Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Michigan man to get 8 years in prison for smuggling guns to Canada

An otherwise exemplary citizen of Michigan [[no previous criminal record) made one hell of a mistake.

Over the period of a year, he smuggled 67 guns into Canada, using his Nexus card to make it that much easier.

Except, he got caught!

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...to-canada.html

15 of the guns he smuggled have been recovered from Greater Toronto crime scenes.

He's facing an 8 year prison sentence off the top.

On top of which he had a love interest in London, ON, and had hoped to move there to be with her one day.

It is highly likely that when he's done prison, he will be barred from Canada for life.

I'm glad that they caught this guy, but what an idiot! Buying a bunch of handguns in his own name [[In a state that requires registration for handguns), then smuggling them over dozens of trips? How did this guy think he would ever get away with this? One recovered firearm in Canada and the authorities could already have his name, and then use his Nexus card they have a record of all his cross border travels. I'm really astonished that he got away with it for so long.

Not to be confused with MichiganMan!

Whoa! Criminals don't obey gun laws? Didn't see that one coming.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMan View Post
    Not to be confused with MichiganMan!
    I suspected you all that time. The lack of space between Michigan and Man didn't fool me.

Not enough. This should be a life sentence. If Canada doesn't have that, he should do the maximum there, then be sent back for a life sentence here. Plus he should be charged as an accessory in every crime committed with those weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Not enough. This should be a life sentence. If Canada doesn't have that, he should do the maximum there, then be sent back for a life sentence here. Plus he should be charged as an accessory in every crime committed with those weapons.
    The max. under Canadian law for this offense is 10 years.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Canadi...ns_Trafficking

The minimums cited in the above quote actually aren't accurate in that they were struck down as unconstitutional.

I don't see in the law whether any opportunity existed for consecutive sentences here, but I suspect not.

Generally the latter are reserved in Canada for only the most serious crimes [[murder, manslaughter, aggravated assault, kidnapping etc.)

There is an obvious case for charging him for straw purchasing here in the U.S. [[Buying a firearm with the intent to provide it to someone that isn't legally allowed to have one). It's a 10 year felony and can include 250k in fines.

Here’s a very common argument I always hear about drugs:

How Legalizing Marijuana Is Securing the Border:
    By David Bier, the Cato Institute’s Center for Global Liberty and Prosperity.
    December 19, 2018

“State marijuana legalization starting in 2014 did more to reduce marijuana smuggling than the doubling of Border Patrol agents or the construction of hundreds of miles of border fencing did from 2003 to 2009.”

So if this is a true statement, then it has to be also true for the firearms issue. Here is that same comment restated:

How Legalizing Firearms Is Securing the Border:

“State firearms legalization starting in 2014 did more to reduce firearms smuggling than the doubling of Border Patrol agents or the construction of hundreds of miles of border fencing did from 2003 to 2009.”

Makes sense to me!! Border securitycosts, prison costs, legal system costs, the police could be used to go afterreal criminals, the firearms community would be more willing to cooperate withthe police if they’re not afraid of being arrested!!

^^ Right.

The guy at Sandy Hook shot all those kids with joints.

And the guy in Orlando used weed too, I guess?

Vegas? Were those weed leaves flying through the hotel window?

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Here’s a very common argument I always hear about drugs:

How Legalizing Marijuana Is Securing the Border:
    By David Bier, the Cato Institute’s Center for Global Liberty and Prosperity.
    December 19, 2018

“State marijuana legalization starting in 2014 did more to reduce marijuana smuggling than the doubling of Border Patrol agents or the construction of hundreds of miles of border fencing did from 2003 to 2009.”

So if this is a true statement, then it has to be also true for the firearms issue. Here is that same comment restated:

How Legalizing Firearms Is Securing the Border:

“State firearms legalization starting in 2014 did more to reduce firearms smuggling than the doubling of Border Patrol agents or the construction of hundreds of miles of border fencing did from 2003 to 2009.”

Makes sense to me!! Border securitycosts, prison costs, legal system costs, the police could be used to go afterreal criminals, the firearms community would be more willing to cooperate withthe police if they’re not afraid of being arrested!!
    There is no logic to this comparison on several grounds.

1) The arguments for legalization of certain drugs [[not all drugs) is that they cause relatively little harm, less harm than already legal drugs [[alcohol as an example) and that any harm caused primarily falls to the end user [[self-inflicted).

By contrast, firearms, particularly hand guns can and do inflict harm far more serious than smoking a joint, and that harm is often to third parties [[not the purchaser of the gun, although suicide is also an issue).

There is no suicide by pot.

Nor is there any mass-casualty pot.

The comparison is absurd.

2) Further, did I miss the part where guns are legal in ever US State and in Canada.

That even hand guns are legal in most of these jurisdictions though they may be subject to getting a permit of some kind. Or other various restrictions [[magazine size, background check etc.)

The black-market in guns in Canada is largely, though not exclusively, a product of ease-of-purchase in the US [[theft from lawful owners in Canada makes up the rest).

i'll never understand the smug and arrogant looks of these criminals. so smart until they get caught. now that this gentleman has hit the criminal justice system, he's statistically at higher odds of recidivism. the costs to taxpayers and emotional and financial fallout will have wide-ranging impacts on society for years. not to mention the victims of gun crime likely at the hands of weapons he sold/distributed. f this guy.

One things for sure, them Canadians love their guns, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    There is no logic to this comparison on several grounds.

1) The arguments for legalization of certain drugs [[not all drugs) is that they cause relatively little harm, less harm than already legal drugs [[alcohol as an example) and that any harm caused primarily falls to the end user [[self-inflicted).

By contrast, firearms, particularly hand guns can and do inflict harm far more serious than smoking a joint, and that harm is often to third parties [[not the purchaser of the gun, although suicide is also an issue).

There is no suicide by pot.

Nor is there any mass-casualty pot.

The comparison is absurd.

2) Further, did I miss the part where guns are legal in ever US State and in Canada.

That even hand guns are legal in most of these jurisdictions though they may be subject to getting a permit of some kind. Or other various restrictions [[magazine size, background check etc.)

The black-market in guns in Canada is largely, though not exclusively, a product of ease-of-purchase in the US [[theft from lawful owners in Canada makes up the rest).
    Just as Canada supplies the rest of the world with guns and armaments as does the rest of the world supplies Canada.

Entire cases of military weapons,poof,just disappeared.

I seems to be hard to determine exactly how many guns are in Canada,it is on the onus of the buyer and not the seller to register,how many just forgot.

People in Canada are no different then a lot of Americans,they are not that dumb to not want to protect themselves,they are just not going to be running down the street telling everybody that they have a gun at home,and surly not dumb enough to register one with a government agency.

Did they reinstate the long gun registry?

Guns get smuggled into Canada and Herion gets smuggled into the United States from Canada both kill,ships come into Canada loaded with guns and Heroin.

Its the cycle of life,a guy getting caught bringing 67 guns in is like a pea in a can of peas,more so a hobby in the grad scheme of things.

I noticed Tru do mentioned tighter border security to stop the flow of guns,Interesting how if he says it there is no outcry,like in some other countries.
    Last edited by Richard; January-10-19 at 12:57 AM.

The black-market in guns in Canada is largely, though not exclusively, a product of ease-of-purchase in the US [[theft from lawful owners in Canada makes up the rest).”

If Canada and the US both ended the failed, costly, and entirely ineffective “war on firearms” then this problem would go away now. As in the statement above, Canada’s misguided and oppressive restrictions on firearm ownership forces them into the black market across the border where regulations can be less difficult. We need to compare the undocumented immigrant with the undocumented firearmist. Both are just good people who are being persecuted because they lack some stupid piece of paper created by some unelected bureaucratic with nothing better to do. Society has very serious problems like health care and climate change so why are we spending time arresting people just because they are different then us?

What is even crazier is a country saying that it wants to restrict guns but yet maintains a multi billion dollar armament industry,it’s kinda like saying we do not like guns or want them here but we like the revenue they produce.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    The black-market in guns in Canada is largely, though not exclusively, a product of ease-of-purchase in the US [[theft from lawful owners in Canada makes up the rest).”

If Canada and the US both ended the failed, costly, and entirely ineffective “war on firearms” then this problem would go away now. As in the statement above, Canada’s misguided and oppressive restrictions on firearm ownership forces them into the black market across the border where regulations can be less difficult. We need to compare the undocumented immigrant with the undocumented firearmist. Both are just good people who are being persecuted because they lack some stupid piece of paper created by some unelected bureaucratic with nothing better to do. Society has very serious problems like health care and climate change so why are we spending time arresting people just because they are different then us?
    You need a license to drive a car.

Why would you not need one to own a firearm?

This is not some far-fetched idea.

Also it is not hard to legally get a gun in Canada.

You just have to apply for the permit, fill out the paperwork, undergo a background check, pass a written test.

Most people who bother, get the permits.

Really, making it sound sooo arduous is laughable.

If someone is too lazy or stupid to manage the paperwork they are not suited to responsible firearms ownership. Period. Full Stop.

The illegal purchasers generally spend more getting their gun illegally than they would legally.

Typically, the move to purchase illegally is due to a criminal record, desiring an untraceable gun, or a desire to own an illegally modified gun.

All garbage reasons.

I don't want anyone put in the jail because they are different.

I want them put in jail because they are violent and criminal.

It is NOT the border between Ohio and Michigan.
    That line is an International Boundary between two sovereign nations.

He deserves to be crushed !!!!!!!!!!!