Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Cadieux Cafe

Default Cadieux Cafe

Hi folks, I'm doing some research for the new owners of the Cadieux Cafe to help them get an idea of the history and any transformations, especially to the exterior through the years. I'm looking for any photo's from the late 50's to early 70's. If anyone has resources to images from that period I could use the help. I have a feeling it's pretty much as it looks now but I only lived off of Cadieux in the 1990's so have no idea. Many Thanks indeed for any help!

Here is aerial photography from 1949:

Name:  CadCafe1949.png
Views: 1026
Size:  265.9 KB

Visit the Burton Historical Collection at the Detroit Public Library. It was woefully low-tech last time I was there but the reference librarians are very helpful!
    https://detroitpubliclibrary.org/res...cal-collection

https://digital.library.wayne.edu/search?q=cadieux+cafe
    There's a couple images there.

https://digitalcollections.detroitpubliclibrary.org/
    May have some images.

Good luck! I lived a couple blocks from the Cadieux Cafe for years. Many good times there, though the food was very sub-par in recent years. I hope the new owners do some fancy gastropub stuff and otherwise just keep the gem polished.

Nice! Thank you!

These are great links. I seem to remember they had a blade sign that had neon on it back in the day, probably 1940's maybe a little later. The awnings were older metal slat with alternating red and white stripes. There is a BAR sign above the entrance that is now painted over glass block but I'm betting that was a porcelain panel with neon overlay like at the Willis show bar. God, my Dad was on the church feather bowling league there for almost 20 years. I really appreciate the help.

I had a friend who lived in the Williamsburg apartment across from the St Joseph Nursing Home on Cadieux. Does anyone has a history on those three apartment buildings?

On top of the Burton Historical Collection, try the Walter P. Reuther Library and Manning Brothers Historical Photographs. A trip to BSEED to look up the permits for the building and its multiple alterations will help.

You might want to also ask around the local cycling forums, as it's been a local hangout of cyclists for decades.

http://cadieuxbicycleclub.com/the-club/about/

Now the races could held at the Lexus Veledom

Back in the 1980s-90s I used to sit in with the Belgian-American band. Every year, I think it was in August we used to play the bike races. We used to show up about 9 am, set up in the parking lot next to the Cafe, and soon afterwards, some waitresses used to appear with pitchers of beer, and a glass, for each band member, and keep them coming until we got done playing around noon. I'm sure glad that I got a ride to that gig.