Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Video Game Documentary Series Searching for 1980s Arcade Owners

Hello All!

My name is Alexandra and I am a producer on a documentary series about the golden age of video games.

I am trying to get in touch with someone who owned an arcade in Detroit in the early 1980s.

Also, does anyone happen to know if any of those arcades still exist? I think most of them––if not all––closed, but it's possible someone knows something I don't!

Please don't hesitate to contact me on here with any information or email me at alexandra.miller@turner.com

Thank you!
    Alexandra

Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum comes immediately to mind.

An old DYes thread: Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum

Thank you!

Marvin's is probably the only old arcade left. It's still run by the same family. The original owner just passed away last year.

The big arcade on the east side was called Galaxy in Roseville. It was across the street from Macomb Mall on Gratiot Ave. It closed about 15 years ago, it's now a store called Precision Jewelers. I don't know who the owners were, but it's a place to start looking.

You could check with Big Toys Arcade, which is an arcade game retailer and repair shop in Sterling Heights. They might have some leads on information:
    http://www.bigtoysarcade.com/
    Last edited by JBMcB; February-07-19 at 08:45 AM.

Oh thank you so much for this info. It's very helpful!!

Yes I've seen this! Unfortunately I think this was shot in the 90s although I havent been able to confirm. Thank you for posting!

This thread has been moved by moderators from the Connections forum as it fitting of the better visibility of the Discuss Detroit forum.

My guy's mom ran Time Zone on 9 and John R for several years until it closed. Here's a thread about the place, it talks about several different arcades in the area:

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...ack-in-the-day

https://m.facebook.com/pages/categor...indarts/posts/

This company in Mt pleasant has been around supplying machines all over for a longtime. Looks like they're selling their remaining machines.

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    Wizzards was technically on the Warren side of 8 Mile, between Gratiot and Schoenherr.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    My guy's mom ran Time Zone on 9 and John R for several years until it closed. Here's a thread about the place, it talks about several different arcades in the area:

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...ack-in-the-day
    Hey I just sent you a message and would love to connect!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    https://m.facebook.com/pages/categor...indarts/posts/

This company in Mt pleasant has been around supplying machines all over for a longtime. Looks like they're selling their remaining machines.
    Thanks for the tip!

Just a shot in the dark, but Tim Arnold, of Las Vegas' Pinball Museum was an arcade owner in Lansing and Ann Arbor from the 70s through 1990. He also collected games, so I'm sure he new many other arcade owners. He might be a good resource.

The Starbucks next to the main Beaumont [[13 & Woodward) was an arcade until maybe 15 or so years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The Starbucks next to the main Beaumont [[13 & Woodward) was an arcade until maybe 15 or so years ago.
    Was that the old/now Fried Chicken Starbucks building, or the new Starbucks down by Coolidge?

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Was that the old/now Fried Chicken Starbucks building, or the new Starbucks down by Coolidge?
    Oops, maybe it moved? I never drive by there anymore.

There was a Starbucks on the NW corner of Woodward/13, across from Beaumont. It was previously an arcade, for maybe a 20 year run.

OK, I just looked on Streetview. The Starbucks is now Gus' Fried Chicken.

The same building had the arcade. Had some space-themed name [[I think).

Oops, maybe it moved? I never drive by there anymore.

There was a Starbucks on the NW corner of Woodward/13, across from Beaumont. It was previously an arcade, for maybe a 20 year run.
    You claim to live in the 14 Mile and Woodward area yet you never drive by 13 Mile and Woodward???

The Simulation Station was in Oakland Mall back in the early 80's with BattleZone, Dragon's Lair, Tempest.

The Butterfly Suite was at or next to the old Van Dyke Drive-in and had put put golf and a driving range.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    You claim to live in the 14 Mile and Woodward area yet you never drive by 13 Mile and Woodward???
    That is correct. I rarely travel right around Beaumont.

Bizarre question, though. Seek help, seriously.

That is correct. I rarely travel right around Beaumont.

Bizarre question, though. Seek help, seriously.
    It makes sense that you didn’t know what you were talking about with Huntington Woods [[10-11 Mile and Woodward) if you don’t even know 13 Mile and Woodward. You continue to out yourself as a complete Trump-like fraud.
    Last edited by Towne Cluber; February-27-19 at 09:32 PM.

Seriously.

I can't tell if this guy travels all over and knows everything or if he is a 100% Grade-A bullshitter, which kinda deserves some respect for how much he's stuck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrenite84 View Post
    The Simulation Station was in Oakland Mall back in the early 80's with BattleZone, Dragon's Lair, Tempest.

The Butterfly Suite was at or next to the old Van Dyke Drive-in and had put put golf and a driving range.
    Great thank you!!

It makes sense that you didn’t know what you were talking about with Huntington Woods [[10-11 Mile and Woodward) if you don’t even know 13 Mile and Woodward. You continue to out yourself as a complete Trump-like fraud.
    Yes, you [[finally!) got me. You're a smart guy, really!

The fact that I didn't know that a Starbucks was now a fried chicken joint, at an intersection I probably pass twice a year "outs me as a complete Trump-like fraud."

Also I'm apparently unaware that said fried chicken joint is somehow related to Huntington Woods and whether or not it's a residential community.

Damn your investigative skills and encyclopedic knowledge [[and apparent hidden GPS tracker)!
    Last edited by Bham1982; February-28-19 at 11:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast