Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Local Amusement Parks

From the Columbia thread:

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Combine Boblo with having to compete with Cedar Point and the fact that nearly all small amusement parks are now extinct and you begin to realize why the boats were mothballed in the firstplace.

Got me thinking about Edgewater Park on W. 7 Mile near Telegraph.

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/history/index.php?id=104

Any others?

I don't remember it, but some of my older friends swear there was an amusement park on 8 mile and Gratiot. This would have had to be in the late 40s - early 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post
    I don't remember it, but some of my older friends swear there was an amusement park on 8 mile and Gratiot. This would have had to be in the late 40s - early 50s.
    Eastwood Park

A list of all the amusement parks in Michigan, past and present is here.

Retroit Guest

There were threads on this topic in the old forum, but the "Search" function doesn't seem to include the old threads, and the remnants of the old forum [[http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/5/5.html) doesn't have a search function.

Eastwood Park closed before I can remember it, but have a number of good memories of Jefferson Beach in the 50's. After that, had to make the long trek across town to Edgewater.

My grandfather grew up across Jefferson from the huge Electric Park, on the site of the present day Gabriel Richard Park. He worked there as a young boy selling candy, newspapers, and beer, and always talked about the great times he had there, before the religious reformers and prohibitionists shut the place down.

Could be my grandpa in this picture:

Offhand, I remember going to Kiddieland which was next to the West Side Drive-in back in the 50's.

I also remember seeing a little park with just a few rides on VanDyke near M59. I believe it was called Riverside. Never been there.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Offhand, I remember going to Kiddieland which was next to the West Side Drive-in back in the 50's.

I also remember seeing a little park with just a few rides on VanDyke near M59. I believe it was called Riverside. Never been there.
    I know that Riverland Amusement Park closed for public use a long time ago, but that it was open for private parties for a while after that. It may be gone now. Looking at it from an aerial view, it looks like the kiddie rides are all gone.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post

I remember that one - I thought it was closer to 21 or 22 or even 24 mile, but could be wrong. Never been there either but rode past it many times, usually with my family on the way to/from Stony Creek Metropark. Back in those days there was also a Sveden House restaurant there on Van Dyke [[I think near 21 mile - as I recall near the top of a hill) and that Sveden House was unique in that unlike the other one I knew on Harper near 13 mile in St. Clair Shores, the Van Dyke one had a gift shop.

Riverland was on Van Dyke just south of M-59 on the east side of the road. There's some info about that Sveden House on the bowling alley thread. It was on the west side of Van Dyke just north of M-59. It used to be next to a bowling alley that is now Weingartz Lawn Equipment

Ok, so I stand corrected.

Another restaurant I remember that was immediately north - just about right next door - to that Sveden House was a place called Archie's. That was a favorite of my grandparents too. If I remember correctly they served a roast duck dinner there that was a favorite of my grandparents.

Archies was the restaurant above Colonial lanes.
    Later in life it became Costas Greek/family dining, and my aunt ran it for a number of years.

The Sveden house was one of the most unique restaurants I've ever been in.
    From the gift shop to the huge-open floor plan of the dining area to the balcony - it was one of a kind.
    And don't forget the gigantic viking ship painting that covered the entire wall.

I've always wondered what the Svenden house was before they moved in?
    It had to be some sort of playhouse or something theater related?
    It was like an opera house or concert hall inside.