Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Brodhead Armory into a science center

Hello Detroit,
    I am an architecture student working on a project [[hypothetical) to transform the Brodhead Armory into a science center for the Great Lakes region. Any thoughts?

I approve, go ahead and get started tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    I approve, go ahead and get started tomorrow
    Why put off 'til tomorrow what you can do today?

When you make a lazy post expect sarcasm. What kind of science center do you envision? How would it differ from the Detroit Science Center? Why is it needed?

An interesting idea, but there is already a Science Center in Detroit. How about an aquarium? It's right on the water, and an add-on building in back could open with a view onto the river.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    An interesting idea, but there is already a Science Center in Detroit. How about an aquarium? It's right on the water, and an add-on building in back could open with a view onto the river.
    The Broadhead Armory is too small for an aquarium, relative to the size that they are being built today. I don't know if it could structurally be possible. Water is heavy.

There is a National Museum of the Great Lakes in Toledo, but that seems to be more geared toward history not science. The Broadhead Armory would seem like a great spot for a Great Lakes-centered science center, but obviously you need a vision, diligence, and lots of funding. A year or two ago, the Zoo announced that they were going to build some kind of Great Lakes aquatic center in Macomb County.

If the Armory was transformed into a science center, how do you think it would be received?

what ever happened to all the beautiful interior woodwork that was removed/stolen? did some budding preservationist get it before scrappers and plan to return it for reuse ala Michigan Central Station? somehow i doubt it

http://www.detroiturbex.com/content/...ead/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMcAbee View Post
    If the Armory was transformed into a science center, how do you think it would be received?
    I think there would be some confusion, as there is already a science center that almost closed down permanently due to lack of funding. Come to think of it, there's also Cranbrook which, though small, is another science center. Do you think that the region could support three science centers?

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    There is a National Museum of the Great Lakes in Toledo, but that seems to be more geared toward history not science. The Broadhead Armory would seem like a great spot for a Great Lakes-centered science center, but obviously you need a vision, diligence, and lots of funding.
    I was thinking the same thing, but don't they already have something similar at that DNR complex?

Not a science center but an all-encompassing Great Lakes Museum is literally a [[solid) stone's throw away:

https://detroithistorical.org/dossin...al-information

So you must not only raise the capital and make it sustainable, but I imagine to be successful, distinguish yourself from the DNR Outdoor whatever, Michigan Science Center, and Dossin Great Lakes Museum.

You have a long road ahead of you.

^^^ Thank you for mentioning the Dossin Great Lakes Museum at Belle Isle. Awesome gem holding forth there!

I think you need to take a look at what Detroit lacks before determining what to do with the space. We have a science museum, but our Children's Museum is quite small and we don't currently have a natural history museum.

I do like the idea of an institution anchoring that end of Gabriel Richard Park but we already have a science center that has struggled at times.

Great thinking, but yea, the Detroit Science Center is already there. I really think it would be great to see it turned into a restaurant/events center for weddings, parties, etc. I don't know the size to be honest, but it's in a perfect location.

As a former student of architecture in Detroit - I implore you to show your professor every response you've received on this thread and ask them to stop giving you all these silly studio assignments for 'activating' abandoned Detroit buildings. Tell them to give you an assignment that will actually help teach you to be an architect one day. I can't begin to tell you how many buildings I hypothetically reprogammed for some arbitrary purpose in architecture school.

Quote Originally Posted by gpp1004 View Post
    As a former student of architecture in Detroit - I implore you to show your professor every response you've received on this thread and ask them to stop giving you all these silly studio assignments for 'activating' abandoned Detroit buildings. Tell them to give you an assignment that will actually help teach you to be an architect one day. I can't begin to tell you how many buildings I hypothetically reprogammed for some arbitrary purpose in architecture school.
    LTU by chance? Haha I still remember to this day how I laughed a fellow classmate down during a presentation because their project proposal - in all seriousness - was to redevelop the Ford Auditorium into a WalMart. I remember it so clearly because I would never openly laugh at someone like that today but at the same time I still find it utterly ridiculous and completely insensitive to everything sacred in architecture and urban planning....

Quote Originally Posted by ParisianLesion View Post
    LTU by chance? Haha I still remember to this day how I laughed a fellow classmate down during a presentation because their project proposal - in all seriousness - was to redevelop the Ford Auditorium into a WalMart. I remember it so clearly because I would never openly laugh at someone like that today but at the same time I still find it utterly ridiculous and completely insensitive to everything sacred in architecture and urban planning....
    What a jerk. Everyone knows it should have been an Urban Target.

Quote Originally Posted by ParisianLesion View Post
    The other Detroit one

For the many of you who have never been inside the Armory, it is a very odd building. There is an enormous drill hall at the front, and a very odd labyrinth of several stories of rooms in the back. Although the place has been ransacked... the 1930s WPA artwork still survives [[at least it did). Some very fine wood carved walls and staircases, and a series of 1930s Naval murals [[must have been where "don't ask, don't tell" originated).

This building is much larger on the inside than it appears on the outside.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Although the place has been ransacked... the 1930s WPA artwork still survives [[at least it did). Some very fine wood carved walls and staircases, and a series of 1930s Naval murals [[must have been where "don't ask, don't tell" originated).
    Sadly, many of the fine wood bits are long gone:
    http://www.detroiturbex.com/content/...ead/index.html

I wish an organization like the YMCA would develop it into a Y. Any community that can maintain an indoor gym and locker room area in such a building would have a great asset on their hands. I would love to see a residential tower built on the back end where the residents along with the public could use the gym. That's what I'd do with it.