Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit City Charter Commission

The Charter of the City of Detroit is up for revision.

Nine Commissioners have been elected in November 2018.

The meetings will occur twice a month until a revised charter can be created and brought to the city of Detroit to be voted on.

All meetings are public, and posted on the city of Detroit's website.

The next meeting will be taking place on February 23.

I've only been on a few meetings and there has been a lot of people appearing at each meeting.

So far the city runs on the charter made in 2012.

Should anyone here wanna take a look, it's available under attachments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm still confused as to why this was needed or voted upon or why people even voted yes for it. 2012 was so recent I didn't think it would nee a looksy again so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I'm still confused as to why this was needed or voted upon or why people even voted yes for it. 2012 was so recent I didn't think it would nee a looksy again so soon.
    I’m going to take a wild guess here.

Because maybe the downtown and adjoining has been getting a lot of love since 2012 and the average Detroiter not quite as much?

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    I’m going to take a wild guess here.

Because maybe the downtown and adjoining has been getting a lot of love since 2012 and the average Detroiter not quite as much?
    I appreciate your guess!

But, why would "out-city" residents need a revised charter to "take on" the downtown/midtown love?

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    But, why would "out-city" residents need a revised charter to "take on" the downtown/midtown love?
    A new charter would incorporate a lot more Canadian/Trudeau style requirements on diversity, inclusion, intersectionality, etc. Its added to every document these days, so everything needs to be revised. Once inserted, it can be used to require spending be equalized in the interest of fostering the above.

If you rely on gov't spending to solve your problems, then its natural to use gov't principles to gain your share of the cash.

[[Am I descending into cynicism?)
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; February-14-19 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    [[Am I descending into cynicism?)
    LOL yes, but my push back on that would be can't the city council simply approve that change if that was their sole goal for a new city charter?

Detroit Charter Commissioner Joanna Underwood told 4 African Americans cops and several African American LCA Employees who are just trying to make a living and supports their family. "your like the Africans who sold us on the ship" even worst she was with a large group of WHITE commies not DETROIT RESIDENCES. https://youtu.be/jl4WVAy3o4A?t=1032

... are they going to determine whether to align city elections with even numbered years, perhaps presidential elections?