Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 90 year old lady mugged

Today's Freep had a story about a 90 year old lady who got car jacked yesterday on her way to church. Some punk knocked her over and took off with her SUV.
    Another new low.

Retroit Guest

Lord, hear our prayer.

I'm not saying that she shouldn't have one, but why is a 90 year old lady driving an SUV???

lilpup Guest

Why not? The article said it has handicapped plates so maybe the height was easier for her to deal with. I know my dad has a b*tch of a time getting in and out of his low seated Grand Marquis.

Can someone provide a link to this story? I checked on freep.com and google and came up with nothing.

UFO Guest

Reminds me of the time those punks roughed up Rosa Parks.

It a damn shame when we allow our sick and elderly to fall prey to criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomfield Pills View Post
    Can someone provide a link to this story? I checked on freep.com and google and came up with nothing.
    DETROIT: Woman, 90, is assaulted, her SUV stolen

A 90-year-old Detroit woman was hurt Sunday when a man pushed her to the ground and stole her SUV when she was on her way to church, Detroit police said.

The woman was in temporary serious condition at a local hospital after the incident in front of her house on Cascade at about 9:30 a.m., Police Department spokesman John Roach said. He said she had minor injuries.

Roach said police were looking for the suspect and the woman's red 2007 Jeep Cherokee with a handicap license plate. He did not have the license plate number.

He said the suspect is described as 13 to 19 years old, 5-foot-6, clean shaven with a fade haircut.

Another punk who should be held up for ridicule who is instead looking fresh in his fade and stolen Cherokee. If this happened where and when I grew up, the perp would likely get his ass beaten, and would certainly be turned over to the police. Does any reader doubt that at least one or two, possibly dozens of others, know the details of this crime? Why have they not come forward?
    Last edited by Bobl; August-31-09 at 07:22 PM.

Maybe it was some kind of higher beings plan for her to be mugged <sarcasm what is the point of going to church if youre imaginary buddy isnt going to protect you? If there is an intervening God why did she get mugged. Maybe her congregation should just 'pray' <more sarcasm -for the assailant.

Sludgedaddy Guest

"Little Old Lady Got Mutilated Last Night....Werewolves of Trumbull Again"...with apologies to Warren Zavon.

I met an elderly gent a few days back while strolling through the garbage strewn and ailianthus foliated alleys north of Hamtramck. He walked with two mutant meat hounds on a leash and showed me his side arm ,as he warned me of the possible dangers I might face walking in such a place.

It's good to know that this Polish Terminator has the means to close the generation gap and generate more revenue for those that sell those Chinese made teddy bears for make-shift memorials.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    Maybe it was some kind of higher beings plan for her to be mugged <sarcasm what is the point of going to church if youre imaginary buddy isnt going to protect you? If there is an intervening God why did she get mugged. Maybe her congregation should just 'pray' <more sarcasm -for the assailant.
    can't have one without the other -- Theodicy

Amazing how flip some people are when defenseless old folks and kids get rubbed out in this town. Big joke. Try having it happen to you.
    I think there is more outrage here when an old building is threatened with demolition.

At least we can be thankful her injuries were only "minor."

I think it's understandable that an older person would have an SUV, especially if they have had hip and/or knee problems and/or replacements. It can be very difficult for them to get into or out of lower-riding sedans; the higher seat height in the SUV's is easier for them. Same principle as booster toilet seats for the elderly and disabled.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Amazing how flip some people are when defenseless old folks and kids get rubbed out in this town. Big joke. Try having it happen to you.
    I think there is more outrage here when an old building is threatened with demolition.
    And as has been shown in cases where old buildings are threatened with demolition, ranting and blind outrage accomplish nothing. Somebody [[who?) needs to get off their collective asses and DO something.

Bring back STRESS

lilpup Guest

If Angel's Night patrols are so effective, why can't something similar be extended to other days/weeks/months? How many streets have community watch signs that are meaningless because there's no watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Switchmanjim View Post
    Bring back STRESS
    They never got rid of STRESS. Well, it's true the city disbanded the actual unit -- but all they did was integrate the officers into the Big Four, where they continued going around the city kicking residents' asses.

It cracks me up that Coleman Young gets so many kudos for disbanding STRESS, when it was purely a political move that accomplished absolutely nothing, other than for Young to make it seem to residents he was on their side.

Poor dear...I hope they catch the little bastard quick before he does this again. As to the SUV...I have had problems with my knees for some years and in April had knee replacement surgery on both knees at once. I can tell you that higher vehicles are much easier to get in and out if you have knee or hip problems. There were times I could not get in or out of my husbands Fusion without help [[ I am 57 ). My new bionic knees are great but low veichles are still difficult to navaigate. I will likely always drive an SUV of some kind.

The "minor" injuries are physical. Major psychological injuries may also have resulted from this senseless act. As for the lady driving an SUV, why not? If she goes out when there is considerable snow on the streets, she's much more likely to remain unstuck and in control of the Jeep Cherokee than a small car without 4x4. I have back and knee problems, and getting in and out of our Dodge Caliber, which I love, can sometimes be tough. I'd rather climb UP into our 4x4 pickup truck. I hope they catch the jerk that did this to her, but I know that is probably not going to happen.

The sad thing is that it happened right in front of her own house. Imagine how she will feel from now on when she wants to leave the house.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbred View Post
    ... and in April had knee replacement surgery on both knees at once.
    Is there any advantage to having both knees replaced at once? I would think recovery would be easier if they were done one at a time.

Jimaz, The choice was mine...my dr. does both knees more and more often he says. Some dr.'s don't. It did not make my recovery any longer necessarily, but the first several weeks were very challenging to say the least. I could not stand or get in and out of bed without help moving my legs, and was in the hospital for 2 weeks. Having one done leaves you with "one good leg" theoretically, but both mine were pretty bad. I have a friend who did hers one year apart. Just about the time she was feeling fully recovered, she had to go through it again. And her "good " leg became worse while recovering from the first surgery, so she was in increased pain anyway. And I have another friend who refuses to have the second one done after going through the first surgery.So I guess to make a long story only slightly shorter, the advantage was only having one surgery and recovery period. I would do it again in a heartbeat, and feel so much better than before surgery. I would tell anyone to consider doing both at once if they need both done.

Blarf Guest

An ironic example of why organized religion is a scam.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    An ironic example of why organized religion is a scam.
    ?? That makes no sense at all.

Blarf may have been responding to terryh's post.

Thanks, detroitbred. I'll probably need it someday going by heredity but I'm fine for now. Thanks for the insight.

What you WON'T read in the papers is that the vehicle was recovered in SW, and the suspect was arrested yesterdayin the area the crimes occurred.

This guy was also responsible for robbing and assaulting another man a few blocks away. That guy, who was in his 90's, was robbed over a dozen times in his own home, and was placed in the hospital after the last assault.

You won't find it in the papers though, as it won't sell papers like broadcasting the crime does.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast