Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Working in Detroit, Living In Windsor - Tips?

So I'm planning on moving to Windsor this summer [[will be working in downtown Detroit).

I'm a Canadian citizen, thats the main reason why.

Anyways, some questions I had

1. What do you suggest about cellphone, should I get U.S service with roaming, or vice versa?

2. Should I buy my car in the U.S or Canada, with regards to registration what would be better, especially since I will be crossing the tunnel daily? I presume I should buy car in Canada, since that will be my main residence?

Anything else I should look into?

I'm applying for Nexus card now...

You can buy a car wherever you wish, but it has to be registered at your primary residence address. In your circumstance, you might look at leasing and let them handle all of that.

Phone on the US side may be a better deal and you may still get service across the river, but again, there may be legal requirements.

Yes, on ATT you can turn off roaming to avoid the Rogers, CA fee when at the river front I've noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    You can buy a car wherever you wish, but it has to be registered at your primary residence address. In your circumstance, you might look at leasing and let them handle all of that.

Phone on the US side may be a better deal and you may still get service across the river, but again, there may be legal requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by blitz2014 View Post
    1. What do you suggest about cellphone, should I get U.S service with roaming, or vice versa?
    Look at T-Mobile, who had a pretty good roaming package for US phones in Canada. It wasn't intended for heavy Canadian use, but may be the only economical solution.

Canada has no good US roaming options that my family is aware of.

You may need two phones. Some, but not all, US phones can call Canadian phones [[519) without long-distance charges. And in reverse, many Canadian phones cannot call the states without abusive per-minute charges. You can buy plans for $10-20 / month to let you call where you need to, but how people can call YOU is a bigger problem.

You may need two phones. One for each side of the border. And maybe look into a North American 800# service. [[They aren't as expensive as you think these days.)

Businesses can often call across border without charges, but consumers less so. So think more about how your friends and family will need to reach you.

Cross-data border is a bigger problem, since you may trigger lots of charges by mistake.
    2. Should I buy my car in the U.S or Canada, with regards to registration what would be better, especially since I will be crossing the tunnel daily? I presume I should buy car in Canada, since that will be my main residence?
    Yes, the registration should follow your primary residence. There are subtle differences in safety equipment. But the real issue here is that you not be seen as potentially 'importing' your car to the other country. A Canadian resident driving a US plated car into Canada is seen as bringing foreign goods across the border. The reverse is also probably true, but I've only known people who were brought to tears by CBSA agents threatening to impound their vehicle.

Unless you establish American residence, I think you should stick with a Canadian car -- even though Canadian cars are about 20% more expensive dollar adjusted. Car import/export is not trivial.

Someone suggested leasing. Interesting idea. Ask CBSA.
    Anything else I should look into?
    Yes, an awful lot.

Right to work in USA of course.

Banking. Canadian banks are pretty good about dealing with USD. But you'll have to use a Canadian credit card and might watch out for a high exchange rate. You'll likely be able to use US ATMs from Canadian banks, but not cheaply. [[Could be 3% plus a $5+ fee). There are good cross-border packages to check.

Oh, and how about health care? If you are legally residing in Ontario you'll be covered pretty well by OHIP, but there may be a waiting period when you won't have coverage if you're moving from another province. USA health coverage of course is a mess -- and expensive as well. Walk into an emergency room and get a bill for $5,000.

Maybe obvious, but the USA has different rules on prescription and recreational drugs. Codeine. Marijuana. [[Canada prohibits border crossing with MJ, the US of course as well.)

Windsor's a fine town. I know several Windsor residents who commute daily. Its a hassle. But they do it daily. Load up on podcasts. Relax.
    I'm applying for Nexus card now...

Welcome to Detroit-Windsor and this forum.

If you are living in downtown Windsor or nearby the tunnel bus is always an option. It hits spots in downtown Windsor and Detroit, ending up at the Rosa Parks bus terminal on the Detroit side and the Windsor bus terminal on the Canadian side. The price is very reasonable--a lot less than tunnel fee for cars.
    https://www.citywindsor.ca/residents...20Pamphlet.pdf
    Name:  tunnel-bus.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  45.0 KB

Side grumble: It is annoying that we get penalized by the big telcos for being on a border. Everybody I know has, sooner or later, had to deal with getting dinged by them or being annoyed with their reminder messages of the exorbitant prices we will be charge should we forget to turn off data roaming. We need a treaty that forces them to honor a twenty-mile no-charge neutral zone for phone usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Look at T-Mobile, who had a pretty good roaming package for US phones in Canada. It wasn't intended for heavy Canadian use, but may be the only economical solution.
    T-Mobile will probably shut down the account after a few months if they suspect that the O-P does not have permanent residency in the U.S.

We have Verizon and no extra roaming charges thru Canada. We drove out east thru Canada several times this past summer/fall. As soon as we hit the boarder, automated text comes thru that we're covered on all roaming. That's with the "new verizon plan" and of course, the "unlimited plan"
    Last edited by Maof; February-17-19 at 02:57 PM.

Wow. Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful.

Some follow up comments and questions.

1. So looks like buying car in Canada is the way to go

2. Thanks for the heads up with T-Mobile and Verizon. I currently live in the US, so I already have Verizon...will ask them if I can do international roaming. Don't want to get shutdown with T-Mobile.

3. I'll be residing in Canada, so I should be ok with healthcare.

4. Any suggestions on banks, since I will be paid into my US bank account, but will need to have Canadian funds as well. I presume there are limits on how much I can transfer over? Also, any Canadian banks that have low transfer/wire fees?

5. Also, someone told me I have to pay double income tax [[US and Canada). Is this correct?

Thanks again!

It's been a decades since I worked as a tax consultant but I'm guessing things are generally the same in that there are reciprocity agreements such tax paid in one country is credited by the other, but you will likely have to file in both.

Since 11-6-16 this is the worst border crossing in the world. I had a impaired driving 33 years ago, I can't get into Windsor, smoked pot in 1972? , you can't get into the United States.
    This Detroit/Windsor thread is all we have as a region.

I'm looking at you Canucks. : [[ Legal Pot and Hookers, toplessness in public, yet so close, yet so far away.

We are so under the thumbs of the Puritans/Fundamentalists here in the US that we are 50 years behind Europe.
    Last edited by Bigb23; February-17-19 at 09:42 PM.

Wow. Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful.

Some follow up comments and questions.

1. So looks like buying car in Canada is the way to go

2. Thanks for the heads up with T-Mobile and Verizon. I currently live in the US, so I already have Verizon...will ask them if I can do international roaming. Don't want to get shutdown with T-Mobile.

3. I'll be residing in Canada, so I should be ok with healthcare.

4. Any suggestions on banks, since I will be paid into my US bank account, but will need to have Canadian funds as well. I presume there are limits on how much I can transfer over? Also, any Canadian banks that have low transfer/wire fees?

5. Also, someone told me I have to pay double income tax [[US and Canada). Is this correct?

Thanks again!
    If it's not provided by your employer you absolutely need a supplemental healthcare plan while in the U.S. OHIP will cover about half your expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yes, on ATT you can turn off roaming to avoid the Rogers, CA fee when at the river front I've noted.

Name:  Mr. Rogers.JPG
Views: 1477
Size:  53.0 KB

Can you say "roaming fees"?

Don't casually eat your breakfast/lunch at the border crossings.
    Got busted snacking on grapes, as I rolled up to the booth one trip.
    Please park ""over there" sir, we'll be with you in a minute -- UGGGGHHHH !!

Beware of International Wire Transfer fees - they may be quite steep.
    Make inquiries and double check the facts.
    Maybe PayPal is the way to go to move in/out with ease
    Last edited by O3H; February-19-19 at 08:27 PM.

Awe, shucks darn-the-repression and Mrs. Grun-dy of it all ----! Against the righteous moral standard of Europe. Hah!

If you have children or ever worked with teens you'd know we have our share of decadence and dissipation, increasingly.

“The more people chant about their freedom and how free they are, the more loudly I hear their chains rattling.” ~George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    We are so under the thumbs of the Puritans/Fundamentalists here in the US that we are 50 years behind Europe.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-20-19 at 08:54 AM.

Keep yo' car tidy too! I got pulled over Canadian side [[using the bridge) and my car searched top to bottom as I had alot of stuff on the back seats visible and in my trunk. It went well but still a hassle to be delayed an hour. Not a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Don't casually eat your breakfast/lunch at the border crossings.
    Got busted snacking on grapes, as I rolled up to the booth one trip.
    Please park ""over there" sir, we'll be with you in a minute -- UGGGGHHHH !!

Beware of International Wire Transfer fees - they may be quite steep.
    Make inquiries and double check the facts.
    Maybe PayPal is the way to go to move in/out with ease
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-20-19 at 08:55 AM.