Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Atlas Theatre

Default Atlas Theatre

Does anyone remember attending movies at the Atlas Theatre on Plymouth Road in Detroit during the 1950s and 1960s? Were there other nearby businesses that you visited on Plymouth Road during those days?

During the summer and fall, I went to the Atlas Theatre pretty much every Saturday. A group of us would walk together for a day of movies and cartoons. I would take a quarter, a ticket was 15 cents and popcorn was a dime. We would sometimes stop at the DQ/Tastee Freeze or the Johnsons Milk Depot. I also remember a store on the corner near the Theatre that sold penny candy, but didn’t go in there often. I started going in 1958, when I turned 8 years old, continued going for several years.

The Atlas Theater was closed in the mid 1970s and became a church called Temple of Deliverance and it closed somewhat in the early 1990s. Parts of the building were town down to build a dollar store and a black owned laundromat. Later both of those store closed down. The dollar store is now a collision shop and the laundromat is a prescription drug store.

Quote Originally Posted by 9936Sussex View Post
    During the summer and fall, I went to the Atlas Theatre pretty much every Saturday. A group of us would walk together for a day of movies and cartoons. I would take a quarter, a ticket was 15 cents and popcorn was a dime. We would sometimes stop at the DQ/Tastee Freeze or the Johnsons Milk Depot. I also remember a store on the corner near the Theatre that sold penny candy, but didn’t go in there often. I started going in 1958, when I turned 8 years old, continued going for several years.
    Though I'm off a few years, I enjoyed the simpler times of going to a movie theatre. I stopped going to theatres 20 years ago with the advent of cell phones.

So, with the price of tickets and popcorn you stated, it's gone up 10,000 %, since then?

Reddit mathematicians correct me.
    \_[[ツ)_/¯

Last edited by Bigb23; February-18-19 at 02:57 PM.

I still love going to the movies! My husband and I are semi-retired and we have a standing date every Tuesday to go to the movies. We go early [[between 9-10 am) and then lunch. I love to watch film at home, but there is nothing better than seeing a movie in a theatre. An added benefit of going in the morning, is that you have very few other people in the theatre with you!

"The Atlas Theatre in Detroit was owned and run by the Oleszkowicz family from 1938 or 1939 until 1968. In 1968, the last two members of the family retired from the theatre. Between 1968 and 1978, the Atlas Theatre was run by Las Vegas Entertainment, Inc. , which showed adult fare there."Name:  atlas.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  35.3 KB