Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ren Cen basement parking garage at the hotel entrance

Was there a parking garage with ramps at that entrance? There are driveways on each side that appear blocked off. Was it the original garage for the hotel?

It took me a minute to think about what you were asking. Are you talking about when coming from the west along Atwater, and instead of taking the curve around to the back of the building's wintergarden entrance, you just keep contiuing forward and see what looks like a parking attendants shed that's bollard off?

In any case, I don't believe the basement has ever been public parking. It's a service floor, the "bowels" of the center, if you will. I believe from the east this level is access by Franklin Street.
    Last edited by Dexlin; January-13-19 at 01:06 AM.

Back when it was new we would take rides around the city and one of the places we would drive thru with no problem at all was the below ground service drive at the rencen.

I don't imagine that would be possible today. ???

OP said it was blocked off [[at both ends to the public), which completely makes sense in these days, and google and bing streetviews confirm that.

Still not sure which side any of you are referring to. I don't remember any underground entrance off Jefferson. As I recall, The Gran Prix used to run under the Atwater side, but that big ugly green glass mess wasn't there. Looks like that whole side has been redone.

I remember driving all over there through ungated lots.

I believe OS might be talking about the area off of Renaissance Center Dr.? If so, I don't think there was a parking garage entrance there within the building itself. The only one I remember was off of St. Antoine. Of course, the area surrounding the RenCen is much different from when I worked there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    It took me a minute to think about what you were asking. Are you talking about when coming from the west along Atwater, and instead of taking the curve around to the back of the building's wintergarden entrance, you just keep contiuing forward and see what looks like a parking attendants shed that's bollard off?

In any case, I don't believe the basement has ever been public parking. It's a service floor, the "bowels" of the center, if you will. I believe from the east this level is access by Franklin Street.
    Not there but that booth has always been a curiosity as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Still not sure which side any of you are referring to. I don't remember any underground entrance off Jefferson. As I recall, The Gran Prix used to run under the Atwater side, but that big ugly green glass mess wasn't there. Looks like that whole side has been redone.

I remember driving all over there through ungated lots.
    I too remember driving through the “underpass” on the river side as a kid before the remodel. Not this area though.

The exact area I’m talking about is to the left and right of the pedestrian entrance to the Hotel. Appears to be a one lane in and one lane out. I’m thinking this could have been valet only-not for the general public. This is the entrance off Renaissance Drive. The area under the awning. The curb shape is what makes be believe theses were once driveways to the basement. They are blocked by a white wall with skinny windows?

I see it on google maps but having trouble posting it here. The "white wall with the skinny windows" that your talking about are on either side of the main entrance [[revolving door) to the hotel? I could be wrong but from what I remember, I don't think there was any type of entrance to a basement there.
    Last edited by Maof; January-13-19 at 06:52 PM.

These? No, no underground access there. Maybe delivery for larger displays for shows or conventions.

Name:  Nope.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  28.6 KB

Name:  Nope2.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  30.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    The exact area I’m talking about is to the left and right of the pedestrian entrance to the Hotel. Appears to be a one lane in and one lane out. I’m thinking this could have been valet only-not for the general public. This is the entrance off Renaissance Drive. The area under the awning. The curb shape is what makes be believe theses were once driveways to the basement. They are blocked by a white wall with skinny windows?
    Yeah, no, there was never a ramp or any such thing into the building for vehicles from street-level. This is simply drop-off area for the hotel.

Again, the only vehicle accesses to the basement service level are/were a ramp down from Atwater which bases under Renaissance Drive West on the west side of the complex, and Franklin Street on the east side of the complex as these sit below the Jefferson level of the complex.

Name:  Atwater E.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  Franklin.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  20.6 KB
    Last edited by Dexlin; January-13-19 at 08:29 PM.

These? No, no underground access there. Maybe delivery for larger displays for shows or conventions.

Exactly the spots I’m talking about. The curbs curve towards those blocked off spots. They have been blocked by new curbs but you can still make out the original shape-again like they used to be driveways.

Have they changed the entrance to the hotel since the late 90s/early 00s? This looks like the entrance to the Marriott the last time I went to the hotel, which was back then.

Do I remember seeing cars on display in the lobby area? That's probably the type of access point they would use to get them in and out.

There is no vehicular service access through the hotel access. What you see is what you get. It's a guest/visitor entrance and pretty clearly visibly noticeable as such. There are no bricked-over/paneled entryways being hidden from a previous configuration; folks are seeing things.

The complex is serviced through its basement service level accessed from Franklin; there is also be a street-level service entrance on the Beaubien side, too. You can see a FedEx truck, for instance, in the second picture I posted from Bing streetviews. You can also see the service vehicle access on Beaubien on the streetview which reads "No Public Parking."

But to be clear, there is no service access from Renaissance Drive West on the westside of the complex.
    Last edited by Dexlin; January-13-19 at 10:36 PM.

Before GM bought the center, there used to be an above ground drive that went 3/4 around the center. I remember that you could access the ramp to the upper level from Atwater [[where there was an upper and lower drive)... it went westward made a right turn to the front of the hotel [[although I don't recall an upper and lower drive area around that side nor the front facing Jefferson). But it was just at a higher level. Then it followed east on the Jefferson side, bridged over Beaubien, and then went down to street level again at Towers 500-600. Back then the berms along Jefferson hid the fact that you were at a higher level, with only the drive from Jefferson proper going uphill to the Jefferson entrance.

Gistok,

Some years ago I got lucky enough to see some old elevation drawings of the property from each of its sides. I even jotted down some elevation numbers I saved, and what you described is right [[street level drive around three sides [[north, west and south), elevated in back).

The main level [[called "street level") was based off of Jefferson and appears to have been consistent around the north, west, and south sides of the complex. Today, this is simply known as "Level 1."

Using this "street level" as the base, it was 14 feet higher than what was called the "hotel lobby level." As best as I can remember, this level was entered off Beaubien Street, but I'm not clear on this. Today, this is known as "Level A." This level is the level that the Beaubien and Atwater frontage is, and lower than the Jefferson and Renaissance Drive West level.

Nearly 12 feet below the "hotel lobby level" was the "service level." I believe the floor of this level would have been below ground level even in the back, but the ceiling would have definitely been slightly above ground level back there. Today, this is still the basement service area.

Finally, a bit over 8-and-a-half feet below that was the "service drive" level, which would have been Franklin Street on the east. This would have offered vehicle access to the service level basement. The configuration of that service drive once it went under the center, I have no idea. Today, it still looks like this drive is in use.

What I'm a bit unclear about is that I'm also having trouble recalling and visualizing is if there were any pedestrian accesses at the back of the complex either to the service level or the hotel lobby area. There was definitely access to the back along the elevated street/drive. But I can't recall if there was any access as back ground level along Atwater like there is today.
    Last edited by Dexlin; January-14-19 at 02:43 AM.

Not "seeing things". In the pics-the white panels with long narrow windows behind the two large planter pots. There is an identical feature at the other end of the hotel drop off driveway. They both have curbs shaped like they would funnel cars in and out. I don't believe this was ever a main garage for the hotel. Maybe just Valet? A service entrance wouldn't have two doors with curved driveways in my mind. I could be wrong but that's why I'm asking! Next time I'm there I will photograph the curb shape and entrance. Wonder if the building tour guide would know?

* * * UPDATE * * *
    This link has a diagram showing the ramps I'm talking about! Still wonder where and what they were for???
    http://www.averyreview.com/issues/is...ng-in-a-circle

Those show the original design - not all of which was actually built, obviously - and it shows some skybridges to the neighboring parking garages. I don't see where you are seeing "ramps."

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Those show the original design - not all of which was actually built, obviously - and it shows some skybridges to the neighboring parking garages. I don't see where you are seeing "ramps."
    First pic, top pic. Look where the hotel drop off driveway is. Even has arrows showing direction of travel on said ramp.

There was parking under the complex. My dad's office was in the 100 Tower when Ren Cen 1st opened and he parked under the building and took an elevator up a few levels and then transferred to the office elevators. Real goofy layout for a parking area with many, many columns to negotiate.

I believe the hotel also had parking underneath the complex.

I worked there for Westin from '78-'81 there was definitely hotel parking underground. It was not adequate, expensive, and mainly limited to room guests. Restaurant guests had to rely on street parking, lots, and a couple of structures in the nearby. Not convenient or friendly, which limited many Detroiters to a one and only visit. So much for the "Renaissance."

Amen to the last couple posts. Be cool to see pics of the lobby entrance or whatever that entrance used to be back then possibly showing the garage entrances and exits in operation. Or someone else who may have worked the parking lot.
    Was the hotel check in desk always on the level it is now? Did you always have to come in and ride the elevator to the 3rd level to reach the actual lobby?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast