Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

OH, like the guy who acted as a clerk, in a office chair, aged 50,
    will suddenly become a Pipe Fitter, Welder, Electrician, etc., etc., etc.
    Let him sell that house and rip his kids out of school..........yeah right !
    Ageism is alive and rampant, people will figure that out FAST

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    What is an unemployed auto employee to do in Feb 2019 ?
    Learn to code...

Would you hire a newbie coder in your company aged 50+ ,
    mentor them, and let them grow the next 15 years of their life ???

Most companies would not I think. That scene can be very youth oriented.

Newbie coders, no, but experienced coders are in demand.

Aside from that, I know a few GM employees whom have been laid off, and they've already had a few job offers. The job market is still relatively hot, especially if you're willing to move out of the area. Tier 1 suppliers in particular would love to have experienced GM engineers on their team.

Looks like my attempt at subtle sarcasm was a little too subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    That kind of says she is. It will be interesting to revisit your assessment in five years.
    1) Important? Salutes from frightened Dems? Trump shocked everyone, left and right. Dems, I suspect, believe that an equal but opposites shock is what's next. They think AOCs Green Leap Forward might be it, and don't want to be left behind.

2) Revisit in five? That is always the test. To be important AOC has to do more than dream. She has to do two things. 1) Get Dems elected, 2) Implement something big. Dreaming is easy. Implementing isn't.

'Leaping' off from there... I suspect the ideas of AOC aren't going to die quickly. She has found a bit of 'magic powder'... MMT. Previously in politics you had to tell how you were going to pay for your new programs. But AOC discovered MMT, which she argues makes deficit spending enjoyable and profitable. Removing the cost of her programs from the discussion is brilliant. [[Might I say Trump-like?). Who doesn't want free health-care and college education. She has found a way to pay for it. Just ignore the cost. She found an economic theory that 'proves' the monetary system is just a game 'rigged' by the rich. And voila! Anything is possible and affordable.

I think this theory is absurd, but will have legs. And it will appeal to Trump's marginalized white, rust-belt voters.

Let's say the 2020 Dem White House and Congress pass free college. Turn on MMT. In a year or two, nobody will have any idea how to do anything except keep funding it. Killing it will be political suicide. And we'll find out if its economic suicide.

Next... Dems will celebrate their beneficence. And Repubs will wimpier about the coming economic collapse. Everyone's kids will be at free college. So free stuff will win over austerity. Repeat as necessary.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; February-14-19 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Adding way too much speculation for fun

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    You say 'discovered MMT' as if she didn't have a degree in economics. I don't know - after forty years of real wage stagnation, maybe it's time to try something different. Or, we could continue on the same course - as the wealth gap widens ever further - and watch the guillotines roll out.

Next... Dems will celebrate their beneficence. And Repubs will wimpier about the coming economic collapse. Everyone's kids will be at free college. So free stuff will win over austerity. Repeat as necessary.
    If politicians could ignore politics, they could easily find good reasons.

Number one would be to help people.

Isn't that the purpose of gov't? To coordinate the public commons in the interest of the people?

I can't think of a better public purpose than to help Highland Park's citizens.
    Will the real Wesley Mouch please stand up?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2