Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Auto show to go on after massive Detroit water main break forces boil water advisory

Auto show to go on after massive Detroit water main break forces boil water advisory
    A 42-inch water main break late around 11 p.m. Saturday has forced a boil water advisory for downtown Detroit.

Residents and businesses in the area bounded by the John C. Lodge Service Drive on the west, Mount Elliott on the east, Interstate 75 on the north and Detroit River on the south are affected.

People should use boiled or bottled water for drinking, brushing teeth and washing dishes, the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department said.

Gary Brown, director of the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department, said Sunday morning that the water boil advisory will likely be in effect until Thursday....

Detroit auto show organizers were notified early Sunday about the water main break, confirmed Amanda Niswonger, spokeswoman for the show. The break comes on the eve of North American International Auto Show's Media Days, which draws auto executives and more than 5,000 journalists from around the world.

“Cobo Center and the NAIAS are fully aware of the boil water advisory and are taking the necessary precautions to ensure all attendees of the upcoming show have safe water to drink. We have shut off access to all drinking fountains and have hung signs in restrooms alerting caution,” Niswonger said. “Bottled water is available for drinking.”...
    Another good reason to move NAIAS to June.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Another good reason to move NAIAS to June.
    Water mains don't break in June?

Think harder - As the ground gets parched, it contracts and pulls away
    from the pipes encased within it. That's another possible cause
    of shifting pipes that lead to water main breaks - in the summer.

https://www.cudrc.com/news/water-main-breaks-become-common-occurrence-for-2014-summer/

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Or to fix our infrastructure.

My only thought was why would they even think about not going on cuz of a water main break. I could see if there was a fire there or an earthquake, but a water main break?

It isn't about people not going, it's having not having drinkable water in downtown Detroit during a period when thousands of out of town media and visitors are here

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    My only thought was why would they even think about not going on cuz of a water main break. I could see if there was a fire there or an earthquake, but a water main break?
    My thoughts too. Really?? People panic and want to make news out of anything now. Bring in some cases of water and deal with it. Already fixed anyways.
    It might snow sunday night-better cancel school now and start stocking up on groceries.

Exactaly, its not about people not going, why would they not go. We were talking about the show not going on. Again why whould it not. Drink a beer of have a soda if you must have something to drink while there. Wait, its going to snow and the auto show is going to go on anyway?

I'm volunteering at one of the exhibitions at this years NAIAS and I can tell you attendance IS down. The only European car displays are Volkswagon and eh, some other manufacturer? Not recalling. No BMW, Mercedes. Not this year. Toyota, Ford and Chrysler are tops this year. With a pretty impressive showing of Infinity left side southwest entrance of the main floor. The ultra cold is not stopping the die hards from coming but...

The lower level does not seem to have a display at all [[curtained off from what I could see). I recall years when the green car technology started, that whole area was abuzz with with greenery and electric cars and hands on displays. And lot of military vehicles were on display. Not this year.

Parking remains expensive. I took Lyft as transpo. Saved money doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I'm volunteering at one of the exhibitions at this years NAIAS and I can tell you attendance IS down. The only European car displays are Volkswagon and eh, some other manufacturer? Not recalling. No BMW, Mercedes. Not this year. Toyota, Ford and Chrysler are tops this year. With a pretty impressive showing of Infinity left side southwest entrance of the main floor. The ultra cold is not stopping the die hards from coming but...

The lower level does not seem to have a display at all [[curtained off from what I could see). I recall years when the green car technology started, that whole area was abuzz with with greenery and electric cars and hands on displays. And lot of military vehicles were on display. Not this year.

Parking remains expensive. I took Lyft as transpo. Saved money doing so.

Are you one of the models on one of the displays?!?! Which display?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; January-23-19 at 03:11 AM.

^^^ What? Infinity? Southwest side, left. Huge compared to last year.

Toyota retains its large area dead back of showroom slightly left. They have a huge tripped-out white and gold concept car angled out against the back wall. Woo-hoo!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-22-19 at 09:03 AM.

Are they serving snow cones to celebrate the last of the winter showings.
    C'mon shave ice with flavorings, perhaps some booze, would sell well

Today's is 'Educators Day' where K12 schools across the state bus in students for specialty events, lunch etc.

That's all bust as many schools districts are closed due to the weather.

There will be no further EDays at the level it was as going forward the show will be in June when school are wrapping up for the year.

Alfa Romeo has 4-6 cars on display.