Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Joe Louis Greenway

Leave the car at home - The 31.5-mile recreational pathway will connect neighborhoods across the city to Detroit’s waterfront and allow residents to travel safely from 8 Mile to the riverfront.

When will it be done? I'm looking forward to biking it if it is complete this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    When will it be done? I'm looking forward to biking it if it is complete this summer.
    Looks amazing. The website says they're still in the property acquisition and planning phase. Looks like it's going to be at least a couple years before its opened.

https://detroitgreenways.org/joe-louis-greenway/

I was surprised to find that there wasn't already a thread on this, here. It's been in development for years. The only big news was that a bit over a year ago that the project was renamed after Joe Louis. It had been known as the Inner Circle Greenway up until then.

They've been working best they can, but the last news in 2017 was some major property aquisitions and grants. 2018 was apparently a year for writing for more grant money. Here is the schedule:

https://detroitgreenways.org/joe-louis-greenway/

Design work is scheduled for this year with construction planned to start next year. An RFP supposedly went out in October, so maybe we'll be hearing something in the first quarter of this year at the latest.

There's a part of the Riverwalk on the eastside that has been completed but remained fenced off until September of this year. It's a bridge that connect east of Chene Park to the continuation of the riverwalk that began at Saint Antione. I know that it will wrap around a park that is being slowly contructed for the area but that part still could be utilized now even when the park is still in the planning phase. I had called the Greenway and asked them why they could not open the pathway that's already completed since it will not be in the way of the construction of the island but I had not gotten as response. I would love to see the part that go westward but the DEGC and the Riverwalk Conservancy had stalled too many times on this project especially since Faye Nelson had stepped down as head of the Greenway or Riverfront Conservancy. Under her each time a part of the riverwalk had been completed it would be opened immediately and a fence was installed on the part that was being under construction. This project may take many unnecessary years to complete under this leadership

I've been looking into the other greenways they have planned and am still confused by what they exactly are going to be. The greenway planned for Joseph Campau, between Jefferson and Grand Blvd, is there still going to be a road there? Or are they planning to replace it with the greenway? I found some plans for it online which makes it look like it will be entirely a greenway, but I haven't heard anything about removing an entire road.

Makes one wonder what a real FULL BLOWN concept
    of Bike and Bus might accomplish in metro Detroit .

https://detroitmi.gov/document/ddot-system-map

https://www.bridgemi.com/detroit-jou...-such-priority
    Last edited by O3H; January-12-19 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    I've been looking into the other greenways they have planned and am still confused by what they exactly are going to be. The greenway planned for Joseph Campau, between Jefferson and Grand Blvd, is there still going to be a road there? Or are they planning to replace it with the greenway? I found some plans for it online which makes it look like it will be entirely a greenway, but I haven't heard anything about removing an entire road.
    Jos Campau isn't a street from Jefferson to Vernor so I'm sure that part will remain greenway only. Same with the 2 blocks it doesn't run between Forest and Warren. As for the parts that are currently a street, I'm sure it will stay that way with greenway enhancements to sidewalks and added on-street bike lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    Jos Campau isn't a street from Jefferson to Vernor so I'm sure that part will remain greenway only. Same with the 2 blocks it doesn't run between Forest and Warren. As for the parts that are currently a street, I'm sure it will stay that way with greenway enhancements to sidewalks and added on-street bike lanes.
    Ok that's what I figured, the plans I was looking as must have been the Jefferson to Vernor section. Hopefully its more than just unprotected bikes lanes though.

Plans if anyone cares http://www.degc.org/wp-content/uploa...te-7.31.18.pdf
    Last edited by JonWylie; January-12-19 at 06:50 PM.