Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Was the hotel check in desk always on the level it is now? Did you always have to come in and ride the elevator to the 3rd level to reach the actual lobby?
    Last time I stayed there was in '98 and the lobby was on the ground level.

I work in the building and my boss parks downstairs. It's assigned parking spaces down there and very close quarters. There are lots of support pillars, it makes for very nerve wracking driving.

Those circular ramps go to the parking garage below. One time I was in the garage and my boss told me to run up the ramps and take a peak. I found myself looking at the Marriott valet from through the slits in the walls.

I have no idea if these were ever used or what they were used for.

The parking below the ren cen is kind of "VIP" in that its more expensive and you get an assigned space. It takes you just as long if not longer to get to your car because of the maze of corridors you have to go through. I think they put office tenants down there that are willing to pay and also willing to wait for a space.
    Last edited by MrChrome; January-17-19 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChrome View Post
    I work in the building and my boss parks downstairs. It's assigned parking spaces down there and very close quarters. There are lots of support pillars, it makes for very nerve wracking driving.

Those circular ramps go to the parking garage below. One time I was in the garage and my boss told me to run up the ramps and take a peak. I found myself looking at the Marriott valet from through the slits in the walls.

I have no idea if these were ever used or what they were used for.
    Thank you for the follow up! That’s cool that they are actual ramps. Always interesting when the change a design and leave the existing infrastructure. Grab a pic next time!

if my memory serves limited valet parking was at the hotel entrance early on and the ramps were definitely open. A lot of changes happened over the years restricting easy access to areas like this especially after the 1993 World Trade Center garage bombing in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Amen to the last couple posts. Be cool to see pics of the lobby entrance or whatever that entrance used to be back then possibly showing the garage entrances and exits in operation. Or someone else who may have worked the parking lot.
    Was the hotel check in desk always on the level it is now? Did you always have to come in and ride the elevator to the 3rd level to reach the actual lobby?
    I once stayed in the old Westin many moons ago, so forgive me if my memory is a bit off... but from what I remember...

The area in question was hotel drop off/ pick up. The ramps you described were open and used for only valet parking. Both ramps spiraled down, and the pricing seemed very high for parking at the time.

As you entered the hotel from this drop off area, the front desk was basically a 180 slightly after waking in, with the front desk staff standing behind the desk having their backs to the drop off area described above. It was very congested and tight, but once you had your room key there was a sky bridge from the small lobby to the elevators core.

Prior to GM buying the RenCen, there was no circular loop skywalk. Also, about that same point Marriott became the hotel brand over Westin, and the new lobby was moved up a level to its current [[and much expanded) location. The original pool and fitness area was also eliminated at this time to make way for the big GM winter garden. The fitness area was moved into the hotel tower, but the pool was not replaced.

Again, the memory is foggy, so those in the know please correct me on any details I may have confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I once stayed in the old Westin many moons ago, so forgive me if my memory is a bit off... but from what I remember...

The area in question was hotel drop off/ pick up. The ramps you described were open and used for only valet parking. Both ramps spiraled down, and the pricing seemed very high for parking at the time.

As you entered the hotel from this drop off area, the front desk was basically a 180 slightly after waking in, with the front desk staff standing behind the desk having their backs to the drop off area described above. It was very congested and tight, but once you had your room key there was a sky bridge from the small lobby to the elevators core.

Prior to GM buying the RenCen, there was no circular loop skywalk. Also, about that same point Marriott became the hotel brand over Westin, and the new lobby was moved up a level to its current [[and much expanded) location. The original pool and fitness area was also eliminated at this time to make way for the big GM winter garden. The fitness area was moved into the hotel tower, but the pool was not replaced.

Again, the memory is foggy, so those in the know please correct me on any details I may have confused.
    Thanks! Still hoping someone comes in with pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    The area in question was hotel drop off/ pick up. The ramps you described were open and used for only valet parking.
    That's what I was thinking and probably why I was never down there. Valet access only, not public. I remember being in the main underground before it all got secured. That would have been either just before or just after the place first opened. At that time, there was almost no security and few fences or gates.

I remember the columns and narrow passages mentioned above. You could almost get lost down there if you weren't careful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2