Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Question on interview process

I have a family member that is currently interviewing for jobs with several companies. Last time I had an interview was 25 years ago and I know the process has changed. My question is, when the interviewer ask how much did you make in your previous job and/or what are you looking for in compensation, should you really come up with numbers or say something along the line of "negotiable". I know several states have a law in place that you are not allowed to ask that question.

To many variables when somebody comes from another job.

From the employers side of things,applicants usually tak on more money then they were making as a starting negotiating point,also taking into account benefits,demand,expirence what they are offering etc.

Employers usually have a set wage they start out with or maybe a trial period then an increase.

They cannot call your past employer and ask anything really, so no way to verify.

I think the main thing is when asked why one is changing jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    ... when the interviewer ask how much did you make in your previous job and/or what are you looking for in compensation, should you really come up with numbers or say something along the line of "negotiable"....
    I've always been told that it's better to ask how much the position pays, or say you first need more information about the position. If they persist, keep asking for more information. The employer isn't likely to get to the interview stage without having their own numbers in mind.

I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that you don't want to win a bidding war by undercutting all the other candidates. You'd likely be shortchanging yourself and, worse, you'd find yourself surrounded by coworkers who also underbid — a sad situation for both employer and employees.

Great time to be interviewing though. Good luck to your family member!

I have a family member that is currently interviewing for jobs with several companies. Last time I had an interview was 25 years ago and I know the process has changed. My question is, when the interviewer ask how much did you make in your previous job and/or what are you looking for in compensation, should you really come up with numbers or say something along the line of "negotiable". I know several states have a law in place that you are not allowed to ask that question.

Are they replying to a "Help Wanted" sign, or are they going on a professional interview? If it's the latter, then they should be doing their research in advance, entry level, average pay scale, maximum pay. What kind of company? Start-up, Fortune 500, one-time-project. Bennies, 401, advancement chances? Are they a seasoned pro, just out of college, looking for a starting position or a career move? You don't want to sell yourself short, and you don't want to shoot for the moon either. You also don't want to demand answers and piss the interviewer off. They should be walking in with some kind of idea where they're going. The interviewer will sense they've done their homework and it'll work to their advantage.

Make sure to keep your facebook tidy and not to revealing or controversial as potential employers now consider your social media activity [[or inactivity) open season to judge your abilities, personality, politics and world view.

I don't have a facebook account. Some opt for linkedin where if you ignore the increasing bell-and-whistles can serve as a dynamic resume, with recommendation options that are usually to ones advantage. Employees then at least know you're a social media 'participant' at a most basic level, sans the drama that can rise eyebrows. Or used to exclude.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-14-19 at 06:31 AM.

It’s like China,everything goes against your civic credit score.

A bad post on social media effects even your ability to rent.

Social media accounts are all good. The position is white collar. The previous job started as an internship during the last few months of college and then was offered a full-time position at graduation for 3 years. A few layoffs started in October and has been applying since.

99% of all interviews start off with a phone call and the possibility of a follow up. I'm just trying to steer them in the right direction when that question is asked. Like I said, last time I interviewed, it was face to face. Even if the question of salary is brought up, I just don't get how you judge a person over the phone.

Social media accounts are all good. The position is white collar. The previous job started as an internship during the last few months of college and then was offered a full-time position at graduation for 3 years. A few layoffs started in October and has been applying since.

99% of all interviews start off with a phone call and the possibility of a follow up. I'm just trying to steer them in the right direction when that question is asked. Like I said, last time I interviewed, it was face to face. Even if the question of salary is brought up, I just don't get how you judge a person over the phone.

The only times I interviewed was face to face, so I don't know either. One time, on the third and final interview, she told me it looked like I had the job. "Oh, one last thing", she said, and got real quiet, "would I object to taking a drug test?" I stared @ her straight faced, and finally said "gee, I don't know, what kind of drugs are they?". I did end up getting the job.

Interesting that you asked this yesterday just before the Gov. gave her speech and mentioned that she wants to implement a policy whereby women can not be asked that very question. Apparently, it allows employers to keep from having to pay women an equal wage; they can be trapped into a range that they have lived with in the past

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Interesting that you asked this yesterday just before the Gov. gave her speech and mentioned that she wants to implement a policy whereby women can not be asked that very question. Apparently, it allows employers to keep from having to pay women an equal wage; they can be trapped into a range that they have lived with in the past
    I wasn't able to watch her speech. It's a great policy but, I think it should be across the board that it can't be asked.
    Last edited by Maof; February-13-19 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Great time to be interviewing though. Good luck to your family member!
    Thanks, I sure hope so since the job search has been going on since early November.
    Last edited by Maof; February-14-19 at 12:58 PM.

I didn't search for this. It just popped up in the videos that YouTube recommends to me. [[That's creepy.) It pretty much agrees with what I said ^^^ upstairs.

The Best Answer to "What's Your Expected Salary?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I didn't search for this. It just popped up in the videos that YouTube recommends to me. [[That's creepy.) It pretty much agrees with what I said ^^^ upstairs.

The Best Answer to "What's Your Expected Salary?"
    Thanks. I found some of the responses to the video to be pretty good, if not better. Funny thing is, he was just offered two jobs last week after two actual face to face interviews. One accepted at a slightly higher pay than the previous job. This phone interview crap is just that. Just to weed out some of the process I suppose but the "old fashion" way did the trick in this case.

Thank you so much for sharing video, it was really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherRogers View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing video, it was really helpful.
    You're most welcome, Christopher.