Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Lawmakers push to designate Detroit's Historic Fort Wayne as national park

-Democratic state Sen. Stephanie Chang and Detroit City Councilwoman Raquel Castaneda-Lopez want the city to deed Historic Fort Wayne to the federal government.

-The star-shaped fort was built between 1842 and 1851 and features an 1848 limestone barracks building, commanding officers house, Spanish-American War guard house and a Tuskegee Airmen Museum. The grounds also contain a Native American burial site dating back more than 1,000 years.

Chang said in release that as a national park, Historic Fort Wayne would receive “dedicated funding and resources.”

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...-national-park

Great idea!!

It would likely have to be a National Monument... such as Charleston SC Fort Sumpter is a National Monument.

I'm surprised it's taken this long to consider this. This is an excellent idea. I'd love to see the place fixed up. It's been a wasted opportunity. Many cities would kill to have this kind of attraction in there towns.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    I'm surprised it's taken this long to consider this. This is an excellent idea. I'd love to see the place fixed up. It's been a wasted opportunity. Many cities would kill to have this kind of attraction in there towns.
    Great point. This is something that should have happened a long time ago. Better late than never, so I applaud those who are pushing to make this happen. Overall it makes a lot of sense.

A National Park under a bridge, next to a freeway, across from Zug Island, and in the middle of an industrial section, brilliant!
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-07-19 at 03:51 PM.

Besides being built in the early 1840s, there is little of historical signifigance to Fort Wayne. It never had cannons installed and never saw military action. So turning it into a National Monument, as much as I would love to see that done, is unlikely.

Early in Mayor Duggan's term, the architectural firm that designed the High Line Park in New York was contacted and asked for suggestions about
    the reuse of Fort Wayne. What came of that endeavor? Are national military park funded and sustained by the Department of the Interior or
    by the Defense Department? There is one along the River Raisin isn't there?

You could stick some cannon in there in case of Canada attacking.

With an Indian burial ground does it not still receive some protections?

It does have history,even if it was behind the scenes,worst case scenario is it is restored or fixed up and brings tourism $ to the area.

It falls under the National Parks oversite,the military wording is just adding a designation,Kinda like the Gettysburg National military park.

If they take it over the public really has no say in what occurs there without a 20 year battle,so there is that aspect also.
    Last edited by Richard; February-07-19 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    Early in Mayor Duggan's term, the architectural firm that designed the High Line Park in New York was contacted and asked for suggestions about
    the reuse of Fort Wayne. What came of that endeavor? Are national military park funded and sustained by the Department of the Interior or
    by the Defense Department? There is one along the River Raisin isn't there?
    National Historic Sites regardless of their classification as a historic site, national monument, historical park or military historical park, etc. are all managed by the national park service.

I believe that national monument is the only one the president can proclaim though... all the rest require an act of congress and presidential signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Besides being built in the early 1840s, there is little of historical signifigance to Fort Wayne. It never had cannons installed and never saw military action. So turning it into a National Monument, as much as I would love to see that done, is unlikely.
    So, no one is talking about making it a national monument. And let's be clear, whether or not it was used for it's original use, a fort from 1840 on a river on an international border is of historical significance. You're speaking of it as if it's some shopping mall from the 60's.