Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Junior High in Poletown-East [[Closed & Razed)

Perhaps there is someone who can help me. There was a junior high [[Middle school) west of Northeastern High [[closed in 1982) and just before you got to the Chrysler FWY in the poletown east area. Does anyone remember the school’s name? I believe the name started with G.

Garfield Intermediate School, perhaps.

Sorry, it was not Garfield. Thanks anyway.

To the south [[not the west) was "Knudsen Junior High School". There is now a football field and track there at Chene and Mack.

No. It wasn’t south. I remember Knudsen Junior High. This school was between E. Warren Ave and East Canfield Street and what is now Chrysler Drive.

Golightly is on St. Antoine and Ferry. This is the closest school to the Chrysler service drive and near Warren Avenue. It is nowhere close to Canfield. For something to fit your exact description, Uncle, it would have had to been a school along Hastings Street.

Let me recheck The U.S. Geological Survey's Earth Explorer for the year 1958 to make sure the school's building is there. 1958 was just before the Chrysler FWay was built.

Definitely east of the Chrysler? And south of the Ford?

From a 1955 map of schools in the city.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  222.7 KB
    Last edited by MikeM; February-04-19 at 02:16 PM.

Where did you get this. Can you send this to me?

I found it, folks.
    The school's name was Greusel Jr. High and it was closer to the E. Edsel FWY.

The block streets were Moran St. to Ellery St. and Holborn st. to Medbury St.
    I apologize for the mix up with the prior location. It’s been a long time [[63 yrs) since living there and going to school there. Someone wrote in another post that Greusel Jr. High was torn down in the 1980s.
    Name:  Screenshot_2.png
Views: 529
Size:  158.8 KB
    Below is the current location as it appear now
    Name:  Screenshot_3.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  27.0 KB
    Here is a picture of the front of the school. I have "cleaned" it up to where it brought back memory.
    Name:  Screenshot_4.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  77.0 KB
    Last edited by uncle; February-13-19 at 11:46 AM. Reason: to add a picture

Quote Originally Posted by uncle View Post
    I found it, folks.
    The school's name was Greusel Jr. High and it was closer to the E. Edsel FWY.

The block streets were Moran St. to Ellery St. and Holborn st. to Medbury St.
    I apologize for the mix up with the prior location. It’s been a long time [[63 yrs) since living there and going to school there. Someone wrote in another post that Greusel Jr. High was torn down in the 1980s.
    Maybe this'll help:

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...-Poletown-Area