Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Whitmers Blue Dress

Of course she is entitled to wear whatever she wants, and she is a very pretty women, very smart and capable too. I watched about 2 minutes of that speech because I got bored. To me, I thought that dress was a little too tight, couldn’t understand why she would wear that, it just didn’t fit her very well.

Nobody cares what a Male politician wears. The fact that so many people are concerned over what a female wears just goes to show that they are not treated equally. She was appropriately covered and god-forbid her body has a few curves...She delivered a professional message, whether or not people agreed with it.

This should not be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    Nobody cares what a Male politician wears. The fact that so many people are concerned over what a female wears just goes to show that they are not treated equally. She was appropriately covered and god-forbid her body has a few curves...She delivered a professional message, whether or not people agreed with it.

Trump wears some of the cheapest-looking and most ill-fitting suits I've ever seen on a major politician. You'd certainly never know he's a wealthy man from the way he dresses.

^^^ Hah! He seems to have a penchant for never-ever buttoning his suit jackets to boot!!

Yes, yes and yes!

hey Softailrider can we STFU about how women dress please.

Here's some musings on DJT:
    POTUS scotch tapes his tie together because he's too corpulent. Poor Melanie prolly uses scotch tape on her eyes to get through her wifely duties during 'executive time'

http://time.com/4588846/donald-trump-clothing-hack-tie/
    Last edited by hybridy; February-15-19 at 09:08 AM.

"Dog bites man; that's not news. Man bite dog; now that's news."

Old quip.^

Gov. wears blue dress; that's not news. If the state of the state was boring that's probably good news.

Her dress was probably fine in person; certain fabrics photograph poorly; just watch the local news some days and see what some of those women wear.
    And, as said above, if this was a male Governor, no one would say a word. Does no one remember John Engler?

This is just a way to make her look "weak and womanly" even though her speech was fine and she did what was required: she talked about the state the State is in. I find it more than sad that a lot of the people denigrating her were women.

"Boys have teased me about my curves since 5th grade. My mom said “hold your head high and don’t let it bother you.”

That @Fox2News story was way out of line.

I’m tough, I can take it."
    Last edited by Maof; February-16-19 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Her dress was probably fine in person; certain fabrics photograph poorly; just watch the local news some days and see what some of those women wear.
    Absolutely agree. The weekend weather person on channel 2 wears clothing like she going to a club.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Of course she is entitled to wear whatever she wants, and she is a very pretty women, very smart and capable too. I watched about 2 minutes of that speech because I got bored. To me, I thought that dress was a little too tight, couldn’t understand why she would wear that, it just didn’t fit her very well.
    This is so incredibly sexist. Stop scrutinizing women for their appearances. Please, take it somewhere else.

She truly is a Pig and she is going to eat your lunch!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    She truly is a Pig and she is going to eat your lunch!
    Posts like this are why I hope Lowell introduces a block function on this site at some point.

The only reason I know this is an important[[!) issue is because the various websites [[e.g. ClickOnDetroit) were talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    This is so incredibly sexist. Stop scrutinizing women for their appearances. Please, take it somewhere else.

So which is it? Should we treat male and female politicians equally or is the physical appearance of Governor Whitmer off limits because she is a woman? [[I thought her dress looked fine by the way)
    There are probably dozens of comments on this forum about President Trump's hair, weight, ill fitting suits or his scotch taped tie [[There are already a few in this thread). So if Whitmer is not being treated equally, it's not exactly in the way that many here are suggesting.

I'm all for equality, but it's laughable to think that the clothing choice or physical appearance of men and women should, or ever will be treated equally. Most male politicians wear the same basic attire as the next, and rarely does one stand out from the crowd. Also, the simple fact being that once men reach a certain age most simply don't care much about what they wear, and they definitely don't care about what other men wear. A male politician is likely to be wearing the basic thing he's worn for the last 20 years.

Last edited by Johnnny5; February-15-19 at 02:34 PM.

I agree - You can be fat and out of shape as he is and look decent in a suit. Jackie Gleason looked great in a suit. Trump always looks awful. And that hair......Uhg.

When Governor Whitmer goes off on twitter demeaning the look of men or tosses out kindergarten insults at all of her opponents while having the thinnest skin imaginable about any criticism towards herself we can start treating her as we treat Trump. Fair?

A comparison towards Trump is ridiculous and downplays the sexism that has existed in politics.

The fact that FOX2 thought it would be worth compiling a bunch of tweets from slimeballs living in their parents basement and tweeting about the Gov's appearance says a lot about the state of media.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    So which is it? Should we treat male and female politicians equally or is the physical appearance of Governor Whitmer off limits because she is a woman?
    Men's appearances aren't heavily scrutinized. Obviously the genders should be treated equally, meaning the focus shouldn't be on her appearance.

Has there been a male politician in history where his outfits are the primary topic of discussion?

WHO CARES!

I'm more interested in where she is going to find the money to "Fix the damn roads."

I think it was John Kennedy that said he was surprised to find out upon taking office that things were as bad as he had been saying they were during his campaign. I think Whitmer is finding out the same thing. You can't fix the damn roads without the damn money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Men's appearances aren't heavily scrutinized. Obviously the genders should be treated equally, meaning the focus shouldn't be on her appearance.

Has there been a male politician in history where his outfits are the primary topic of discussion?
    Here's a link to the discussion about Whitmer's speech [[Minus commentary about her dress). It only has 10 posts, so I guess the dress must interest forumers more than the speech.

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...e-address-2019

My thoughts exactly.

Give it time and we'll be bitching about her great pair of politics instead. To be honest I'm partial to this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post

I didn't think those shoes went well with that dress either. She should learn how to accessorize.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast