Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit News: Less of Detroit is burning

According to The News: The average number of structure fires annually in the city has declined by 42 percent since 2014. Link.

I've already seen the joke "Well there's nothing left to burn harharhar" a few times, but I have to think this is linked to demolition programs getting rid of abandoned homes that are easy targets to burn. Hopefully, the broken windows theory works here for burned homes.

The part about how fires are classified is interesting. I think we saw the same "creative" math with the violent crime statistics.

Do you need to pull an asbestos permit before it gets torched ?

The average cost of demolition, including asbestos abatement, for 6,152 Detroit houses torn down under Hardest Hit funding between March 18, 2014 and Oct. 5, 2015 was $13,870, according to a list of contracts provided by the Detroit Land Bank.