Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

^^^ Yes, let the games begin. Brrr... I volunteered at the Autoshow - one of the exhibitions. Attendance was down. Educators Day Wednesday was cancelled, and that was a real drag ending a long tradition of K12 school students bussed in from across the state tied to specialty educational events, activities, poster contests, etc. With the show now in mid-June school is all but over.

I have to give Lyft hats off for great, affordable service. I decided not to drive and deal with parking, using Lyft instead. Service was fast and efficient and a two-dollars off special. A great convenience for such in this weather!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-28-19 at 11:36 AM.

It's all relative to where you live and what you're used to. I've been in South Florida for 30 years since leaving Detroit, and when you get used to the heat and humidity, you feel a big drop. It'll be in the 50's tonight, and I'll have the space heater on.

Governor Declares State Of Emergency For Michigan With Arctic Temps Expected

https://www.wxyz.com/news/governor-w...c-temperatures

https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com/artic...gency-michigan
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-29-19 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I know of two cases just recently of indoor water pipes bursting from the cold.

They say if you have plumbing against a cold wall, open a cupboard door [[if possible) to let some warm air in there. Or I guess a radiant heater might help too.

Floods are no fun.

Any other advice?
    turn on a bare light bulb. Treble light or something. incandescents produce alot of heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Lots of closings today including Detroit Public Schools, Henry Ford College, etc. The mighty WSU is open [[nothing closes it!). College for Creative Studies and Wayne County are open too. They may close early today. What a fun winter!!!
    I went to public schools my entire life. I never can remember schools closing for cold back in the day, they closed for snow if we had a lot. Never heard about wind chill back then either.

^^^ Yes, I was child of the seventies so I remember snow up to storm door 8+ inches and on we went. Walking to grade school etc. Hot chocolate waiting at the grade schools. School seemed to never - ever close.

Difference mainly now is that home-to-school's less walkable. Spread out, not often down the street anymore. Parents must drive kids - roads are hazardous, teens going to high schools have to ride public busses not running well. And the factor of wind-chill danger is more understood. Including kids already presenting with respiratory issues, diagnosed or not.

The roads and freeways for sure are more congested than before.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-29-19 at 11:30 AM.

Greetings from St. Petersburg, FL. Can't decide if I will drive to the beach with the sunroof open or closed.
    Last edited by Pat001; January-29-19 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Lots of closings today including Detroit Public Schools, Henry Ford College, etc. The mighty WSU is open [[nothing closes it!). College for Creative Studies and Wayne County are open too. They may close early today. What a fun winter!!!
    WSU announced yesterday they will be closed from 4 pm today until Thursday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    Greetings from St. Petersburg, FL. Can't decide if I will drive to the beach with the sunroof open or closed.

not funny

-4° right now. My nose snapped shut when I hit the air this morning.

You know it’s cold when the boogs freeze

Let's see, even though I've been running my car for 20 minutes every ten hours the past few days, this morning a door latch broke, the windows are frozen shut, the battery's dead, and the hood latch is frozen shut.

Good thing I'm retired and stocked up with food. Can't wait for Sunday!

Oh- battery, alternator, and pulley system just replaced a few months ago.
    Last edited by Bigb23; January-30-19 at 08:38 AM.

U.S. Postal Service suspends mail delivery in Detroit, around Michigan
    ... USPS halted deliveries in cities with the beginning three digit zips codes 486 through 469, 472 through 475, 478 and 479. Deliveries were also suspended in Detroit area zip codes beginning 480 through 485 and 492....
    You know it's bad when it stops the mail.

Edit: Now I hear they're extending this suspension to tomorrow as well.

I'm not hearing any traffic on the local police/fire radio channels I normally monitor. That might be a good thing. The governor's asking people to stay off the roads not only for their own safety but for the safety of first responders. But still, WTF with no radio traffic?
    Last edited by Jimaz; January-30-19 at 10:36 AM.

Okay, I just now heard a call from local fire. That proves the radio's working.

Another one:

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...oits-west-side

Stay safe everybody.

So Detroit has heated bus stops, for that mass transit wonderfulness ?

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/0...ansit-shelters

In related news, a Consumer's Energy natural gas pumping and storage station exploded today. They are asking people to use less natural gas, which is an odd request on this particular day.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ty/2721353002/

And the possibility of highs in the low to mid 50's this Monday. That's going to make a mess!

Frozen pipes in crawl space. No burst pipes or leaks yet but we’ll have to wait and see after the thaw

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Let's see, even though I've been running my car for 20 minutes every ten hours the past few days, this morning a door latch broke, the windows are frozen shut, the battery's dead, and the hood latch is frozen shut.

Good thing I'm retired and stocked up with food. Can't wait for Sunday!

Oh- battery, alternator, and pulley system just replaced a few months ago.
    Even though Chrysler/Mercedes knew of the problem at the factory they chose to look the other way. $1200 out of your pocket for a new harness. Again I will say this is my first and last​ Chrysler out of 27 cars in my lifetime.
    Last edited by Bigb23; February-02-19 at 09:30 AM.

There was a burst water pipe flood in the Kresge Library at Oakland University. It was from the fire suppression sprinkler system. Systems designed to avert one disaster cause another. Doh!

I once noticed a sprinkler system in a garage with the pipes exposed to the outside air. I asked why those pipes don't burst from the cold. I was told they charge them with compressed air which won't freeze. If there's ever a fire, the sprinklers pop open then the air rushes out followed by the water.

There are clever species on this planet, but not at O.U.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2