Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Glenn Beck visiting Michigan.

Regardless of whether you are a Beck-fan, or someone who is anti-Beck, this is an opportunity to either prop him up, or to slap him silly .....

http://www.michamber.com/mx/futureforum

No need to prop him up. The news media already has.
    No need to slap him down. He is simply a person who has enjoyed financial success by pushing a flawed agenda.
    I wish him health and wellness. Wish he would offer the same to those more unfortunate than himself.
    There are certainly more informed and important people to discuss here, on both sides of issues.

Hmmm... What if the crowd just shouted, as the crowds his like endorse at the town hall meetings?

Major advertisers are fleeing his show faster than residents are fleeing Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Major advertisers are fleeing his show faster than residents are fleeing Detroit.
    Yet, his shows ratings are skyrocketing.

That's right, folks. Keep up your "boycott".

It's doing wonders to keep people from watching his program!

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    His shows maybe, but not the Fox network, his advertisers are just repositioning there spots from his show to other Fox shows. That way they can tell Glenn take a week off wait till this dies down.

The conservative media loves this guy, he is the first real competition Rush has had in years. The problem we get with him is that people will forget he's just an entertainer and feel he really knows what he's talking about and that will give comfort and encouragement to the wannabe Tim McVeighs out there.

Will everyone show up at the Kellogg Center openly strapped? "They’re Grrrreat!"
    Last edited by vetalalumni; August-31-09 at 12:22 PM. Reason: edit

Who is Glenn Beck? Is he another that some need to think for them because they themselves are incapable of thinking ?

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    Who is Glenn Beck? Is he another that some need to think for them because they themselves are incapable of thinking ?

Who is Barack Obama? Is he another that some need to "get theirs" because they are unwilling to do for themselves?

Sorry kiddo, he was elected to do a job.

so was george bush......

...and now we deal with his legacy.

I don't know if I'm more saddened by Fox News' #2 rating among all cable networks in prime time hours, or Beck's #2 rating among all Fox News personalities.

People must love shitty news broadcasts to go with their shitty reality TV shows.

I'm sensing ratings envy here.

Is your talking head show not getting enough viewers?

Take a wild guess about why that is?

Quote Originally Posted by humanmachinery View Post
    I don't know if I'm more saddened by Fox News' #2 rating among all cable networks in prime time hours, or Beck's #2 rating among all Fox News personalities.

People must love shitty news broadcasts to go with their shitty reality TV shows.
    Sad, but not surprising. The purpose of TV is to entertain.. not to educate or to enlighten. If you happen to get the latter two out of it this then god bless you

It takes to much time and effort to educate yourself, its much better when you have somebody rant and feed the ignorance, misrepresent facts and tell you how you should think

Quote Originally Posted by MCP-001 View Post

More people read the New York Times and Washington Post than watch Glenn Beck. What's your point?

It doesn't change the fact that Glenn Beck is a whining crybaby.

I don't have a favorite news program.

Practically all TV news is bad, though Beck is an exceptional case. I give him roughly the same level of credibility as Ward Churchill or Michael Moore, except Beck's audience [[angry old white men) are easier to appeal to with television. He feeds upon the fears of people who already have the money and power to sit around and watch TV at night, but are terrified of losing it to someone *else*.

So now I'm left with few options. Rachel Maddow, Bill Moyers, and Jim Lehrer are at least competent, but hamstrung by low budgets and operating on networks where news reporting isn't a priority.

So too often I find myself watching Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert for information. It's sad that we've regressed to a medieval level of discourse, where only the court jesters can tell the truth.

Once upon a time, folks like Walter Cronkite, Eric Sevareid, and Walter Cronkite had the best ratings in journalism. They were also the best TV news anchors of their eras. It was something like The Beatles being the most creative band in the world and the most popular band in the world.

This is unlikely to ever happen again. It makes me sad.

I don't have a favorite news program.

Practically all TV news is bad, though Beck is an exceptional case. I give him roughly the same level of credibility as Ward Churchill or Michael Moore, except Beck's audience [[angry old white men) are easier to appeal to with television. He feeds upon the fears of people who already have the money and power to sit around and watch TV at night, but are terrified of losing it to someone *else*.

So now I'm left with few options. Rachel Maddow, Bill Moyers, and Jim Lehrer are at least competent, but hamstrung by low budgets and operating on networks where news reporting isn't a priority.

So too often I find myself watching Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert for information. It's sad that we've regressed to a medieval level of discourse, where only the court jesters can tell the truth.

Once upon a time, folks like Walter Cronkite, Eric Sevareid, and Walter Cronkite had the best ratings in journalism. They were also the best TV news anchors of their eras. It was something like The Beatles being the most creative band in the world and the most popular band in the world.

This is unlikely to ever happen again. It makes me sad.
    Do anyone notice how I referred to them as talking head shows and not as news?

You're right, this isn't MacNeil Leher, BBC or Sky News.

"Goodnight, Chet." and "Goodnight, David" are no longer staples on American Television any longer.

What passes for news nowadays can best be described as infotainment, rather than purely information or entertainment.

Just be sure to get your information from multiple sources and double-check what is being reported.

Do anyone notice how I referred to them as talking head shows and not as news?

You're right, this isn't MacNeil Leher, BBC or Sky News.

"Goodnight, Chet." and "Goodnight, David" are no longer staples on American Television any longer.

What passes for news nowadays can best be described as infotainment, rather than purely information or entertainment.

Just be sure to get your information from multiple sources and double-check what is being reported.
    Does that mean you're voluntarily refraining from using Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and Bill O'Reilly and other right-wing infotainment as "sources"?

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Does that mean you're voluntarily refraining from using Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and Bill O'Reilly and other right-wing infotainment as "sources"?
    If you mean having a link to Rushlimbaugh.com, BillOReilly.com, or GlennBeck.com, I don't recall ever using them in the past.

ccbatson Guest

Ratings mean dollars to the network. They don't much care from whom the dollars come...and they should not [[care) if liberal advertisers drop off...well, maybe if caring means to celebrate.

booooooooooooo

Practically all TV news is bad, though Beck is an exceptional case. I give him roughly the same level of credibility as Ward Churchill or Michael Moore, except Beck's audience [[angry old white men) are easier to appeal to with television.

actually, Beck is strongest in the 25-54 age demographics, thats where he's typically seen the most growth in ratings....

so much for your angry old white men theory..... now you probably will claim its just angry white men, or better yet, just scream racism......

ccbatson Guest

I say let the libs believe Beck, and more importantly, the people with whose values he resonates, are an insignificant fringe.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Ratings mean dollars to the network. They don't much care from whom the dollars come...and they should not [[care) if liberal advertisers drop off...well, maybe if caring means to celebrate.
    And because all they care about is the almighty dollar, REAL NEWS and FACTS are of little importance, as long as the money flows in.

The fact that U.S. newscasts are more about ratings and less to do with reporting the stories and news is why most educated folks turn to outlets such as NPR, and the BBC.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast