hilton, Hilton rarely owns the structure; they are usually licensee and/or provide services.
    Again, there’s no way you’re an adult from Birmingham-Bloomfield and this ill-informed and dishonest.

I know two of the executives, one of whom is well known to Lions fans. They absolutely live in the suburbs and work in Detroit.

The hotel is a joint venture between Bedrock and Shinola.

Shinola is an arm of Bedrock Brands, not Fossil. Fossil is a brand that the founder also started.

By the way, check their website. The two Detroit locations are listed as the flagships.

You are an unrepentant liar.

Eh, um perhaps this is good point for a wiki time-out [[smile)...? Not that their info's all that accurate, but still:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinola_[[retail_company)

The defunct shoe polish company:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinola
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-26-19 at 11:33 AM.

Shinola is NOT an arm of Fossil. Fossil is a publicly traded company on its own. Shinola is owned by a private, Texas-based capital investment firm.

They only have their founder in common. Well, relationship-ly speaking, obviously they're in the same market.

Don’t really see the appeal of those watches. They’re nice, they’re okay, I’m sure they keep correct time, but I don’t think they’re anything to write home about.

I'm a knock-off watch wearer, with the exception of one designer. Love watches, perhaps too much to invest too much into any one.

So in other words, TowneCluber and Dtowncitylover,

He doesn't know s*** from Shinola!!! Ha!

^^^ Now you all DO nice! ----
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-26-19 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    Again, there’s no way you’re an adult from Birmingham-Bloomfield and this ill-informed and dishonest.

I know two of the executives, one of whom is well known to Lions fans. They absolutely live in the suburbs and work in Detroit.

The hotel is a joint venture between Bedrock and Shinola.

Shinola is an arm of Bedrock Brands, not Fossil. Fossil is a brand that the founder also started.

By the way, check their website. The two Detroit locations are listed as the flagships.

You are an unrepentant liar.
    This may be true, but he wasn't completely wrong. Shinola exists because it built a brand out of Detroit. Shinola is not "saving" Detroit, whatever the hell that means. It is feeding off of a gritty-cool image that Detroit already had.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast