Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

History shows that civilizations end. I often wonder what the beginning of the end looks like. I think it looks like this.

Bring marshmallows!

“Yes, the planet got destroyed. But for a beautiful moment
    in time we created a lot of value for shareholders.”

Permanent premium health care mind you. Hah! Even Castro came here to get some at the end of his life!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Exactly. It's like politicians with lifetime. top-of-the-line, permanent healthcare for themselves and their loved ones, telling you to tighten up your belt.

I call bullshit, they lost some money due to gas loss,
    [[insurance claim no doubt) and it all goes Kabloeey,
    not buying into the hype.

The grid has plenty of natural gas
    http://www.jsg.utexas.edu/news/files...peline-A1.jpeg

Last edited by O3H; January-31-19 at 09:14 AM.

I'm predicting a Midwest baby explosion come late September/early October. Cuddle alerts can have long-term repercussions you know.

They lost their main compression station and are worried that they can't supply that abundance of gas to consumers.
    C'mon people, a few degrees of heat isn't going to kill anyone that's reasonably healthy and you can crank it back up and give CP more money by tomorrow. It's 1 day out of your lives; it won't kill you
    Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    I call bullshit, they lost some money due to gas loss,
    [[insurance claim no doubt) and it all goes Kabloeey,
    not buying into the hype.

The grid has plenty of natural gas
    http://www.jsg.utexas.edu/news/files...peline-A1.jpeg

The saint in me says let's band together and decrease energy use in this tough time. [[though would like that plea to come from Whitmer or Duggan) The realist in me says these companies are monopolies and still can't keep energy flowing in wind storms, deep freezes ect. wth.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Permanent premium health care mind you. Hah! Even Castro came here to get some at the end of his life!

And our politicians go to Canada.... go figure.

Yep, I'm a September baby at the end of the baby-boom era. Hah!

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    I'm predicting a Midwest baby explosion come late September/early October. Cuddle alerts can have long-term repercussions you know.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-31-19 at 10:48 AM.

Yes, thus I dialed down somewhat in compliance. Everything can not be bound in politics.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    The saint in me says let's band together and decrease energy use in this tough time. [[though would like that plea to come from Whitmer or Duggan) The realist in me says these companies are monopolies and still can't keep energy flowing in wind storms, deep freezes ect. wth.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-31-19 at 10:47 AM.

This is the result of not using COAL for your main energy source. Keep believing in "green" energies.

Imagine if even 1/2 [[1/8, whatever) of the cars in the State of Michigan were electric running off our substandard electric grid.

If DY posters represent a cross section of Consumers customers' snarkiness, selfishness, and intended noncompliance with the request to dial down, we're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    The saint in me says let's band together and decrease energy use in this tough time. [[though would like that plea to come from Whitmer or Duggan) ....
    Whitmer has made that plea.

Gov. Whitmer asks Michigan residents to turn heat down to 65 degrees or less

On WWJ I heard mention of the possibility of temporary gas outages. Later I heard that would only be a last resort. Well, yeah, I would expect that to be a last resort.

So now I'm planning ahead to figure out how to drain the plumbing just in case. I imagine the reason outages would be "temporary" would be to prevent burst water pipes so draining wouldn't be necessary.

Doesn't hurt to plan ahead though.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    If DY posters represent a cross section of Consumers customers' snarkiness, selfishness, and intended noncompliance with the request to dial down, we're doomed.
    It's the result of multiple generations of nearly unlimited abundance, and probably the greatest weakness we have as Americans. In Japan or China a request like this would probably have near 100% compliance with little complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    In defense of O3H, I think he was referring to them minimizing their loses by making sure their bad problem doesn't get worse, which would be a much bigger hit to their bottom line than a brief/temporary drop in consumption.
    And once we're by this I hope their asses are dragged up before regulatory bodies and commissions for answers and, if deserved, penalties and mandates. They appear to have screwed up and left our metro D vulnerable to what could have been a major disaster.

Still, I think it is good civic responsibility for us to reduce consumption if possible. I know that is a hard ask in the this age of outrage, but I will do my part. On the big user end I have heard that all GM plants have shut and other big consumers are hurry to say how much they are helping.

And just checking their stock price CMS is up 0.08%, slightly ahead of the broader market.

Hah! How's about that. So imagine a repeat of the great depression ala resigned folks waiting in lines for soup and bread like those bw films. Nope! It would be anarchy! People on-the-absolute-nut, stomping over folks, burning, looting, shooting at helicopters dropping off food, total disaster etc.

As per our increasing culture and social degeneracy [[celebrated by some) many are FAR gone beyond the stogy conventions of the polite, fellow-feeling thing.

Sewing and reaping indeed!! See the fights, bedlam over that Friday sales after Thanksgiving day thing. And that's in good times. God help us! ----

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-31-19 at 11:09 AM.

Right-o. The average American has no concept of levels of grinding poverty say of Burundi, Haiti, parts of India etc. No potable water, toilets, no cable tv! And we're already divided in our values and politics ala the far left vs. the far right.

Japan is more unified culturally; China more dictatorially responsive per theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    It's the result of multiple generations of nearly unlimited abundance, and probably the greatest weakness we have as Americans. In Japan or China a request like this would probably have near 100% compliance with little complaint.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-31-19 at 11:12 AM.

Pity, empathy, compassion for a utility company ...........nah, nope !!!

The federal Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration
    "has identified roughly 5,688 miles of at-risk natural gas pipeline
    in Michigan ... approximately 50 percent of all the at-risk pipe
    in the PHMSA's 11-state central region."
    --It could cost around $500 million for the project. and the report said
    that's part of the problem.
    State law requires projects to exceed a half-billion dollars.

www.clickondetroit.com/news/michigan-needs-over-5600-at-risk-natural-gas-pipelines-fixed-study-says

It is a PUBLIC utility - run by us - for us .....yeah , democracy !!!

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/m...t_607863_7.pdf

Do you feel your voice is heard on the utilities commission, utility regulatory commission [[URC), public utilities commission [[PUC), or public service commission [[PSC) governing body that regulates the rates and services of a public utility ?

NaturalGas / Electric / Water as a singular, unique entity, a utility company
    --- YES --- it already exists in the USA --- a true monopoly --
    https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171204005712/en/Eversource-Completes-Acquisition-Aquarion-Water-Company

How did you spend your Refund - Credit - Money Back - $$$
    https://www.michigan.gov/mpsc/0,4639...9771--,00.html

MPSC approves nearly $50.3 million in cuts to customer bills
    from 7 utilities following federal corporate tax reduction

LANSING, Mich. – The Michigan Public Service Commission [[MPSC) today approved settlement agreements with seven utilities to pass on to ratepayers their savings from the federal tax law rewrite, beginning in July. Three other utilities had no impact from the changes.

Filings were approved for Alpena Power Co., DTE Gas Co., Michigan Gas Utilities Corp., Northern States Power, SEMCO Energy Gas Co., and Upper Michigan Energy Resources Corp. [[UMERC). There was no impact on rates for Detroit Thermal LLC, Presque Isle Electric & Gas Co-op, and Wisconsin Electric Power Co.

Credit A savings totaled $50,278,473 for the seven companies.

Rulings will be announced later for Consumers Energy Co., DTE Electric Co., Indiana Michigan Power Co. [[I&M), and Upper Peninsula Power Co. [[UPPCo).
    "Through swift action by the Commission, Michigan ratepayers will experience millions of dollars in refunds on their utility bills starting this summer due to changes in federal corporate income taxes," said Sally Talberg, chairman of the MPSC. “Utilities are benefiting from the tax cuts and their customers should, too.”
    Last edited by O3H; January-31-19 at 12:54 PM.

Right-o. The average American has no concept of levels of grinding poverty say of Burundi, Haiti, parts of India etc. No potable water, toilets, no cable tv! And we're already divided in our values and politics ala the far left vs. the far right.

Japan is more unified culturally; China more dictatorially responsive per theirs.
    Or parts of the US, say ... Appalachia, many other rural and some urban areas, some Native American Reservations .....

Yes, thus I dialed down somewhat in compliance. Everything can not be bound in politics.
    Right. I dialed down too.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Truth. Though our weakness can be overcome with some solidarity and heros to look up to. Sadly we're millions of miles from that right now.

heard from family that GM Tech Center is closed today + tomorrow due to consumers fire.

Amazon closed due to caring for its workers - outside in the cold.
    Logistics, vehicle moves, scheduling for warehouse operations.
    Romulus with 850,000 square feet was vacant Wed.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Amazon closed due to caring for its workers - outside in the cold.
    Logistics, vehicle moves, scheduling for warehouse operations.
    Romulus with 850,000 square feet was vacant Wed.
    Good for them! The only downside is many of them are contract workers, and unlike those at USPS and GM they probably won't be paid for the work they miss. This past Tuesday I actually had to "donate" some of the sand I carry in my vehcile to an Amazon delivery driver. He was stuck on flat, ice covered ground in one of those Enterprise rental vans and couldn't move.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast