Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Detroit Sports Teams

Gentlemen: I believe you would agree…..sports is entertainment, but spending hard-earned money to be entertained by this is questionable, very:

Tigers: 27 games behind [[64-98)
    Lions: Last place [[6-11)
    Pistons: Currently 12.5 games behind [[17-23)
    Red Wings: Currently in last place [[16-22)

Carry On

Our tax money went towards stadiums for this , year after year.
    Far too many foolish people buying tickets to see inferior action.

Tigers and Red Wings at least appear to be committed to a [[necessary) long-term rebuild. Pistons and Lions appear to be stuck in constant mediocrity.

I will say, Tigers tickets were super cheap last season; $10 to catch a game and enjoy the summer weather isn't a bad deal at all. And you can bring your own snacks!

Pistons and Lions are poorly run organizations. Tigers and Red Wings, are going through a rebuild, so they get the benefit of doubt from me, until I see otherwise.

I believe this perfect storm of sucking happened one other time during my lifetime - in the '70's. At least if you're older than 30 you've seen a championship or two, which is more than some cities can say. I do have somewhat of a hard time when people complain about ticket prices. You can get a lower bowl corner Piston ticket for $39. Try doing that in other cities. You can buy the cheapest ticket in Comerica Park and sit almost anywhere in the upper deck and nobody pays any attention. Lions are another story, but they're just masocists.

The Red Wings are turning the corner with their rebuild, as they have one of the best under-25 cores in the NHL. Two years from now I believe they will be very competitive. I think the Lions quality defense and favorable cap situation means they could improve greatly with a smart draft and key free agent signings.

On the other side of the coin, the Tigers need 3 or more years and the Pistons cap situation makes my head hurt.

I think attendance is not bad considering how awful all four teams have been. It does not mean that fans dont care, but that they cannot justify the buck for very little bang. If the Wings or Pistons start winning regularly again, LCA will fill up and these cold winters of ineptitude will be a memory of the past.
    Last edited by DetroitSoldier; January-11-19 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I believe this perfect storm of sucking happened one other time during my lifetime - in the '70's.
    Apologies for off-topic, that just happened to coincide with a period when Metro Detroit as a whole had to go through sucking: a recession which brought the Detroit automakers to their knees, Housing and Urban Development scandals, tax cuts, the start of abandonment of Detroit's neighborhoods...

People talk about the drought, but nobody was complaining when we got to celebrate seven pro team championships in a twenty year period between 1989-2008. Those were some pretty good times, but things tend to even out in the long run.

And, Michigan basketball, Michigan football, and MSU basketball all threw in a championship each during that same period.
    Last edited by sirrealone; January-11-19 at 11:52 AM.

^^ Good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Gentlemen: I believe you would agree…..sports is entertainment, but spending hard-earned money to be entertained by this is questionable, very:

Carry On
    What is even more sad is the team that seems to be closest to a revival is the Lions. When you hitch your wagon to that star you’ve sunk about as low as you can get.

Attachment 37317

Meanwhile, in my adopted home..........

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Pistons and Lions appear to be stuck in constant mediocrity.
    The Pistons actually dug themselves even further into permanent mediocrity by making a trade for a mediocre injury-prone "star" [[in a futile attempt to save the job of someone who was going to be fired anyway), which has thrown them into salary cap hell for the foreseeable future.

As for the Lions, I'm afraid we will have to wait for the end of the Matt Stafford era, whenever that may be, for the needle to move very much. By which time he will have long passed all of the team's quarterbacking records, and have no playoff wins and a string of 7-9ish seasons to show for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I believe this perfect storm of sucking happened one other time during my lifetime - in the '70's. At least if you're older than 30 you've seen a championship or two, which is more than some cities can say. I do have somewhat of a hard time when people complain about ticket prices. You can get a lower bowl corner Piston ticket for $39. Try doing that in other cities. You can buy the cheapest ticket in Comerica Park and sit almost anywhere in the upper deck and nobody pays any attention. Lions are another story, but they're just masocists.
    Seems like they pay attention when you first go in. I have been able to go further down as the innings wear on though.

Blake Griffin has been far from mediocre this season. It's the rest of this roster that is a hot mess. His salary is high, but it's the contracts of Reggie Jackson, Leuer, Drummond and Langston that have firmly planted the team in the "going nowhere" category.

Freep Today: "of the 19 cities across the U.S. and Canada with at least 3 major pro sports teams, none are suffering a worse such slump than Detroit. Even Cleveland has a playoff win the past 3 years.

Welcome to being a Detroit sports fan".
    Last edited by Smirnoff; January-12-19 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    As for the Lions, I'm afraid we will have to wait for the end of the Matt Stafford era, whenever that may be, for the needle to move very much. By which time he will have long passed all of the team's quarterbacking records, and have no playoff wins and a string of 7-9ish seasons to show for it.
    As for the Lions, I'm afraid we will have to wait for the Ford family to sell the team to someone who cares about having a winning football team in Detroit. The only way that will happen is if fans stay away, and I don't see that happening. The Lions estimated value is already rated 31st out of 32, barely edging out the Bills [[a team started by a Detroiter).

I'm a die-hard baseball & football fan, and even though I always root and follow the Lions & Tigers, how they fare really doesn't influence me. This weekend is a perfect example. The divisional playoff round has been my favorite weekend of football since I was 8 years old. The impersonators have been eliminated, and any of the 8 left could conceivably get to the Super Bowl. Would it be more enjoyable if the Lions were still playing ? Sure...but I watch with a slab of ribs and beer and enjoy regardless. The thought of the Lions going on a divisional run like the Patriots is beyond my and your imagination anyway. Pretty much the same when it comes to the Tigers. I'm an admitted bandwagon guy when it comes to the Pistons, and never watch the Wings or any NHL for that matter. I pay more attention to the female Canadian Curling team.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    As for the Lions, I'm afraid we will have to wait for the Ford family to sell the team to someone who cares about having a winning football team in Detroit. The only way that will happen is if fans stay away, and I don't see that happening. The Lions estimated value is already rated 31st out of 32, barely edging out the Bills [[a team started by a Detroiter).
    The Fords have no reason to sell the team, TV revenue makes owning an NFL franchise the equivalent of a license to print money. It’s a 32 member worldwide elite club. As far as the 31st out of 32 thing , Ford bought the team for millions, they could sell it for billions.

Might as well have an excuse for bumping this after almost a year. Here's where they stand as of now.

Tigers: finished with the worst record in the MLB
    Lions: last place in the NFC North
    Pistons: tied for last place in the Central Division
    Red Wings: last place in the NHL

And it's only going to get worse as the Lions lose on Thanksgiving and Michigan loses on Saturday.

As a bonus, the highest paid players on 3 of the teams, and very near the highest in their entire leagues, are either injured [[Stafford) or chronically injured and over the hill [[Griffin, Cabrera).

I've heard enough about the Lions, they've lost so much that I'll be dead before they reach the NFL championship again [[Super Bowl).

The Pistons, aren't the same great team that I've use to know. So far, a bunch of no-names and rookies have been playing on that team, some of them need to be sent to D-League.

The Tigers have lost their edge, so no surprise there. Miguel Cabera will probably be a free agent soon, so after that, they can start from scratch again. What happened to Riley Green? I think he's spent too much time in the minors, we could use him now. The rest of the team can spend some time in Toledo though.

The Red Wings, I'm not so sure. They're not the team they used to be either. They really didn't earn that new stadium that they moved to either. They should've stayed at the Joe, where they won all those Standley Cups.
    If they did, they probably would still be winning.

Anyway, the main thing is, 3 of those teams have owners that love WINNING, and one of them, just wants the money, regardless of how much their team sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post

Carry On
    They all sucked and the seats are half empty and their investors are losing millions and ready to pull out!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    They all sucked and the seats are half empty and their investors are losing millions and ready to pull out!
    Danny speaks wisely. I fear that if the fans boycott Detroit teams, some of the franchises may seek a better location. For example, now that Las Vegas has an NHL team and the Oakland Raiders of the NFL are moving here soon as the current season ends, there are enterprises in Vegas seriously looking for an MLB team to join the Golden Knights and the Raiders. I'm sure other non-MLB cities are on that train.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Danny speaks wisely. I fear that if the fans boycott Detroit teams, some of the franchises may seek a better location. For example, now that Las Vegas has an NHL team and the Oakland Raiders of the NFL are moving here soon as the current season ends, there are enterprises in Vegas seriously looking for an MLB team to join the Golden Knights and the Raiders. I'm sure other non-MLB cities are on that train.
    Well, in the end, Detroit will have to decide, how long they wish to be LOSING in major sports.

We do have winning teams. Even though all of our teams are in a slump right now.

The Lions won't exactly be missed if they move elsewhere. We could probably use Ford Field for Major League Soccer. After all, Gilbert has successful teams that he is an owner of.

The Pistons have shown that the slump won't last forever. Illitch owns teams that have won national championships. I'm sure if even one of those teams screw up, that there would be an IMMEDIATE change in management.

The Tigers may make a comeback next year, if we have the right people. There's a lot of what they should've could've and would've done, if they had the right people in MANAGEMENT.

The Red Wings have a history of WINNING, although they aren't winning as well now. They have shown throughout history that they always had the potential to win.

So in the end, it is up to ALL Detroiters to stand up when you have a team that keeps LOSING to take action, to show that we are TIRED of LOSING and the EXCUSES that come with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    Well, in the end, Detroit will have to decide, how long they wish to be LOSING in major sports.

We do have winning teams. Even though all of our teams are in a slump right now.

The Lions won't exactly be missed if they move elsewhere. We could probably use Ford Field for Major League Soccer. After all, Gilbert has successful teams that he is an owner of.

The Pistons have shown that the slump won't last forever. Illitch owns teams that have won national championships. I'm sure if even one of those teams screw up, that there would be an IMMEDIATE change in management.

The Tigers may make a comeback next year, if we have the right people. There's a lot of what they should've could've and would've done, if they had the right people in MANAGEMENT.

The Red Wings have a history of WINNING, although they aren't winning as well now. They have shown throughout history that they always had the potential to win.

So in the end, it is up to ALL Detroiters to stand up when you have a team that keeps LOSING to take action, to show that we are TIRED of LOSING and the EXCUSES that come with it.
    The Tigers may make a comeback next year? Based on what? They are 2-3 years away in a long rebuild. Lions are going to move out of their own stadium so soccer can be played there, which was already attempted and turned down by the league? We have winning teams although they're all losing now? Do you follow sports at all?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast