Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default PK Subban offers message of hope for young Detroit hockey player

In this morning's Toronto Star:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...st-taunts.html

Apparently a young, black kid, playing minor hockey in the Detroit area has had a tough year dealing w/racist nonsense from some of the opposing players, and perhaps some fans/parents as well.

PK Subban, the [[black) NHL star, heard about this and was nice enough to send out a personal message.

It speaks well of Subban, who has been known to be pretty decent guy, he donated millions to charity while playing in Montreal.

Racism exists everywhere, and is hardly unknown in hockey, especially in smaller Canadian communities [[though many are wonderfully free of such BS too).

But I must confess the article seemed to imply a level of acceptance of it from officials that I find inappropriate.

Anyone have any experience w/this in the Detroit area?

If so is it your perception that is any more or less of an issue than elsewhere?

I've never experienced anything overtly racial at Wings games, but the crowd is easily the least diverse sports fanbase in Detroit.

PK has faced some form of racism in pretty much every city he's been and from many opposing fans. I think he'd be a well-liked Red Wing if he played here; great guy off the ice and plays his butt off on the ice.

PK Suban has really grown into a great role model. Earlier in his career you could tell he was uncomfortable with his role as the best black player in the league, and the unfortunate negative attention that came with that title. I am happy that he has found great success on and off the ice.

Detroit has a young prospect named Givani Smith who has dealt with this as well. If he has the opportunity to play for the parent club, I hope he has a similar positive impact. He has struggled with similar racism to this point in his career.