Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Who remembers The Canopy Restaurant ?

It was located in West Bloomfield on Orchard Lake Road just south of Maple Road. It was a fine dining place with bar and banquets. Was there for thirty years! Anyone have pics? Remember the place? Have an event there?

Did it become Shalimar by any chance?

There was also a restaurant called The Canopy in downtown Brighton.

This is the only good mention I could find. The rest were behind newspapers.com's paywall:

B L O O M F I E L D CANOPY
    Lori Jacobs sings and plays piano and guitar Tuesdays-Saturdays
    through Aug 6 at the Bloomfield Canopy Restaurant and Lounge, 6560 Orchard Lake Road, just south of Maple Road, West Bloomfield.

6560 Orchard Lake puts it in the shopping center with Plum Market, on the southeast corner of Maple and Orchard Lake.

It's now Dark Tan Salon which is actually in the strip mall on the other side of Orchard Lake from Plum Mkt
    Last edited by jcole; February-15-19 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    It's now Dark Tan Salon which is actually in the strip mall on the other side of Orchard Lake from Plum Mkt
    Duh, good catch. I do that too often with Google Maps.

Yeah, they always default to across the street from the address you enter. Don't know why
    Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Duh, good catch. I do that too often with Google Maps.

I believe this was my Grandparent's restaurant. Anna Stratton. It was before my time of 1993. Been looking for more information about it. Every now and then I hear people mention it fondly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu1960 View Post
    It was located in West Bloomfield on Orchard Lake Road just south of Maple Road. It was a fine dining place with bar and banquets. Was there for thirty years! Anyone have pics? Remember the place? Have an event there?
    Last edited by Kajunkerspunk; October-16-19 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajunkerspunk View Post
    I believe this was my Grandmother's restaurant. Anna Stratton. It was before my time of 1993. Been looking for more information about it. Every now and then I hear people mention it fondly.
    I found an ad for it in the Detroit Jewish news archives from January 1977. The ad refers to “Host Frank Stratton.” The restaurant definitely wasn’t there 30 years as someone alluded to earlier as it became Blockbuster Video sometime in the 80s and lasted until Blockbuster’s meltdown last decade. I spent many hours there as a kid growing up in West Bloomfield. The building has since been subdivided into different stores.

This is from Dec 1978. I so far have found references for it being there for all of the '70's and that it was remodeled in 1969, so it must have been there for a while before that. Also, it survived a horrible tornado in March of '76.
    Name:  canopy.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  119.1 KB
    Last edited by jcole; October-14-19 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    T
    6560 Orchard Lake puts it in the shopping center with Plum Market, on the southeast corner of Maple and Orchard Lake.
    Nope, it puts it across the street - Northwest corner

Name:  519796.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  39.3 KB

Southwest corner. Look up the address. 6560 Orchard Lk. It's now where Dark Tan Salon is

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Southwest corner. Look up the address. 6560 Orchard Lk. It's now where Dark Tan Salon is
    Bah, that is what I meant!!!

I believe Frank Stratton was my Grandfather. He passed away when my mother was in her late teens so I never met him. I believe the restaurant was closed not long after that.

But my Grandmother Anna is still around. In her 90s now.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    I found an ad for it in the Detroit Jewish news archives from January 1977. The ad refers to “Host Frank Stratton.” The restaurant definitely wasn’t there 30 years as someone alluded to earlier as it became Blockbuster Video sometime in the 80s and lasted until Blockbuster’s meltdown last decade. I spent many hours there as a kid growing up in West Bloomfield. The building has since been subdivided into different stores.
    Last edited by Kajunkerspunk; October-16-19 at 04:49 PM.

I worked there from 1976/77 as a dishwasher and later a morning prep in the bar/kitchen. Dark...dark....place catering to cigar/bourbon crowd. my least favorite thing...cleaning the turtle soup pot. They would start it like on a Monday and let it cook for 3 days straight. Needed a jack hammer to clean it.

Name:  canopy.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  68.3 KB. From our 1976 WB yearbook

Came across a menu on eBay the day. Really cool find dated 1974. Name:  IMG_1404.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  122.2 KB Name:  IMG_1405.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  66.6 KB Name:  IMG_1406.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  111.1 KB

^ Yow-sers! Look at those prices.