Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Retail Armageddon Continues. Payless closing ALL stores.

When it comes to clothing I'm basically a thrift store and online shopper now, so I guess I'm part of the reason for their decline, but I do remember going to Payless when I was kid. Just about every August before school started my mom would drive my sisters and I to Meijer, Kmart and Sears for clothes, and sometimes Payless for shoes. Growing up in working class family in the 80's I'd typically only get one pair per year, and by the end of summer they would be trashed!

https://www.freep.com/story/money/20...es/2887379002/

^ you should be lucky that you were not 3rd in line with hand-me-downs.

Because it is cool to pay $60 for the same pair of made in China kids sneakers at sketchers then pay $20 at Payless.

I pay $29 for cheap work boots at Kmart or Payless and they last 6 months at best,I payed $65 at another store thinking they would last longer and did not even get 3 months out of them.

I think the downfall of Payless is that it was just not cool to go there,people will pay more to be cool.
    Last edited by Richard; February-16-19 at 08:15 AM.

When I was working and needed 'dress shoes', I'd get them from Payless for $20 or so and wear them until they were no longer presentable.

These days I try to walk at least 2-3 miles most days, weather permitting. That's in addition to any other walking I do in stores or working around the yard.

I took to buying a certain style of shoe from KMart that I found comfortable. A couple of times a year, they'd run a buy one, get one half off sale, sometimes with other discounts and no charge for shipping. If I worked it right I could order 4 pair and end up paying about $10-12 per pair. I'd buy in store if I had any other reason to be in town.

They last me close to a year, sometimes more. I break out a new pair and do the store and town trips until they start to get worn out looking. Then they get relegated to the walking routines. Eventually I start to walk through the soles and they become work/yard shoes only until they get to trashed to wear at all. I may have two-three pair in rotation that way at any one time.

I asked before and tried other brands for higher prices. I have yet to find any that will last as long, no matter the price.

^^^ My feet, back and knees now require good fit, quality in a large size as well. But I'll miss the Champion line of gym shoes sold at PL. For a low end brand they have been my standby for the gym and general walking [[they're not good enough for running).

Their house brand American Eagle has been pretty good as well.

I feel the online shoe places have contributed to the demise of stores like Payless. Even for those skittish about purchasing without first trying them on. Many online stores offer free shipping if the shoe does not fit.

I had a pair of zippered boots where the zipper broke within only a month of wearing. They [[Shoe.com) allowed me to ship the boots back, full refund. Incredible!
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-17-19 at 01:23 PM.

I have never found a pair of shoes at Payless that I have been able to wear longer than a couple hours at a time. That said, I have very bad flat feet, plates and screws in my back and bad knees and ankles so not very many shoes are comfortable on me for any length of time. My best bet is Clarks Cloudsteppers

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I have never found a pair of shoes at Payless that I have been able to wear longer than a couple hours at a time. That said, I have very bad flat feet, plates and screws in my back and bad knees and ankles so not very many shoes are comfortable on me for any length of time. My best bet is Clarks Cloudsteppers
    You'll pay a few more bucks for Clarks, but you can't beat 'em. And making cuter styles too. Men's styles are nice as well.

Payless shoes never lasted a season, at least in my case. You pay for what you get. I was grateful though, when my kids were small and growing out of a pair a shoes every few months.
    Last edited by Maof; February-16-19 at 06:17 PM.

Yes! I'm a Clarks gal myself. Or some of Avenue's Cloudwalker offerings. I work in settings with concrete floors and need that quality rubber soles Clarks provide along with a heel insert. I purchased my Clarks on eBay and Shoe.com. Yet I'll miss some of the PL offerings.

I have no idea why Billy Graham is still a thread.

Then I discovered I commented on a shoe thread about Billy Graham; so, maybe that’s how Billy Graham worked his holy mojo, he would scheme his way into completely disjointed conversations and then jump out of a cake wearing some assess leather chaps with some pasties and a little hat.

surprise!

geeze that is a mental image i would prefer not to see.

Nordstrom at Partridge, gone September 13th and Lord and Taylor at Lakeside mid September as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    A couple of times a year, they'd run a buy one, get one half off sale...
    What did you do with half a shoe?

Toys are us is reopening stores,during the boom 2002 -2006 many places borrowed money for major expansions,the economy crashed,the note came due.

It would be interesting to see how many retailers shut down economic nosedive reasons or online shopping impacted.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What did you do with half a shoe?
    Get a job at IHOP?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Get a job at IHOP?

now that's funny.

The IHOP on Jefferson near downtown comes to mind!