Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2019 Detroit Auto Show

Why would Ford unveil the Explorer 5 days ahead of the show before most journalists are in town? Are they trying to kill any reason for the remaining ones to show up?

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...al/2513076002/

Just quickly glance at the Lions "winning" record, no surprise.

The auto show? Is that that thing that nobody goes to?

800K went last year, up from the year before.

Shhh don't rain on Poobert's negativity parade.

Nope, won't go, why bother. It's a vehicle, that's all.
    NOT a status symbol, not a dick enhancer, not worth the depreciation in price

Depreciation alone accounts for more than $3,000 -- a year -- every year -

By the time it’s a year old, the vehicle has lost nearly one-third of its value,
    according to Edmunds data.

Take hint Big 3 - love time is over in the D
    39.5 million used cars are expected to be bought in the U.S.,
    up even more from last year,
    while new vehicle sales are expected to decline to 16.7 million
    Last edited by O3H; January-10-19 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post

By the time it’s a year old, the vehicle has lost nearly one-third of its value,
    according to Edmunds data.
    Actually, on a $43K Explorer XLT, first year depreciation is $7K and change, or about 16%, according to Edmunds.com.

https://www.edmunds.com/ford/explore...1/cost-to-own/

and a decline to 16.7 million vehicles is not exactly a horrible year. That was also the projected volume for 2018, which ended up being a better year than 2017, and still 50% higher than during the "great recession" where sales were in the 10-12 million/year range for four years.

Nope, won't go, why bother. It's a vehicle, that's all.
    NOT a status symbol, not a dick enhancer, not worth the depreciation in price...

I don't know, it prompted a response from you.

There is a reason those massive horsepower vehicles are on the market
    Plenty of idiots flying over the speed limits in neighborhoods and cities

The best selling cars in Europe are the
    VW Golf, Ford Fiesta, VW Polo, Renault Clio, and Vauxhall Corsa.

Pickup trucks are the biggest sellers in the US.
    They tend to have base V6 engines that produce 275–300hp or so,
    with optional V8s and sometimes turbo v6s that make 350–400hp.
    Last edited by O3H; January-11-19 at 02:00 PM.

^^ I agree with post #6. I'm never buying or leasing new again. It will always be vehicles that are 3-5 years old for me.

I'm seeing several articles from media outside Detroit describing this as the "end of an era" and last of the NAIAS shows. I realize the show has lost its luster in terms of foreign automakers showing up and new introductions, and the move to June next year along with the new format is probably a good thing, but does this mean there will be even fewer introductions and the press won't show up? It's hard to believe how quickly things have changed in the few short years since COBO finally got renovated. I remember they installed a lift that rises out of the floor in the former arena for new model intros. Did that get used even once?

Baby, it's cold outside.
    Mostly clear, with a low around -1.
    Wind chill values as low as -18.
    Northwest wind 11 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph

Baby, it's cold outside.
    Bring it on! This is Michigan! It's January.

Ark,ark,ark!

I greatly enjoy the option and convenience of driving, but yes per the depreciation factor and price I've only purchased used cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    ^^ I agree with post #6. I'm never buying or leasing new again. It will always be vehicles that are 3-5 years old for me.

Another reason why I really, REALLY try not to complain much during the hot days we have during our short summers! Hah.

Baby, it's cold outside.

The auto show in is decline, the reach of American autos outside of American declining and Ford no longer produces cars. The latter might seem rational now, a sound short-term business plan. But my guess is that it will haunt them in the future. The overall picture: Detroit's automotive business seems deeply troubled, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm seeing several articles from media outside Detroit describing this as the "end of an era" and last of the NAIAS shows. I realize the show has lost its luster in terms of foreign automakers showing up and new introductions, and the move to June next year along with the new format is probably a good thing, but does this mean there will be even fewer introductions and the press won't show up? It's hard to believe how quickly things have changed in the few short years since COBO finally got renovated. I remember they installed a lift that rises out of the floor in the former arena for new model intros. Did that get used even once?
    It's not an issue exclusive to the Detroit show - it's all of them. They are very expensive for exhibitors and with the internet people can basically find everything they want to know about a car online. I don't think that trend is going anywhere.

I'm not an expert or insider, but I don't think the foreign makers come back [[at least in a notable scale) in the summer. My hunch is the show will evolve into a summer festival downtown to celebrate the Big 3. Not a huge media draw, but a fun summer regional event.

Who knows though. The show has half the amount of reveals this year - major downturn. At least they are trying something new as staying with the same would basically kill the show soon. Lost a lot of relevance.

People forget DIESEL is what got them out of the snow storm.
    There will not be any electric snowplows anytime soon in your future.
    Probably won't be an electric ambulance service either.

Most of what moves about on our highways and railroad tracks is diesel.
    Europe uses diesel quite extensively for many ordinary household vehicles
    -- and it snows over there, with ice, and frigid temps as well.

Attendance is down. The frigid weather for sure did not help. Not one bit!

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    The auto show in is decline, the reach of American autos outside of American declining and Ford no longer produces cars. The latter might seem rational now, a sound short-term business plan. But my guess is that it will haunt them in the future. The overall picture: Detroit's automotive business seems deeply troubled, indeed.

People forget DIESEL is what got them out of the snow storm.
    There will not be any electric snowplows anytime soon in your future.
    Probably won't be an electric ambulance service either.

Most of what moves about on our highways and railroad tracks is diesel.
    Europe uses diesel quite extensively for many ordinary household vehicles
    -- and it snows over there, with ice, and frigid temps as well.
    I had a diesel Mercedes about 35 years ago. Didn’t like it, slow, smokey and loud. When the windows were up it was quiet though. It was slightly difficult to start on real cold mornings if it wasn’t plugged in. I’m sure they’re better now but I’m not seeing many of them in passenger cars or SUV’s. I doubt I would ever buy another.

We don't SEE them because the USA heavily taxes Diesel fuel
    -- it's the part truck drivers bury into the logistics of freight haul.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...n-diesel-cars/

Fuel efficiency of diesel cars is about 20% higher than that of gasoline
    Last edited by O3H; January-22-19 at 08:26 PM.

We don't SEE them because the USA heavily taxes Diesel fuel
    -- it's the part truck drivers bury into the logistics of freight haul.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...n-diesel-cars/

Fuel efficiency of diesel cars is about 20% higher than that of gasoline
    Diesel engines are more fuel-efficient. All other factors being equal, diesel engines cost [[a lot) more than gasoline engines and weigh more, often requiring dual batteries for starting. Other components [[suspension & brakes), have to be beefier to handle the added weight. In medium duty trucks, operators can choose between a diesel and a gasoline engine. Whether they save money with a diesel depends on how many miles they drive and how they intend to use it.
    Last edited by Pat001; January-28-19 at 03:07 PM.

I went on Saturday. The weather was cooperating and a lot of people were in attendance. It was a fun. Too bad a lot of the foreign automakers didn't show, but a lot still came such as Infiniti, Acura, Nissan, and Volkswagen, and a car company I had never of - Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    ...and a car company I had never of - Genesis.
    That's Hyundai's upmarket brand.

I volunteered for an exhibition at the show. Toyota and Ford held strong positioning and interest in their usual floor areas. Infinity was in the front area placement, showing very well with some noteworthy styles and engineering. Yes, the European market was very small.

However, Chrysler/ Dodge/ Fiat held it down! Very nice. Most awesome displays and design. I'm not a Dodge fan for personal purchase, but for distinction and styling they are doing it! Lots of buzz in that area constantly, even during the lulls when the weather was very bad.

Their truck models were very numerous and well displayed as well. Go CHRYSLER!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-28-19 at 05:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast