Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Black Bottom Photo. Exhibit at Detroit Public Library

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...ew/2659511002/

In the stunning new exhibition “Black Bottom Street View,” art and history intersect to bring the neighborhood of Black Bottom back to life.Now on display through March 15 at the Detroit Public Library’s Strohm Hall, the exhibition finds its heart by visually evoking the look and feel of Black Bottom — a once-thriving African-American enclave just east of downtown.

I want to see this. I like the way the photographs have been up.

I saw this show last weekend and it was fascinating. Like walking into an entire lost world. I barely remember the last pieces of this neighborhood [[and anyone younger than my old man self wouldn't remember it at all). But I remember the fading bits of the similar neighborhood just to the north of it across Vernor, which is now almost gone too. Amazing to see it, even in black and white, as a functioning neighborhood. A poor and isolated place to be sure, but also a living and breathing one.

My great-grandparents lived in the area, on E. Fort St., around the turn of the 20th century, so there was some personal interest for me as well. Anyway, it's well worth a few minutes of your time if you're interested in Detroit architectural and social history.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; February-05-19 at 11:44 PM.