Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default -3 degrees Wednesday for a high.

As if I didn't have enough car battery problems, and having to go outside for a smoke, now this.

I used to like winter with snowmobiles and ice fishing, now it's just a pain in the butt.

Pushing 70 with sunny skies in Henderson, Nevada today. And people said I was nuts to move there. Got some yard work done today.

Not looking forward to it at all. I'll be hunkering down for sure. Hope it's not as bad as the one we had about 7 years ago. That went on for days.

I’ve sworn this will be the last winter for the last 18 years

Wunderground is predicting bus stop temperatures of -3 on Wednesday and -10 on Thursday, -7 Friday AIR temperature, not wind chill. Wednesday and Thursday have wind in addition to the cold air temps.

I predict most schools will close Monday for snow, and Wednesday and Thursday for cold, if the forecast stays the same.

Whoa. I don't live in the Midwest, but was just looking up some forecasts in the region. Chicago is looking at an overnight low of -24 and a high of -14 on Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by Luke09 View Post
    Whoa. I don't live in the Midwest, but was just looking up some forecasts in the region. Chicago is looking at an overnight low of -24 and a high of -14 on Wednesday
    But is that windchill or other ? Cold is cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Pushing 70 with sunny skies in Henderson, Nevada today. And people said I was nuts to move there. Got some yard work done today.
    yard work? like raking around the colored gravel that passes for a lawn? just kidding..enjoy your 70's. certainly will be envious when the heat bill comes. where i'm at we're due for 9-14" snow overnight and -50's windchill come wednesday.
    Last edited by hybridy; January-27-19 at 09:09 PM.

Actual temps

I know of two cases just recently of indoor water pipes bursting from the cold.

They say if you have plumbing against a cold wall, open a cupboard door [[if possible) to let some warm air in there. Or I guess a radiant heater might help too.

Floods are no fun.

Any other advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Any other advice?
    Run the water [[cold and hot) here and there for a couple minutes to get the cold water out of the pipes.

Some will leave the water on a slow drip, but you can get a frozen drain that way. I've had frozen drain issues before so I don't do the drip-method.

I just let the water run for a few minutes before I go to bed and then again when I get home.

I knew a guy who trained for the U.S. Army in Alaska. He liked his whisky. They warned him not to stick his flask in a snowdrift but instead wear it on his body.

The reason was that it gets so cold there that the whisky's temperature would drop below 32ºF but it stays liquid because it's like antifreeze.

Drinking it would freeze any tissue it contacted on the way down, killing you!

I don't know if that's true but that's what he told me.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    ... I've had frozen drain issues before so I don't do the drip-method....
    That reminds me of the time when my car was buried in over a foot of snow in super cold conditions.

I had an emergency so I thought it would be clever to start the car and turn the heater/defroster on high to let the car unbury itself while I dealt with the emergency.

When I returned to the car, the door wouldn't open. I had to force it to the point of bending the sheetmetal. It broke my heart to do that but it was an emergency! I had no choice! That door remains wonky to this day.

Later I learned the car was designed to drain the melted water into the door hinge area where it promptly refroze into a stalagmite of ice, preventing the door from opening. Argh!

In retrospect it would have been better to sacrifice the passenger door instead but in an emergency you're not thinking of the future.

Just a precautionary tale for other forumers.

Name:  FB_IMG_1548648639594.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  91.0 KB

Above is a list of shelters and warming centers as suggested by the city. If you see someone struggling on the streets this week, please stop and make a phone call to get them help. It could literally save their life.

Thank you posting this DS. I plan to print and post. This killing weather is beyond inconvenience for our fellow Detroiter's who are without shelter.

I hear that. What model car? Many years ago I had a Toyota Tercel years ago that did that.

Fix was going into the house to get a plastic bottle and squeeze pour almost hot water down into the door jam and opening. Bingo door opened.

Goodness winter is a drag! And at this point deadly!

When I returned to the car, the door wouldn't open. I had to force it to the point of bending the sheetmetal. It broke my heart to do that but it was an emergency! I had no choice! That door remains wonky to this day.

That sounds like quite a ghastly way to go! Goodness!

I knew a guy who trained for the U.S. Army in Alaska. He liked his whisky. They warned him not to stick his flask in a snowdrift but instead wear it on his body.

The reason was that it gets so cold there that the whisky's temperature would drop below 32ºF but it stays liquid because it's like antifreeze.

Drinking it would freeze any tissue it contacted on the way down, killing you!

I don't know if that's true but that's what he told me.

Along with their typical wind factor. Goodness, Michi's better compared to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke09 View Post

Who said winter starts in November and December? Those above normal temps we had, are a distant memory. I've always known the real winter is in January and February and sometimes in March !!

Lots of closings today including Detroit Public Schools, Henry Ford College, etc. The mighty WSU is open [[nothing closes it!). College for Creative Studies and Wayne County are open too. They may close early today. What a fun winter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Who said winter starts in November and December? Those above normal temps we had, are a distant memory. I've always known the real winter is in January and February and sometimes in March !!
    Well I think we all know it dont start till the end of Dec. Nov is mid Autumn

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Very true. It snowed all night in the early morning hours of 3/21/96, and we were hit with about 8 inches. I remember because I gave birth that day. It was slow going to the hospital that day to say the least.
    Last edited by Maof; January-28-19 at 11:44 AM.

When there isn't any wind, I actually like this weather. I don't view it any different than August's 95 degree weather with 80% humidity. Neither stick around for long, and it's all part of being a 'gander. Teal skies at sunset, crunchy snow, chimney exhaust, the smell of my neighbor's wood burning stove, animal tracks, and not a mosquito in sight...all part of the 4 season trip. You won't hear the snow skiers or ice fishermen complain...that 50 degree early January thaw ruined all the fun. Also a lot of people depend on snow plowing overtime income...trust me, I was one of them.

I absolutely detest winter at this near emergency level. But life goes on, you soldier on. And the blue skies have helped as vitamin D levels drop due to the lack of light in general. I could do without the extremes of 95 or 7 degrees!

The cold is deadly now if you'e exposed - and it's hard on buildings and infrastructure. Animals die as they are not often considered by careless owners. Transportation's been impacted. We're having accidents all over though I have little trouble driving in snow, but I'm seeing spin-outs, and black ice can put the best driver into an serious accident.

Education and business have been heavily impacted the last two weeks. We have today for example 700+ K12 schools and several colleges closed and several business effected too. Indeed the car repair, car collision, snow removal, tow and plumbing companies are doing great.

The lack of wind is good. Considering our wind chills are already below zero. I'm 'thinking spring' and growing things once again and an end to brittle cold in your face, drying your skin. I rarely complain about hot days in Michigan. Our summers go fast. IMO Michigan winters are longer - the cold dragging on...
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-29-19 at 12:42 AM.

And so it begins. Fine snow has started falling from the east--always the sign of a big storm in Metro D. Nice of Mother Nature to allow us to get in the last winter auto show before slamming us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast