Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Warren Mayor Fouts. WTF?

Any one know what became of those tapes of, supposedly, him using racial slurr and the like. I know there was a big to do the first time around. Like a year ago or so. Press was pressing him but to the best of my knowledge nothing ever became of it. Tried digging up some news and nothing was there. Then it comes up again recently and next to nothing was even said about it. Did he get exonerated of this? Was someone busted for faking a tape? Are there any leads? Its like some one is buring the story. Absolutely nothing I can find. In this day and age its almost beyond belief that this would not be more of a major deal. Was hoping "the forum" may be able to shed some light one what is going on with this story.
    Last edited by abraham; January-25-19 at 08:09 AM.

Basically he didn't break any laws. It's him on the tapes. He knows that if he just stays quiet his Fox News watching senior citizens will either believe he didn't say those things, or like that he said those thinks. Some will fondly remember the "old times" when people weren't so politically correct that you couldn't hate gay people, call black people orangutans, and lock 'retards' up in cages.

I have no doubt all of this information is true. Mayor Fouts once screamed homophobic slurs at my wife and I at a charity dinner.

Fouts is nearly as bad as Trump, just a smaller scale.

Just seems the way things are these days this would make national news and the cavalry would be rolling in to have his job before a court date. One girl can cause this with an accusation without a tape or anything. Its like he's above the law.

So Fouts is a throwback to the good ol' times, committed a faux pas.
    The residents move on, call him a an old F%$k, and business continues.
    Does anyone really think a ""younger"" mayor won't screw up, ever ?
    The roads get plowed, trash gets picked up, and the city functions.

Everyone screws up. I dont care how old or young the guy is. Im just wondering, in the world we live in now a day, its unusual for something like this to come up and just get swept under the rug. Are you suggesting its alright because the city functions? Just seems like if anyone else had this happen they would be crucified. I dont personally care what he says, I'm more curious on why he dont get slammed when others loose their job over less.

I bet you this will make him more popular among his base. They'll say he "tells it like it us" and "speaks his mind". No stupid political correctness, right?

As an aside, suburban governments are often the most incompetent, incestuous, ass-backwards entities in existence. Detroit govt. always gets a bad rap [[Hmm, can't imagine why) but try and deal with bureaucrats in some random outer suburb. It's like an episode of Hee Haw.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    One girl can cause this with an accusation without a tape or anything.
    Yeah, because rape victims typically have their assaults taped for posterity.

Audio recording reveals Warren mayor Fouts calling disabled child a 'mongoloid'

Consultant: Fouts called Kwame Kilpatrick an 'N-word'

Warren Mayor Jim Fouts denies he used gay slur on audio recording

And on and on and on and on...

The double-standards, here, are astounding. Any Detroit mayor past or present would have said something like this and they'd have either resigned, lost mayoral primary or been recalled by now. Fouts has been doing this sh%t for years. This is not even speak of his relationship with that city hall employee.

At this point, all his supporters have left is the Mussolini "At least he makes the trains run on type" excuse. Like, don't care as if personal integrity matters, anymore, for anyone if you're going to pretend that there isn't someone else in the city that could get the same results - and really, Warren is doing decently, not great - with none of the bullshit to have to wade through to get to them.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    The roads get plowed, trash gets picked up, and the city functions.
    The roads aren't the only thing you're paying to get plowed.

All I can figure is Fouts is merely a representation of the constituency he serves, given they keep reelecting him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post

The double-standards, here, are astounding. Any Detroit mayor past or present would have said something like this and they'd have either resigned, lost mayoral primary or been recalled by now. Fouts has been doing this sh%t for years. This is not even speak of his relationship with that city hall employee.

At this point, all his supporters have left is the Mussolini "At least he makes the trains run on type" excuse. Like, don't care as if personal integrity matters, anymore, for anyone if you're going to pretend that there isn't someone else in the city that could get the same results - and really, Warren is doing decently, not great - with none of the bullshit to have to wade through to get to them.
    Well, first, I think the substantive difference is that in, say, Kwame's case, he was guilty of criminal activity. I wouldn't doubt that Fouts is, but they just haven't found it yet.

Secondly, Warren is not place that is significant for virtually any reason. It has been in decline for decades, has a violent crime rate 43% higher than the national average, failing schools, a higher poverty rate than the national average, and lower education and income rates than the national average. There is absolutely nothing pointing to a strong present or future for Warren, something I do not relish. But it is a backwater and few people care what happens there - many of the people who live there either don't care what the mayor does or don't have the social capital to do anything about it.

Warren is also one of the oldest [[in terms of age of residents) municipalities in the U.S. This is also a harbinger of demographic doom in addition to I think why the assessment of probably some of the most active voters in Warren [[elderly, uneducated whites) are probably quite enjoying Fouts.

No need to feel bullish about Warren or understand Fouts. He'll get reelected till he dies, doesn't [[and someone equally silly takes his place), or gets convicted. Meanwhile Warren will circle the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Yeah, because rape victims typically have their assaults taped for posterity.
    ofcourse they dont. but still. Are you really being serious here or just chimming in with a dig for no reason. I was just trying to point out how things are now with stuff like this. Rape, sexual abuse, racisim, etc... Sorry if I am not totally complete with my list. I was just making an example. I believe you knew what I meant in the first place. Its an accusation without any evidence vs an accusation with a whole lot of evidence or something. Tough to talk to some of you guys here. Theres like a negative attitude against most posts. Mine or otherwise. Its a shame really. Sorry I even tried to participate in the forum to be honest.

The demise of Warren can be discussed due to all of its' problems, but its population appears to have stabilized....

Year Population Growth Annual Growth Rate
    2017 135,022 -8 -0.01%
    2016 135,030 -167 -0.12%
    2015 135,197 -231 -0.17%
    2014 135,428 350 0.26%
    2013 135,078 660 0.49%
    2012 134,418 358 0.27%
    2011 134,060 0.00%
    2010 134,060 -4,187 -0.31%

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post

My point exactly. Very odd indeed.

Nothing illegal but its racist and against most of what I see people willing to oblige these days. Like what was more eloquently stated in post #8. Although its not just mi mayors, its news anchors, sports stars, singers, actors. Everyone except Fouts it seems. Which is why I am so curious about the lack of news on the subject.
    Last edited by abraham; January-25-19 at 11:58 AM.

Whatever Mayor Fouts faults.... he's small potatoes compared to the Warren City Council President Cecil St. Pierre... check it out.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=dT5...60.pRYSVuD5lI8

When were politicians supposed to be heroes, role models, etc., etc ?
    They are just like anyone else you meet in everyday life, ordinary .
    ""Other choices"" for mayor are not without their own faults.
    Religious leaders piddle little kids, judges have odd court outcomes, etc.
    Last edited by O3H; January-25-19 at 02:10 PM.

As long as he's doing his job and good at it. Quit being hurt by name calling. Everyone's got opinions too. You don't have to like them.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    As long as he's doing his job and good at it.
    You're cool with a politician being a virulent bigot "as long as he's doing his job"? Isn't part of "his job" serving his constituents [[many of whom happen to be women, minorities, handicapped, gay, etc.?)

Hitler was cool given he got the German economy humming and the trains ran on time? And this doesn't even make sense, as Warren is in a deep downward spiral.

Who the hell wants to live in Warren these days unless you have no other options? Between the declining schools and neighborhoods, high taxes, aging infrastructure, poor services and creeping blight, what's not to like? Bonus points for zero sense of place, and utter dependence on GM Tech.
    Last edited by Bham1982; January-25-19 at 02:26 PM.

One more data point: Fouts ran on an anti-corruption platform his first term and, when elected, booted out a bunch of Steenberg's people. He also called out a bunch of other politicians in Macomb government that are now under indictment, or in jail. This tends to garner enemies.

It's entirely possible [[probable even) that Fouts is an awful person, and as corrupt as the last mayor, but, at least, some of the negative press coming out about him is being driven by his political enemies, whom probably aren't any better.

You're cool with a politician being a virulent bigot "as long as he's doing his job"? Isn't part of "his job" serving his constituents [[many of whom happen to be women, minorities, handicapped, gay, etc.?)
    I don't know much about Fouts and I've never lived in Warren; but, is he or is he not serving his constituents? What if he is, as you say, a "virulent bigot," yet ably represents the citizens of Warren without allowing his personal opinions to affect his policies? Have we entered the domain of the thought police? Many people have opinions or political beliefs that may be offensive to their employers, fellow employees, or in this case, constituents. Should they be subject to societal discipline if their personal opinions do not influence their job performance. At least a couple of well-regarded presidents would have been kicked out for their philandering ways.

Quote Originally Posted by LongGone06 View Post
    I don't know much about Fouts and I've never lived in Warren; but, is he or is he not serving his constituents? What if he is, as you say, a "virulent bigot," yet ably represents the citizens of Warren without allowing his personal opinions to affect his policies?
    I suppose, yes, it's possible that he could serve his constituents well while simultaneously believing they're subhuman. In any case, I don't think it's asking too much to have a long-serving mayor of a diverse major city demonstrate slightly better discourse than a Klansman.

Quote Originally Posted by LongGone06 View Post
    Should they be subject to societal discipline if their personal opinions do not influence their job performance.
    Yes, absolutely. If someone in my place of work came in spouting racist idiocy, while simultaneously "doing his job", there would be severe consequences, as there should be. Basic civility and respect for others is generally a workplace expectation, and firms are potentially breaking a litany of federal equal opportunity laws if they don't regulate such behavior.

Hitler was cool given he got the German economy humming and the trains ran on time? And this doesn't even make sense, as Warren is in a deep downward spiral.

Who the hell wants to live in Warren these days unless you have no other options? Between the declining schools and neighborhoods, high taxes, aging infrastructure, poor services and creeping blight, what's not to like? Bonus points for zero sense of place, and utter dependence on GM Tech.
    You were doing so well but then you just couldn't resist your usual exaggerations and taking a shot at a non-Birmingham community. Unfortunately, it makes your talk of "basic civility and respect" ring hollow and no better than Fouts himself.
    Last edited by Towne Cluber; January-25-19 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    ...You were doing so well but then you just couldn't resist taking a shot at a non-Birmingham community
    I take shots at Birmingham all the time, in case you haven't noticed.

The point is that Warren isn't doing well, but the excuse is "he can say racist crap as long as Warren is doing well".

I take shots at Birmingham all the time, in case you haven't noticed.
    Rest assured, I've noticed a lot about your act on here. By the way, you take shots at "outsiders" visiting Downtown Birmingham, which isn't the same thing.
    Last edited by Towne Cluber; January-25-19 at 03:19 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast