Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Horiffic Accident 1-4-19 on I 696

Living elsewhere as I do, I don't make it home that often, but yesterday, Friday, I passed an accident that could not have happend more than 2 minutes before me coming from DTW and heading towards I75. It was in the exit lane for Mound on I 696. There were 18 cars, about 8-10 directly involved, and what I surmise is another half dozen at least who had tire problems from driving thru the debris. There was a man being pulled out of a car that was upside down and facing the wrong way. I can't find a damn thing on it today, but we went past, exited, and passed several emergency vehicles headed that way. I'd just like to know everyone was ok, anyone have an update.

Quote Originally Posted by txlady View Post
    coming from DTW and heading towards I75. It was in the exit lane for Mound on I 696.
    :: scratches head ::

I don't see any mention of it on Freep or Detroit News sites, so I take that as a good sign. Hopefully the only things seriously injured were the vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by txlady View Post
    Living elsewhere as I do, I don't make it home that often, but yesterday, Friday, I passed an accident that could not have happend more than 2 minutes before me coming from DTW and heading towards I75. It was in the exit lane for Mound on I 696. There were 18 cars, about 8-10 directly involved, and what I surmise is another half dozen at least who had tire problems from driving thru the debris. There was a man being pulled out of a car that was upside down and facing the wrong way. I can't find a damn thing on it today, but we went past, exited, and passed several emergency vehicles headed that way. I'd just like to know everyone was ok, anyone have an update.
    Not sure the circumstances but, I hate driving 696. Some drive like they're on the autobahn.

I wonder why in all of these years Lowell has not opened up a side for issues dealing with the other cities. I know people join forces in saying suburbs, but it should be a side that has each city or township that can voice their opinion on their individual city's struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by bragaboutme View Post
    I wonder why in all of these years Lowell has not opened up a side for issues dealing with the other cities. I know people join forces in saying suburbs, but it should be a side that has each city or township that can voice their opinion on their individual city's struggle.
    The woman saw an accident on an Interstate highway; how does that equate to "struggle" of an individual city?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    The woman saw an accident on an Interstate highway; how does that equate to "struggle" of an individual city?

Thank you.

When I saw the word 'horrific' I thought this was about the one in Florida with 7 dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    When I saw the word 'horrific' I thought this was about the one in Florida with 7 dead.
    Or in Kentucky last night, killing 5 from Michigan. Driver of pickup was probably drunk.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ky/2496550002/

Yes, and they're not driving with the skill set of drivers on the actual autobahn or their doing 30 or 90 mph and nothing in between!

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Not sure the circumstances but, I hate driving 696. Some drive like they're on the autobahn.

SE Michigan drivers are extremely awful, crazy, stupid drivers. We don't know how to drive in the winter when it snows and we like to do 90 when it's 85 and sunny. And apparently Michigan cars are made without indicators. Your F-250 is not a right and you don't own the downtown streets and two parking spaces you've now taken up.

Just another reason we need comprehensive regional transit.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Just another reason we need comprehensive regional transit.
    It's also another reason comprehensive regional transit is an uphill battle. Convincing people to give up that F-250 they use to drive around suburban Macomb county is an agrument that exists beyond the bounds of reason. As long as gas prices are low and parking is readily availible, Johnny from Centerline ain't riding the bus anytime soon, even if he uses his truck to transport lawn chairs and groceries.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    It's also another reason comprehensive regional transit is an uphill battle. Convincing people to give up that F-250 they use to drive around suburban Macomb county is an agrument that exists beyond the bounds of reason. As long as gas prices are low and parking is readily availible, Johnny from Centerline ain't riding the bus anytime soon, even if he uses his truck to transport lawn chairs and groceries.
    No doubt. And that's an already exhausting discussion for another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by bragaboutme View Post
    The impetus for the Discuss Detroit forum, from its 1999 beginning forward, has been about uniting and uplifting the international family of communities that straddle the straits of Detroit. Indeed that it what the discussion is limited to. There are the Connections and Non-Detroit forums for anything else.

Any member is free and welcome to start a thread about any community. Many have as you, as a veteran member, must have seen. However, to wall community off in its own forum would work against the vision of our international metropolis.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    SE Michigan drivers are extremely awful, crazy, stupid drivers. We don't know how to drive in the winter when it snows and we like to do 90 when it's 85 and sunny. And apparently Michigan cars are made without indicators. Your F-250 is not a right and you don't own the downtown streets and two parking spaces you've now taken up.

Have you driven much outside of Michigan?
    I'll accept getting called out for our sky high insurance rates and probably the worst roads too, but when is comes to driving skills Michigan is no where near the bottom [[And honestly, I'd say drivers here are close to the top). If you want to see some of the worst drivers in the country take a trip to Florida or Texas.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-07-19 at 09:55 PM.