Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Pistons attendance seems really dismal. I think they were drawing significantly better at the Palace. I’m talking the last couple years, not way back when they were good.

The Pistons have drawn better at LCA compared to the last 6 or so years at the Palace [[with an equally average team), despite higher ticket prices and higher parking prices. They were drawing better at The Palace when the team was competing for championships, but when the winning stopped, the fans stopped showing up in Auburn Hills.

I blame the poor performances of the Detroit teams on the owners and not management or the coaches. The managers and coaches have to work with the money given to them by the owners. The Red Wings were a dynasty in the 90s under Scotty Bowmen as coach but once he had retired along with Yzerman and Lindstrom [[if I had spelled his name correctly). The Illitches had not gotten the good quality players needed to continue that dynasty. Bill Davidson and Joe Dumas, as general manager, had brought together 5 talented but not superstar men, added a hardline coach, upset and defeated the New York Yankees of basketball; The LA Lakers whom had just brought aboard Karl Malone and Gary Payton for the overkill to win another championship. The 2004 Pistons had quelled that dream resulting in one of the best championship ever won by a completely underrated team. Davidson hope to repeat that, magic, for the following years and save himself money by not having to hire consistent talent but it didn’t work. Detroit team owners will get broken down has been hoping to win a championship. Mat Stanford is grossly overpaid. This is why the Kelvin Johnson and other talents had left the Lions for they see that the owner is not serious about getting the talents needed to get the job done

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I blame the poor performances of the Detroit teams on the owners and not management or the coaches. The managers and coaches have to work with the money given to them by the owners. The Red Wings were a dynasty in the 90s under Scotty Bowmen as coach but once he had retired along with Yzerman and Lindstrom [[if I had spelled his name correctly). The Illitches had not gotten the good quality players needed to continue that dynasty. Bill Davidson and Joe Dumas, as general manager, had brought together 5 talented but not superstar men, added a hardline coach, upset and defeated the New York Yankees of basketball; The LA Lakers whom had just brought aboard Karl Malone and Gary Payton for the overkill to win another championship. The 2004 Pistons had quelled that dream resulting in one of the best championship ever won by a completely underrated team. Davidson hope to repeat that, magic, for the following years and save himself money by not having to hire consistent talent but it didn’t work. Detroit team owners will get broken down has been hoping to win a championship. Mat Stanford is grossly overpaid. This is why the Kelvin Johnson and other talents had left the Lions for they see that the owner is not serious about getting the talents needed to get the job done
    You can blame the owners but money has absolutely nothing to do with any of it. The NHL put in a hard cap and the Wings haven't competed since. Gores has spent too much money by getting Blake, giving Jackson a huge contract and making Casey the highest paid coach in the league, all because he wants to win but doesn't want to suffer through a rebuild. The Lions ownership has always put the wrong management in place but I don't think Martha is calling plays from the booth. The only cheap ownership is the one you didn't mention, the Tigers, where Chris Ilitch has not acquired some capable veterans on short term contracts while the prospects develop.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    You can blame the owners but money has absolutely nothing to do with any of it. The NHL put in a hard cap and the Wings haven't competed since. Gores has spent too much money by getting Blake, giving Jackson a huge contract and making Casey the highest paid coach in the league, all because he wants to win but doesn't want to suffer through a rebuild. The Lions ownership has always put the wrong management in place but I don't think Martha is calling plays from the booth. The only cheap ownership is the one you didn't mention, the Tigers, where Chris Ilitch has not acquired some capable veterans on short term contracts while the prospects develop.
    You are right. Gores had spent too much money by getting Blake, an injured prone has been, and other players. These moves were done under Stan VanGundy who was let go do to his many blunders. However, Gores did put a cap on spending. Detroit team owners don’t have the financial or corporate backers as other team owners across the country probably have. I do give Ford family credit for being ballsy enough to move their team “the Lions” back to Detroit and taking a loss on the Pontiac Silverrdome that was built in the late 70s. I remember hearing that Bill Davidson had said that he would not move the Piston’s back to Detroit and take a loss on the much younger Palace of Auburn Hillls. He he lived, God rest his soul, we would be still driving to Auburn Hills to see a Piston’s game instead of the the LCA. Gores reluctantly moved the Piston’s to LCA after he was offered a sweetheart deal by the city and a few incentives.

My question is willl the Lions be finally sold to this billionaires who seek interest in purchasing them and if sold would the new owner keep the Lions at Ford Field?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3