Autum Colors
AUTUMN COLORS ABLAZE »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 50 of 50
  1. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Danny speaks wisely. I fear that if the fans boycott Detroit teams, some of the franchises may seek a better location. For example, now that Las Vegas has an NHL team and the Oakland Raiders of the NFL are moving here soon as the current season ends, there are enterprises in Vegas seriously looking for an MLB team to join the Golden Knights and the Raiders. I'm sure other non-MLB cities are on that train.
    A "better" location? Detroit is one of the top 5 sports markets in the country. We are one of the few that closely follows it's college teams and pro teams. It's the 12th largest media market, and that ignores Windsor and Toledo. No matter how bad every team is currently, we have got nothing to worry about in terms of potentially losing teams to other markets.

  2. #27

    Default

    If Ford Field is to host any type of soccer, the seating needs to be re - vamped to allow sleeping in the stands.

  3. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    If Ford Field is to host any type of soccer, the seating needs to be re - vamped to allow sleeping in the stands.
    Lowell just has to add a "like" button on DY.

  4. #29

    Default

    I think it's cyclical. Look at the period between 1984 - 2008. That was a true golden age of sports here in this area. It was almost silly how many championships were won or that teams made appearances in, when you look at our pro and college ranks. Unfortunately it's been pretty barren the last decade which I guess we had coming, but hopefully the good times will return again. It'd be nice for my kids to experience the thrill of rooting for a local team to go all the way, something that I think many of us adults got to take for granted.

  5. #30

    Default

    WE HAVE THE POWER TO FIX THIS MESS!! BOYCOTT THE GAME TOMORROW!! WE MUST STOP ENABLING LOSERS!!


    WE HAVE LOST SO MUCH AND ARE TIRED OF LOSING!!


    DETROIT, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOSE ANYMORE, SAY SO WITH YOUR MONEY, YOUR TV, YOUR CLOTHING!!


    SAY NO TO THE LIONS CULTURE OF MEDIOCRITY!!


    JUST SAY NO!!!


    AND MEAN IT!!!


    YOU CAN DO IT!!!


    DO IT NOW!!!

    And set an example for all home teams to follow. When you lose too much, you lose support, money, and respect of the cities in which you play.

  6. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    WE HAVE THE POWER TO FIX THIS MESS!! BOYCOTT THE GAME TOMORROW!! WE MUST STOP ENABLING LOSERS!!


    WE HAVE LOST SO MUCH AND ARE TIRED OF LOSING!!


    DETROIT, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOSE ANYMORE, SAY SO WITH YOUR MONEY, YOUR TV, YOUR CLOTHING!!


    SAY NO TO THE LIONS CULTURE OF MEDIOCRITY!!


    JUST SAY NO!!!


    AND MEAN IT!!!


    YOU CAN DO IT!!!


    DO IT NOW!!!

    And set an example for all home teams to follow. When you lose too much, you lose support, money, and respect of the cities in which you play.
    Sure thing kid.

  7. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    WE HAVE THE POWER TO FIX THIS MESS!! BOYCOTT THE GAME TOMORROW!! WE MUST STOP ENABLING LOSERS!!


    WE HAVE LOST SO MUCH AND ARE TIRED OF LOSING!!


    DETROIT, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOSE ANYMORE, SAY SO WITH YOUR MONEY, YOUR TV, YOUR CLOTHING!!


    SAY NO TO THE LIONS CULTURE OF MEDIOCRITY!!


    JUST SAY NO!!!


    AND MEAN IT!!!


    YOU CAN DO IT!!!


    DO IT NOW!!!

    And set an example for all home teams to follow. When you lose too much, you lose support, money, and respect of the cities in which you play.

    1. Take your finger off the Caps Lock key.

    2. Put down the revolver.

    3. Take a deep breath.

    4. Repeat after me: "It's only a game....It's only a game."

  8. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickbak View Post
    1. Take your finger off the Caps Lock key.

    2. Put down the revolver.

    3. Take a deep breath.

    4. Repeat after me: "It's only a game....It's only a game."
    1. The Caps Lock is off

    2. No revolver here.

    3. Deep Breath is taken.

    4.Repeat after me: "We're tired of losing........We're tired of losing."

  9. #34

    Default

    Starting to think this last few years is the worst period I can remember for Detroit sports. I think the team that looks the most competitive some nights might be the Pistons and that’s not saying much, a lot of the time they look undisciplined to me. How is this group of underachievers supposed to win 40 games?

    As far as the Wings go, both goalies are like a sieve. I don’t see anybody who can put the puck in the net on a consistent basis. Also, I’m wondering when the honeymoon period ends for Yzerman. I know he didn’t pick Zadina, but that guy looks like a bust to me.

    Don’t want to talk about the Tigers or the Lions now, it’s all a little depressing. Starting to feel kind of hopeless, we deserve better - we’re good fans.

  10. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Starting to think this last few years is the worst period I can remember for Detroit sports. I think the team that looks the most competitive some nights might be the Pistons and that’s not saying much, a lot of the time they look undisciplined to me. How is this group of underachievers supposed to win 40 games?

    As far as the Wings go, both goalies are like a sieve. I don’t see anybody who can put the puck in the net on a consistent basis. Also, I’m wondering when the honeymoon period ends for Yzerman. I know he didn’t pick Zadina, but that guy looks like a bust to me.

    Don’t want to talk about the Tigers or the Lions now, it’s all a little depressing. Starting to feel kind of hopeless, we deserve better - we’re good fans.
    That's the problem when a new GM comes in. You've got to give him 3 years minimum before you even begin to talk about how he's doing. Even though fans may have been putting up with losing for years (or decades in the Lions case) none of that is on the new guy.

  11. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    .....none of that is on the new guy.
    Maybe not, but saying 9 -7 and making the playoffs 2 out of 3 years isn't good enough, then giving the fans this kind of garbage, is on the new guy.

    Imo, of course.

  12. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncledave54 View Post
    Maybe not, but saying 9 -7 and making the playoffs 2 out of 3 years isn't good enough, then giving the fans this kind of garbage, is on the new guy.

    Imo, of course.
    You're right. This time the Lions situation was a bit different because there was talent and he was supposed to take them to the next level. I was thinking more about the comment about the Yzerman honeymoon ending, when he's only been in charge for a few months.

  13. #38

    Default

    I’m wasn’t saying the fans turning on Yzerman thing is right or wrong or good or bad or anything. What I was trying to assert was that Detroit sports fans are not dumb, and they don’t have a lot of patience either. If the Wings keep getting blown out of the buildings every night with no signs of any type of progress what so ever (as is the case now) the bloom might come of the rose sooner then you think.

  14. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Iím wasnít saying the fans turning on Yzerman thing is right or wrong or good or bad or anything. What I was trying to assert was that Detroit sports fans are not dumb, and they donít have a lot of patience either. If the Wings keep getting blown out of the buildings every night with no signs of any type of progress what so ever (as is the case now) the bloom might come of the rose sooner then you think.
    Well, patience or not, if they expect Yzerman to turn a last place team around in 6 months or a year then they are dumb. That doesn't mean they should spend money to go to games. If they want to wait until the team is better, that's of course up to them. Pistons & Tigers fans certainly have decided to stay home. At least Yzerman gets a head start on the rebuild.

  15. #40

    Default

    Hockey and basketball can turn on a dime and the Wings and Pistons can easily get back into the game. Baseball and football require complete rosters and one or two great guys won't do it for you.

    Strange thing is that for years, the Lions and the Patriots both had reputations of talented teams that didn't play up to their talents and were underachievers. Bellicheck fixed that for the Patriots. Now the Lions need to find a Bellicheck.

  16. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    The Red Wings are turning the corner with their rebuild, as they have one of the best under-25 cores in the NHL. Two years from now I believe they will be very competitive. I think the Lions quality defense and favorable cap situation means they could improve greatly with a smart draft and key free agent signings.

    On the other side of the coin, the Tigers need 3 or more years and the Pistons cap situation makes my head hurt.

    I think attendance is not bad considering how awful all four teams have been. It does not mean that fans dont care, but that they cannot justify the buck for very little bang. If the Wings or Pistons start winning regularly again, LCA will fill up and these cold winters of ineptitude will be a memory of the past.
    Canít agree with that first sentence regarding the Wings. I donít think their under 25 core is very good. Manta is good, Larkin is good (not great IMO) This team cannot put the puck in the net, power play sucks, defense sucks, goaltending is not good. I honestly think this is the worst Red Wings team ever. At least during the ďdarkness with HarknessĒ era they could beat some teams some nights. This team canít beat anybody, they are beyond horrible. Iím all for giving Yzerman time but, after 5 years of Blashill, combined with a few months of Yzerman I was expecting something better then this.

  17. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Canít agree with that first sentence regarding the Wings. I donít think their under 25 core is very good. Manta is good, Larkin is good (not great IMO) This team cannot put the puck in the net, power play sucks, defense sucks, goaltending is not good. I honestly think this is the worst Red Wings team ever. At least during the ďdarkness with HarknessĒ era they could beat some teams some nights. This team canít beat anybody, they are beyond horrible. Iím all for giving Yzerman time but, after 5 years of Blashill, combined with a few months of Yzerman I was expecting something better then this.
    I now agree 100%. To be fair, I wrote the previous post in January, nearly 12 months ago. 😂

  18. #43

    Default

    The Pistons tried to turn on a dime trading for Blake Griffin and that has not worked. You need to be either a free agency destination (Detroit is not) or get very lucky in the draft/free agency market. The Pistons have been neither. It's hard to get back in the game in the NBA.

    As for the Wings, I think people will be patient with Yzerman as he gets his guys in over the next few years.

  19. #44

    Default

    Not sure what's going on with the Wings. Not only are they losing a lot more than last year but instead of losing by a goal or two, they are getting blown out 5 or 6-1 on a nightly basis. That does not bold well for a coach who was not hired by the current GM.

  20. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    That does not bold well for a coach who was not hired by the current GM.
    Nope not at all. But firing him now doesn't do much for the franchise, which is pretty much deadset on a top pick. Just ride out the season and bring in a new coach next year. Knowing nothing about NHL prospects, is there a can't-miss star in the upcoming draft?

  21. #46

    Default

    And to add to our Detroit sports misery, allow me to take my cap off, again, and shake my head and ask again , 'Why is Lou Whitaker not admitted to the Hall of Fame?' A visit to THE data source on baseball, Baseball-Reference.com is revealing. My survey of 2nd basemen in the Hall found that Lou would be [statistically] in the upper echelon of 2nd basemen in the Hall.

    Name:  lou.png
Views: 63
Size:  74.3 KB

    For example, how about the great Nellie Fox?
    Name:  nellie.png
Views: 65
Size:  55.8 KB

    Or Sparky's other Hall of Fame 2nd baseman?
    Name:  joe.png
Views: 64
Size:  75.4 KB

  22. #47

    Default

    It's a tragedy that Lou is not in the HoF.

  23. #48

    Default

    Tram and Sweet Lou should have gone in together a long time ago---and this is from a guy who thinks the HOF has too many guys in there who don't belong (including a couple Tigers).

    One of the things that always impressed me about Trammell was his keen appreciation of baseball history, starting with the baseball cards he collected as a kid. I loved what he said once about the possibility of ending his career in another city. Something along the line of "I want to look on my bubble gum card and see nothing but a column of DET."

    I honestly believe that if Whitaker hadn't retired one year earlier than Tram, that the two of them would've gone in together---not first ballot, but a few years later. There is a nice symmetry to having been DP partners for 20 years. Those 19 seasons Lou had---HOF worthy in itself---just seems like a long-running TV series that ran a couple episodes short. Out-of-town voters often need a hook, sometimes a contrivance, to justify marking an X on the ballot for someone that rarely saw play. "Hey, Lou and Tram...punched the clock in a lunch-bucket town for 20 years, came in and went out together...longest keystone combo in history...stats are practically identical." Tinker-to-Evers-to-Chance, Detroit version.

    I know that all sounds a bit wistful, but what is baseball at its best but poetry, especially when judging a man's career?

  24. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Pistons and Lions are poorly run organizations. Tigers and Red Wings, are going through a rebuild, so they get the benefit of doubt from me, until I see otherwise.
    Detroit Lions are always a poorly run organization. Filled with bums that they want to paid more to play.

  25. #50

    Default

    Lets see what our Detroit Teams did last in 2019.

    Detroit Tigers: SUCKED

    Detroit Lions: SUCKED

    Detroit Red Wings: SUCKED

    Detroit Pistons BARELY MADE TO THE PLAYOFFS!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Instagram
BEST ONLINE FORUM FOR
DETROIT-BASED DISCUSSION
DetroitYES Awarded BEST OF DETROIT 2015 - Detroit MetroTimes - Best Online Forum for Detroit-based Discussion 2015

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »





Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
DetroitYES! is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to DetroitYES! [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.