Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by HoodKING View Post
    In my community we know that white racism creates all manner of havoc from health issues to employment and lifestyle issues..

I confront it 24/7 and I defeat it as well
    hows it been working for you

Agreed ..thats the problem with SJ as it has existed and why it seems never to gain a foothold. The newer econcepts is expand it to include everyone [[it has always left off people with disabilities). People don't realize they are giving up "theirs" by not helping others...in the long run .

UFO Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HoodKING View Post
    Malcolm X was an asshole..No one pays attention to his nonsense anymore...We need new activists not tired retreads and yoy's who quote dogma..

I'm not disagreeing with the fact that he was an asshole. Matter of fact he is just another race hustler in my book.
    Im just saying I think he may have been right regarding separation of your two races.

""Ever been stoped for DWW? ""

Not DWW, but had a Highway patrolman shove a 9mm in my ribs because he allegedly said he seen a gun in the floor of the car. It was during a DUI checkpoint, I wasn't driving. There was no gun. I've had cops follow me through small towns many times as soon as they realized I "wasn't from around there".

Followed around a mall?

Yes. Followed by security guards in the store...

Walking with a group of friends and getting stopped by police?

Yes. What are you kids doing, where are you headed, why were you over there? You actually think cops are just inquisitive of blacks?

""Get stopped by police and say "you look like a suspect in X crime" ?""

Yes. Or a car like this was reported in a crime and they investigated my hands for abrasions etc. Scanned my Drivers license, asked where I worked etc.

""Been denied employment even though you exceeded the requirments under the guise that you are over qualified?""

Most definitely.

I am white by the way.

Gaz that is similar to people with disabilities [[invisible) having fear of disclosure when interviewing. .there are barriers for people: minorities, ethnic groups, people with disabilities..and just about everyone else.. We all know that our problems stem from a Homogeneous approach to a heterogeneous world. THAT I got mine/pull yourself from the bootstrap is only applicable when you have boots on your feet and an equal playing field. It good to see people willing to continue to fight it and build a better world along the way like yourself. The key is recognizing the issues and still walking out the door to build a better world..all it takes is one person at a time.You my friend seem to see a better world despite the obvious barriers.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Going back to a quote from Tim Wise

"That's all I'm saying about white privilege: on balance, it pays to be a member of the dominant racial group. It doesn't mean that a white person will get everything they want in life, or win every competition, but it does mean that there are general advantages that we receive.
    So, for instance, studies have found that job applicants with white sounding names are 50% more likely to receive a call-back for a job interview than applicants with black-sounding names, even when all job-related qualifications and credentials are the same.
    Other studies have found that white men with a criminal record are more likely to get a call-back for an interview than black male job applicants who don't have one, even when all requisite qualifications, demeanor and communication styles are the same.
    Others have found that white women are far more likely than black women to be hired for work through temporary agencies, even when the black women have more experience and are more qualified "
    It sounds like your boy Tim Wise hasn't spent much time in the rural South lately. Yup. Those unemployed and undereducated white people in the sticks sure have it good. People are just bending over backwards to help out Billy Cracker.

Gazhekwe, if you read any of my post that you quoted, you would have read where I explicitly stated that I know people of all races who are successful, and people of all races who make excuses.

This thread reminds me of the girl from West Bloomfield that wrote for the Michigan Daily back in 1996 or so, and used her column to apologize for being white, and encouraged people on campus to go out of their way to befriend black people. Fuck her for feeling guilty and ashamed of herself--I already had a rainbow full of friends. It's not my problem her parents kept her locked in WonderBread CrackerLand for the first 18 years of her life. Welcome to the real world. Put on a helmet and buckle your chinstrap.

I'm not going to feel guilty because of who I am, and neither should anyone else.

And for what it's worth, if you saw my name written down, you wouldn't even think I knew how to speak, read, or write English. You want your kids to be taken seriously? Stop giving them names like Miata, Cristal, and LaQuinta [[which are all consumer brands, and all actual names that I've seen).

http://www.blackpeopleloveus.com/testimonials.html
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; September-01-09 at 03:38 PM.

ziggyselbin Guest

As our country becomes populated more and more by asians and indians and people from other parts of the world there will be much less sympathy for blacks. This is not a racist statement. It is reality. Because the above mentioned immigrants have dealt with hardships far worse [[in their eyes)than what blacks in the u.s. do. And they will not be carrying any "white privilege" .

ccbatson Guest

It is a racist statement as you are describing people based purely on their race.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    It is a racist statement as you are describing people based purely on their race.

I am saying asians and others from other nations countries have their own history of oppression; as they become the majority they will not be so quick to buy into the privilege agenda.

UFO Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    UFO that is not the answer ...got to keep working for a better society, and not give up when encountering barriers errected out of fear or other issues [[which cycles to fear). Actually, I have seen it everyday in my work..and it is great when you see the light bulbs clicking an dpeople really listening and working together...then we hold hands and sing kumbya.

I know that Gibran. My original comment was eant in a smart ass way. I would never ever advocate separating any of our people no matter what background.

Im one who believes in open borders. I believe in complete mixing of all races on this planet so that we finally become one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    ""Ever been stoped for DWW? ""

Not DWW, but had a Highway patrolman shove a 9mm in my ribs because he allegedly said he seen a gun in the floor of the car. It was during a DUI checkpoint, I wasn't driving. There was no gun. I've had cops follow me through small towns many times as soon as they realized I "wasn't from around there".

Followed around a mall?

Yes. Followed by security guards in the store...

Walking with a group of friends and getting stopped by police?

Yes. What are you kids doing, where are you headed, why were you over there? You actually think cops are just inquisitive of blacks?

""Get stopped by police and say "you look like a suspect in X crime" ?""

Yes. Or a car like this was reported in a crime and they investigated my hands for abrasions etc. Scanned my Drivers license, asked where I worked etc.

""Been denied employment even though you exceeded the requirments under the guise that you are over qualified?""

Most definitely.

I am white by the way.
    Shave your beard, take off your biker uniform, put on a nice suit and bingo ! problem solved.. No more DWW for you !!

I wish it was as easy for black folk !

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    I know that Gibran. My original comment was eant in a smart ass way. I would never ever advocate separating any of our people no matter what background.

Im one who believes in open borders. I believe in complete mixing of all races on this planet so that we finally become one.
    UFO ;I was being rhetorical...I have seen your humanity and it is well placed..

First and ten _ yes we all do too...that's why we all have to keep working towards that day..where everyone won't get hassled because of color, last names, religion or nationality..man it is hard and discouraging some days, but there are many out there that are struggling and some still have small voices-it is those who we continuously fight for.

ghettopalmetto: Gazhekwe, if you read any of my post that you quoted, you would have read where I explicitly stated that I know people of all races who are successful, and people of all races who make excuses.

I did read your post. You ended up with ONE group works its way out of bad situations. It was obvious you did not mean the group that is not yours. The successful ones in the other group are exceptional. It clearly demonstrates that wall that black people have to climb over before even getting to the starting line.

Quote: "Shave your beard, take off your biker uniform, put on a nice suit and bingo ! problem solved.. No more DWW for you !!"

No beard, no biker. Police look for something that doesn't fit. White guy walking through a black neighborhood. Black guy walking through a white neighborhood, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    ghettopalmetto: Gazhekwe, if you read any of my post that you quoted, you would have read where I explicitly stated that I know people of all races who are successful, and people of all races who make excuses.

I did read your post. You ended up with ONE group works its way out of bad situations. It was obvious you did not mean the group that is not yours. The successful ones in the other group are exceptional. It clearly demonstrates that wall that black people have to climb over before even getting to the starting line.
    Sounds like someone is using their own prejudices to make their own inferences.

The word "group" isn't the same as the word "race", sweetheart.

Here is your full quote referring to minorities who are not executives and other people [[not minorities):

Who are those innocent minority men and women that would otherwise be Fortune 500 execs? I'm sure they just stumbled into the wrong place at the wrong time, didn't they?

I know many bright, successful people of all races. And I know moronic underachievers of all races. The difference between them is that one of these two groups of people busts their ass in spite of circumstances [[because we ALL have circumstances) and the other makes excuses. Which one are you?

Perhaps I did jump at the wonderful illustration of the barriers faced by minorities. Another way to read it would be to define the groups as achievers and underachievers. If that is what you mean, OK. But that meaning ignores the barriers faced by minority people who have to prove they are not underachievers before they even start, and even if they do, they have problems based on the perceptions of their race by the institutions.

For the record, I am an achiever. I have seen those barriers first hand. The school system I started with assumed I [[a minority woman) would never go to college, so no tracking or assistance was provided. Why bother? I moved here and a whole new world opened up in my senior year. I got National Merit Scholar and a full tuition scholarship. My records from the other school didn't reflect my many community service points, so my counselor backtracked with the counselor up there and completed my records so I would qualify. I have realized I was not recognized as a minority in the DPS. I hope this personal story will show the kind of barriers I am talking about. And the reverse side of the barrier is its absence, which may be called privilege.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; September-02-09 at 08:56 AM.

no one should ever define the worth of another. I too had the effects of lowered expectations because of a Learning Disability..overcame it despite the obvious and has spent the entirety of my professional career making sure others did not have expectations lowered for whatever demographic they represent. You can yell at injustices and scream into into mirrors or you can get out and do something. I am so glad to see many here at least are speaking out and building bridges ...
    Last edited by gibran; September-02-09 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: "Shave your beard, take off your biker uniform, put on a nice suit and bingo ! problem solved.. No more DWW for you !!"

No beard, no biker. Police look for something that doesn't fit. White guy walking through a black neighborhood. Black guy walking through a white neighborhood, etc.
    AH ! racial profiling in reverse that sucks doesn't it !

But the point in your story shouldn't be " well it happens to us whites also, so get over it"

it should be police shouldn't racial profile at all its wrong on multiple levels.

it reinforces that mistaken idea that if

your white in the black hood you're trying to score drugs or sex and if
    your black in the white hood you're looking to do a B&E or something similar

But its just plain lazy policing.

But I digress, stuff like that I would refer to as racial bigotry, unecessary, enough to mess up my day but ultimately doesn't affect me on an institutional basis. [[ of course unless I'm falsely arrested as a result)

You aren't digressing ..just hiting the nail on the head.

Not racial profiling at all..

They are given a field to work in, in that field are different situations, i.e. areas of varying social class and varied ethnic neighborhoods. They base their police work on the conditions. They don't make the conditions. If they see a guy in a suit carrying a brief case in an area where his social standing does not match, they are going to investigate.

ccbatson Guest

Profiling is human nature, you can't eliminate it.

You can't eliminate the thought, maybe. But we have the ability to use reason to determine the validity of our instinctive snap judgments. To not use our reasoning ability is to confine ourselves to a lower level of existence.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3